Netflix: Orange Is The New Black: Discussion Thread

ChitHappens

• Members

Oh most definitely, I think I was reading an article with Jenji (creator of the series) and she said the show could survive without Piper. I did like Piper a lot more this season though and I even liked Healy more... go figure since I thought he was an asshat last season ... especially on the finale.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw the first two episodes so far.

I thought there was some brilliant stuff in Piper's journey and I am satisfied with how they wrapped up the story.

There is only one word that comes to mind regarding Alex Vause. dry.png

Taystee has my heart.

I really feel for Red and what she's going through. Surprisingly, episode 2 reached a good note in her story.

Thank God this show is back.

• Members

Hahaha Thanks Mr Vixen. well, she is that and then some. Alex is so damn insufferable. I seriously don't want her back for S3 and I hated that for as little as she's shown she got to do that much promo. I would have loved other people to be able to go out and do stuff.

• Members

Just finished the season. I actually think this season surpassed S1. I think Lorraine Toussaint and Uzo Aduba deserve Emmy noms for the work they did.

I love the way the show moved from being "about" Piper towards being a real ensemble. Piper pretty much became secondary this season.

• Members

I just finished #7 and I'm in agreement that this season is better than the first. I'm so glad this show isn't weighed down by half-ass mysteries and attempts at action/adventure bullsh!t. It's character-driven drama, and it's fantastic. If they play their cards right, it can last for at least 6 or 7 seasons, if not longer.

Thoughts so far:

- Poussey is much more bearable this season, especially after seeing her backstory. They really tried too hard to make her "hood" last season. I'm glad they're moving away from one-dimensional portrayals like that.

- Cindy is still far from a sympathetic character for me.

- Morello is batsh!t insane, and I need for the rest of the prison to find out.

- I am COMPLETELY IN LOVE with the set-up of Red, Vee, and Gloria as the boss bitches of their respective subcultures. Any time Kate Mulgrew and Lorraine Toussaint are on screen together, the only thing more electric than their chemistry is their hair.

- So glad Suzanne is being highlighted more this season.

- It goes without saying, but Bennett is one fine piece of ass.

- The flashback method of each episode is something that I honestly feel would never ever get old. Just when you think it's getting formulaic, each backstory is fresh and real, and it just works.

• Members

Up to episode 5:

Yael Stone has always been great as Lorna but the reveal of her mental illness and that Christopher is nothing but a man she's been stalking was fantastic. Her breakdown on the phone was a revelation. I really felt for her. I'm also feeling more for Healy, douchebag that he is.

The set up of Red vs Vee vs Gloria is brilliant. You know some serious stuff is about to happen.

• Members

I'm on eppy 8, and I can't say enough how much I'm loving how we are getting a glimpse of the ladies past and what got them where they are today. Tastee and Poussey's past are super fascinating. Cindy? Her past is not much of a stretch, but she's entertaining as hell (the little sister is really the daughter? Soapy Goodness!)! The Latina robbing banks? I know damn well she aint locked up in minimum security when that is a federal offense? Gonna wait and see.

Poussey's past is quite interesting, and her "Power To The People" is a sham. She thought her assimilation was complete until dear old dad showed up. Back to reality, but the actress' German was extraordinary. Just fluent as hell. Loved it.

Lorraine is one helluva casting decision. Vee is a smooth operator and I love her!

I hope Alex is gone for good!

Piper? Don't care.

Tucky? There is more to be done with this character. She seems to have abandoned her "hero" status and the work she was doing for the Lord. I miss that because it is what endeared her to me.

Red! Love her! Love Kate Mulgrew!

Sophia? Don't care, but I'm super happy for Laverne Cox, her Time cover and what this means for anyone who might be afraid to be themselves.

• Members

Seems like they should all be in for Federal offenses since they are in low security federal (Club Fed) prison right? That's why most of them are up for drug crimes. My guess is the bank robber started off in max and was sent to minimum either for good behavior or because of her illness.

I have very little sympathy for Piper. I understand that 22 year olds make mistakes, but getting involved with a drug cartel? She had a lot going for her, so it's hard for me to rationalize that kind of lack of judgement. If nothing else shouldn't fear have stopped her? Not even fear of the law, but fear of getting involved with a cartel?! I read the book, so I agree with Piper's thought that everybody screws up and only some people get caught, but not everyone screws up on this level when they have so many advantages.

Even though Piper said she's just like everyone else in the prison, I always get the feeling that she doesn't think she deserves her sentence. I very much disagree with that. I think she deserves to be in prison even more than many of the others.

I have to say that the actress who played V was really good. She fooled me a few times with that loving mother act. I knew it wasn't real because of her very first scene with Tasty and yet she sucked me in a couple of times.

• Members

My only complaint with the season is that Sophia and (to a lesser extent) Tucky could have had more to do. Since Tiffany was a major character in the first season, her being sidelined this time around wasn't that big of a deal, but her story arc just was all over the place. I'm still not sure what the point of her story was this season. Taryn Manning owned every single line, though.

Sophia, I think, could have had more to do with the Vee/Red story, but it was good to not have all of the black inmates blindly following Vee or in conflict with her.

Archived