Netflix: Orange Is The New Black: Discussion Thread

ChitHappens

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loathe Piper (I loathe Alex more) but she does do nice things that I find myself going That's nice -- like when she got them to reopen the track so the track star could run. I thought that was really nice.

I was cracking up when Jason Biggs' character was dragging her and they were all listening.

• Members

Having the track reopened was kind of nice, but she did it out of guilt, for the screw driver incident. Plus she sold someone else down the river to make it happen (lady with the phone), so it still leaves me feeling ambivalent about her. I can't quite hate her, but she grates on me sometimes.

Mendez is really weird. He played a pretty big role in Trish's death, but he didn't even seem to care at all. I guess I see his character as one of the campy elements of the show, so when he faked her suicide it was a clash in tone for me. I also didn't quite get Trish's back story. They wouldn't send you to Federal prison for stealing a $20 necklace. Did they somehow get her on all the stuff in her book? Maybe it was running from the police. It just seemed weird.

Alex can be smug at times, but I understand why she ratted on Piper. I don't care much for Larry.

Overall, I feel really bad for most of these women.

• Members

Oooo theft no matter how much the item actually was will get you prison and a fine. I remember watching something and the guy stole about $20 worth of stuff and it would be jail and a big fine like 500 or 5000 (you can usually read the signs in the store) and he said he didn't know why he did it considering he had the money and running can equate to evading police or resisting arrest. Her story was sad.

• Members

Under $20 would be a misdemeanor. I can't imagine a judge sending someone to federal prison for that. I used to work in the public defender's office in Anchorage, AK. People would get off without serving time for shoplifting over and over again. Small time property crime wasn't taken that seriously given the number of violent and/or drug offenders the system had to deal with.

I mean, one lady was arrested for the 10th time (I'm not exaggerating) and the judge let her go with a suspended sentence and mandatory counseling . A lot of people shoplift due to mental issues. I think that's why some judges are a little more understanding. Look at people like LiLo and Wynonna Ryder. It's not always because of money.

A fine, I can see, but Trish looked like she was doing real time, in federal prison. That's the part that doesn't quite gel for me. Even resisting arrest should be a state charge. Maybe they got her on drugs down the line or something. I felt like her story was cut short. I wanted to know more about her.

Tastee was probably one of the saddest stories for me. It's really a shame that more isn't done to help people transition back to a normal life. How can you start over on the outside when you don't have any support system at all?

That last scene was crazy. I don't want to wreck it for anyone, but I'll admit I was shocked and I liked Piper a little more after that.

• Members

But don't they say that where they are is a minimum security place... Because I remember after Miss Claudette assaulted that CO, they said she was going to maximum and not returning.

LMAO, me too! But she had it coming and I HATE Healy, like GTFO!

• Members

They are in minimum security federal prison. You go there for crimes against the United States. In the paper work it would say The United States V. Piper Chapmen. Personally, I would find that terrifying. The governemnt of the United States has decided to bring the full weight of it's authority and resources against you. That doesn't happen when you steal a $20 necklace. Petty theft is a crime against the state, not the country. You get federal time for things like tax evasion, insider trading, RICO, drug running across state lines, kidnapping across state lines. Actually, I would still be terrified just to see The State of Whatever V. Julia Mark on a document, but still.

Healy is gross. When Piper told him off, I thought she had the moral high ground, but was an idiot for doing it. It's part of her entitled behavior. She's in prison for committing a fairly serious crime, not at a dinner party where she has the right to tell off the obnoxious conservative guy to her left. Still, I can't believe he just left her there to fend for herself against that nut job.

I also sort of call bullshit on the guard who basically said anyone could be where Piper is, it's just a matter of bad luck. Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone makes the kind of mistake that lands you in prison for over a year. She didn't get caught with a little weed or coke, she ran money for a drug cartel. It annoys me that she tried to sell the notion that she was a victim of the system in her book (which is worth reading). I do give her props for being respectful of her fellow prisoners and not claiming to be any better than they are.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Watched the first three episodes. Really enjoying it so far. Piper is such a fascinating character. You think you know all there is to know about her and then she surprises you. Her dealing with Crazy Eyes (and Crazy Eyes peeing on the floor for revenge) is hilarious.

I thought Red was heartbreaking in her flashbacks.

Dayanara and Bennett are SO sweet. Bennett's a cutie.

Mendez is SUCH a disgusting bastard.

I like Sophia too

Archived