Antenna TV Thread

allmc2008

• Members

Watching the ep where Kevin wants to be a nurse, and I can't deal with George and Marsha being assholes because they think he's "settling." Kevin goes off, saying that they've pressured him his whole life to "be anything" even though he's always made average grades in school. He says that being a nurse is an honest profession that's "more than average," which is a very interesting point I wouldn't have expected.

The episode where a camp counselor touches Wesley inappropriately comes on Monday. This should be good.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to say, I'm enjoying "Newhart" more than I thought I would.

I'm still at the beginning of Season 3 and I'm still not sure if Michael is a great addition or is just there, but I have to say that I did like Kirk and do wish that he'd have stayed.

The same doesn't go for Leslie, who I thought was as interesting in cold oatmeal. Thank God the producers decided to keep Stephanie around after her guest-starring eppy in Season 1 because she's my favorite character on the show.

I'm still not sure if George is supposed to be a dimwit or shade king. Some of his lines truly make me wonder.

Does Larry, brother Darryl, and other brother Darryl get interesting from here or is this (season 3) all that there is to them?

I still love that theme song as much as I did when I was a kid.

• Members

I've been loving Newhart as well. I vaguely enjoyed it as a kid, and now that I'm a huge, huge fan of Bob's 70s show, I'm glad that I've gotten a deeper appreciation for Newhart as well. Everything is just so calm, peaceful, and laid back, and I love it. That opening sequence/theme is just perfect.

I'm not huge on Michael. I prefer Kirk (season 2, at least), I prefer Stephanie single, and I prefer just having Dick at the inn instead of having the talk show element. I've read that as the years go on, more and more of the show focuses on Vermont Today instead of the Stratford, and I'm not looking forward to that.

Larry, Darryl, and Darryl get better, IMO. They do a good job of developing all three of them without the Darryls ever speaking a word, and there are quite a few episodes at the end of 3 and beginning of 4 that focus on Larry's relationship with his brothers.

In regards to Belvedere, the counselor ep aired today, and it was very, very interesting to see how they handled it. The thing that stuck out to me most was that they didn't dumb Wesley down. They never once portrayed him as an oblivious kid with absolutely no understanding of what happened. I was honestly expecting Diff'rent Strokes style shenanigans with the counselor, but they went no further than having him rub Wesley's shoulders and arms just a little too long before Wesley got a clue.They totally played into his character as a troublemaker being the impetus to him and the counselor being alone. And then later, Wes actually comments that he kept the counselor's touching a secret because he felt guilty for "taking advantage of him" to get away from the strict counselor. The follow-up with the parents was way too brief, but other than that, it was a pretty decent VSE.

I peeked ahead at some episode summaries from later in the run, and now I'm most looking forward to the episode where my boo Kevin becomes a stripper wub.png

Bruh, I've always heard of the AIDS episode, but damn, I didn't realize that line was real.

• Members

I have AITF on as background noise at the moment, and I have earbuds in while doing some work. After the first episode goes off, I suddenly look up and see the beginning of One Day at a Time's opening credits. I got EXTREMELY excited, but then it turned out to be a promo. The good news is that it's officially joining the lineup in April! Absolutely can not wait. I've been so pleased with just Newhart and MB, so if I can get into ODAAT the way I have a strong feeling I will, Antenna will have knocked it out of the park this year. I'd like to see them do another shake-up for the 50s/60s shows, but I feel like that'll come in time.

• Members

So far I haven't been watching the Newhart reruns on Antenna TV since I have the DVDs for the 1st 4 seasons. (Wish Shout Factory would pick up the pace and release Season 5 already.) I still prefer Bob's 70s series, but both are great shows that you can watch repeatedly and not get tired of them.

While I think Stephanie was a definite upgrade over Leslie, I wish Kirk had remained. I like Michael in scenes with Dick at the TV station, but a little of Michael/Stephanie together goes a long way, and it starts to really dominate at times in the later seasons. I recall reading in TV Guide back then that the pairing was being considered for a spin-off once Newhart eventually ended. Luckily that didn't happen, and the final episode guaranteed that no spin-offs of any kind were going to be possible. Still, even with the overdose of Michael and Stephanie's relationship, there was always enough humor so you weren't left disappointed.

Also, watching the series again now, I have a greater appreciation for Tom Poston than I did originally. Sometimes George seems naïve and sometimes dumb; and every once in awhile, it seems like he might just be the only one with any sense at all.

• Members

Great news about ODAAT! The 1st season was released on DVD several years ago, but there was never any follow-up. I haven't seen it in reruns anywhere since the mid-90s when E! aired a daily block of reruns of ODAAT, Alice, and WKRP. (That was back when the only Kardashian you ever saw on E! was Robert, thanks to their constant OJ trial coverage.)

• Members

Yes, from what I understand, ODAAT hasn't been seen in US television since then, so nearly 20 years for a show with 200+ episodes. Even on Hulu, it's just the first season, so I'm really looking forward to it. On Facebook, they confirmed that The Jeffersons will be joining in April also and that the new schedule will be released in late March. Hopefully ODAAT gets a good timeslot. Post-primetime would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The final season of Belvedere started today, immediately following a clip show with Wezlih and Belvedere trapped in the attic. The friendship between those two is just awesome. The writers really put a lot of warmth in their love-hate relationship, and you can tell it was a real-life thing between Christopher Hewett and Brice Beckham. They're like Brian and Stewie without Seth MacFarlane's creepiness. BB really turned into a great young actor as the show went on.

• Members

I wish I could get Antenna TV here, but only get Me TV (recently). It would be neat to see the sitcom Alice again. I haven't seen that show in years. Flo was the first sitcom trailer trash floozy.

The bad thing about most oldie/classic TV channels, they start out with a cool format, then slowly they start bringing in more newer shows and add original programming. Then the networks format changes and becomes like every other channel. Look at what happened to TVLand.

• Members

ALICE and HEAD OF THE CLASS would be perfect for Antenna TV!! To help round out the 50s/60s group, I'd like something like My Three Sons or Julia. Those might be more suited to MeTV, though.

The TVGuide app now has the weekday schedule for April 6th up. Still haven't found anything for the weekends. I'm in Central time zone, btw. Shows in parentheses are what's being replaced in that time slot.

5am: McHale's Navy (Patty Duke)

6am: Hazel (FKB)

7am: Father Knows Best (Mister Ed)

8am: The Patty Duke Show (Hazel)

9am: Mister Ed (Burns and Allen)

10am: Green Acres (McHale)

11am: Bewitched (Green Acres)

12pm: I Dream of Jeannie (Dennis)

1pm: Dennis the Menace (Jeannie)

2pm: Leave It to Beaver (Bewitched)

3pm: Mr. Belvedere (Beaver)

4pm: Three's Company (Belvedere)

5pm: Barney Miller (Three's)

6pm: Sanford and Son

7pm: Good Times (AITF)

8pm: All in the Family (Good Times)

9pm: The Jeffersons (Newhart)

10pm: One Day at a Time (Barney)

11pm: Three's Company

12am: Newhart (Too Close)

1am: Doogie Howser, M.D.

2am: Bewitched

3am: I Dream of Jeannie

4am: Burns and Allen (Maude)

So it looks like Maude and Too Close for Comfort are leaving the weekday schedule. They both have a weekend hour, but who knows what the weekends will look like now? I'm excited for ODAAT's time; that's the exact spot I had in mind for it ever since they announced it. Perfect place for it.

I don't understand why they constantly jumble around the same shows. The daytime lineup has been completely changed, but it's the same shows, so what's the point? They need to finally put The Flying Nun and the Monkees on for weekdays.

Why are they swapping AITF and Good Times in primetime? Either one would make a good lead-in for The Jeffersons.

I'm glad Belvedere is still on. Several people on another board strongly believed it and Doogie Howser would be sacrificed for the new Lear shows. Doogie, I couldn't care less about, but I need them to at least get through the rest of Belvedere's run before it's off weekdays. I know I'm gonna cry for the series finale.

Interested to see what the weekends will have. Weekend primetime is non-Lear, so I'm assuming Newhart and Evening Shade will stay put. I doubt the 3-hour WKRP block will last.

A lot of this would be fixed if they didn't insist on hour-long blocks for every single show (barring The Ropers and Three's a Crowd).

Archived