DAYS: Jason47's Tribute: Suzanne Rogers Celebrates 40 Years as Maggie!

• Members

Jason47's Tribute: Suzanne Rogers Celebrates 40 Years as Maggie on "Days of Our Lives"

Suzanne Rogers joined the "Days of Our Lives" family exactly 40 years ago this Saturday, July 13, 1973. On that day, she auditioned for the role of farmgirl Maggie Simmons, a young woman whose parents were killed in a car crash. Maggie was also injured in that car crash and had to use crutches to walk. She got the job and taped her first episode # 1946 on July 18, 1973. "Days" was in the process of being preempted a record 20 times due to the Watergate Senate hearings, and so her debut episode did not air until much later than planned, on August 20, 1973. Over the course of the next four decades, Maggie survived an amnesiac husband (who was already married), a bout with alcoholism, the adoption of baby Melissa, the surrogacy of baby Sarah, the death of her long-time love Mickey, a new-found son (Daniel) and romance with a very unexpected Salemite (Victor). Rogers, meanwhile, won a Daytime Emmy (the first-ever in the supporting actress category), had to leave "Days" for a year while she dealt with the effects of her battle with myasthenia gravis (which was eventually written into the storyline) and the loss of her job for a few months when everyone in Salem started being killed off in 2003. Congratulations, Suzanne, on 40 years as Maggie. May you enjoy continued success and many more years of "Days!"

Stop by Jason47's Days Website and check out this special tribute to Suzanne. Read her entire debut script from 1973 and her first wedding ceremony with Mickey from 1974. Check out many video clips of her time on "Days", including a scene from her first episode, Mickey & Maggie's first Christmas, Mickey giving Maggie the red shoes, and many more...including a funny blooper which must not be missed! Plus, see rare footage of Suzanne in one her last jobs before joining "Days", when she was a member of the Los Angeles cast of the play "Follies" in 1971. Also, be sure to check out a special collection of photos of Suzanne, showing her with all her leading men and many cast members past and present. Plus, read many of the interviews Suzanne has given through the years, and check out the special section "Maggie By the Numbers", which lists how many episodes Suzanne appeared in for every month she's been on "Days!" All that and more at http://www.jason47.com

suzannemontageA.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you for the tribute, Jason. I've loved Suzanne from the moment she appeared on screen. Although she won the first daytime support actress Emmy, she's always sort of flown under the radar -- not much recognition, not much publicity, not much of a storyline for probably half of her 40 years on the show. But boy, she has survived long past most of her 70s contemporaries -- not just on her show, but in all of daytime. I have always appreciated her warm, gracious presence ... even when she was playing drunk, she was classy. I hope she continues with the show as long as it lasts.

By the way, I don't think that is Suzanne in the Bloopers clip with Jim Reynolds, Wayne Northrop and Deidre Hall. I believe the redhead is Jean Bruce Scott (Jessica Horton).

• Members

Lovely tribute to a lovely lady. I admire Suzanne's strength in overcoming both professional and personal hurdles. I heard her say that she gives each performance her all, even if it is one line, because it may mean something to one person watching. Thanks Jason for these memories.

Archived