Michelle Stafford interview in SOD about her Y&R exit

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MS is smart to take the high road. She's been around the biz a long time and knows that trashing the show in the press will not do her any favors. I tend to believe it was a pure negotiation/business deal. Y&R is a "vet" heavy cast, which means big bucks. That's the businesses. There are plenty of other stories that a show like Y&R can tell. A recast can work - it did before. I do hope that one day she returns to the role. But if she doesn't, she had an amazing run for a character that was only supposed to last a few months - max. I put her in the category of Sheila and JT - characters that were only there to stir up trouble in an isolated storyline, but the actors had that "thing" that made them so much more.

• Members

As much as I love RC, I just couldn't see her as a Phyllis recast. RC just embodies and exudes this upper-class entitled sociaiate, something that Phyllis is not (well she is entitled), basically I just think she is too classy to be a Phylliss recast (I hope that makes sense).

Now a Victoria recast would fit her to a tee!

And I agree that Phyllis, is an essential character to the show. She shouldn't be, but that is how the cards were dealt this past decade, and now she has become a pretty big part of Y&R.

• Members

Reoccurring is a flexible contract. They didn't get rid of her altogether did they? No. She wanted to stay on but be free to pursue other roles..,that's what she got. Glad CK knows she is on the hit list.

Well, they can take the opportunity with a recast to retool the character. If she will be paired with Jack, upper crust socialite works well.

• Members

First of all, I can't WAIT to read this article for the tea that is going to be spilled.

Secondly, I am not a fan of MS's backstage history. But in front of camera, Phyllis is needed. She polarizes, she pisses people off, she is cray, she makes things happen. Otherwise, we are going to get a LOT more scenes of Dylan and Chelsea waking up on a futon in their empty soundstage loft. Or Michael Muhney and that chick who played Siobhan on GH reaching new lows in anti-chemistry.

Since Stafford and Victoria Rowell have ostensibly made up on Twitter at least, I would love if they both marched back arm in arm onto Y&R six months down the line. I think MS has been somewhat humbled by JFP and Sony to know what it is like to be on the receiving end of hatred and toxicity. Maybe it will give her pause from now on.

Finally, I was going to suggest Robin Christopher as a Phyllis recast but somebody up-thread suggested a recast Victoria. OMG, that is an AMAZING idea! RC would be a perfect, icy, upper-crust Victoria! If Heather Tom cannot be enticed back to the show, that is. Heather will always be my first choice.

• Members

Without knowing what each of them "wanted" we can't really say that Michelle wasn't offered a contract as good or better than CK's. Hasn't CK been bumped to recurring? Was that her choice? Plus, I always think we have to be careful about believing that the actors "choose" to go recurring or "choose" to leave. Since the details aren't available, it's possible MS was offered something that was so insulting it was designed to give her little choice but to walk away. We just don't know. I prefer to believe Michelle had certain stipulations and those were not met, so she made a decision that was in her own best interests -- whatever those are. I choose not to make assumptions about her ego and whether or not her expectations were reasonable because IMO, it doesn't really matter. Only she knows what her decision factors were.

• Members

Besides the CE claims, I am curious as to what backstage antics MS has done that people are referring to. I know she is a straight shooter, and cusses like a sailor, but her cast mates seem to like and respect her. I have heard about a Diva on the Y^R set and it wasn’t MS.

Archived