"All HER Children"--Agnes Nixon's Biography

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is, and it also goes into the stigmas of soaps (he interviews a shrink who thinks they cause women all kinds of problems) and all that as well.

*disowns Pine Charles*

While I hope Nixon does pen her memoirs as she said--and actually says some mean things--a bio by someone else would probably be duller than Lucci's even. Unless they delve into her awful sounding family growing up--otherwise she seems to have had a pretty great life, really.

• Members

You would miss it if I didn't tongue.png I have two hardcover copies--but didn't know it went to paperback.

It actually got some backlash from the soap press at the time--who were a bit against AMC's "trendy" image in general. Stuff like "Why does this soap get a high profile book when World hasn't??" Though he's actually really generous and fair on all soaps.

Dan Wakefield is a great novelist Going All The Way is a great book as is Starting Over and both were made into decent movies, and he has written a lot of great essays (including some about being a man of faith who has no respect for the religious right.) He also created the much loved 70s teen series James at 15/16 which inspired Dawson's Creek. It's one of the few soap books that really is a pleasure to read just as a book. I remember a friend who doesn't watch soaps but was staying with me for a weekend picked it up (because I leave copies strategically all around my house, of course wink.png ) and said he was just going to flip through it, but ended up reading it all.

I love the bit where he says he listened to radio soaps as a kid, but thought for a teenaged straight male to admit that would be worst than being caught by his parents jerking off--and then he went to a party around his high school grad where a bunch of drunken guys suddenly all started quoting the opening to Ma Perkins and realized how many people secretly listened.

He was originally meant to be the one to co-create Loving with Agnes Nixon, not Marland. I wonder what happened--though I suspect he just realized a soap was too much work. He's still around, I would love to know how long he kept up his obsession with AMC.

Yeah, bra, like Fra is a total bra. (How else would one pronounce it?)

• Members

Mine is Paperback.

You saying that you like to place them strategically around your house is something I would do. I am always using examples from soaps in conversations (and I am really good at incorporating them. I never make them sound random) but since I live with my parents I would leave something like my "Writing for Soaps" book open at a good part in the bathroom when company is over.

Fra could be pronounced as "Fray".

Archived