GH50: Discussion for the month of July...

• Members

Some official podcasts--radio shows etc are ok by me but these fan ones (and let's not fool ourselves--that's what they are) tend to be ENDLESS and so badly done. You don't have to just blather on. A regular podcast shouldNOT be over an hour (or even half an hour frankly) and some effort should be made into structure--don't just turn on the mic.

So I was away last week so missed GH but so little seems to have happened that I am not even gonna bother trying to catch up or read summaries.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well said. While I admit my emotional investment in any of them is pretty low, thinkin about the show there are so many open storylines, lack of conclusion, little teased secrets (like what Taylor has over her brother though I'm sure that's obvious) that just get dropped for what seems like eons, while new characters and stories open up (if they aren't dropped completely.) And then the scenes we do get right now seem to be endlessly recycled--as others have said here, it seems like the new Quartermaines were rambling around in the QUartermaine living room the entire time I was away not watching, which honestly starts to feel a bit like the endless repetition on Passions. Michael is already so in love with Starr that he needs to get out of town to resist temptation?

• Members

Thanks. Yawn.

Agnes Nixon used to always quote the Charles Dickens (or was it WIlkie Collins) comment about serialized fiction--Make 'em laugh, make 'em cry and make 'em wait. Not that RC is currently doing much of this at all, but his idea of making them wait, IMHO, is just empty, useless badly done soap cliches. Seriously, do audiences even care that Patrick and crew are endlessly fooled?

• Members

Yup. He misses pretty much every beat, or gets it backwards, or wrong. It's like we're told what's going on half the time instead of seeing it. We go weeks without seeing characters (his excuse is "rotating storylines"). And then the wrap up takes place off-screen and then weeks later characters return (I still can't get past Duke and Anna being gone for weeks after the Faison story wrapped). At least there was SOME emotional fall out for Anna but everyone knows what I mean.

And the scriptwriters are a mess. Awful dialogue. I'd also lay blame at the breakdown/script writers. The whole show is just a disaster.

• Members
True. Some podcasts aren't awful. I probably could have specified but yeah to what you said.

I wouldn't bother to watch. There's always clips on YouTube (you aren't blocked from watching YouTube right? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I know video is sometimes restricted by region of course, Canada/US, etc.). I was catching up that way for a little bit until I started to make an effort to watch again since I've been home during the time GH is on.

• Members

The CarSon scenes were really good! Well done on all levels! I love Mo/Sonny and LW/Carly together as non lovers. They really fit.

FF FrankenTodd and Ava. Nothing of interest at all!

How much you willing to bet, Tracy decides to camp out at TMC in Luke's room and not return to what used to be The Q Mansion? That will be her reason for not being seen at the mansion while Monica never gets any screen time as it is.

I don't give 2 sh!ts about Connie and can't wait for her to be gone, but Liv is bogus as hell to move in with Sonny! Bogus as hell!

• Members

Helena poisoned Luke with polonium, the same radiation that was killing Jerry Jacks last fall. Jerry had been ransoming Port Charles in order to acquire funds to pay someone for a cure - judging by his survival and subsequent involvement in the abduction of Robin, it seems clear that "someone" was Helena, who was (and probably still is - Helena never dies) apparently using Jerry as a minion or mercenary. Luke and Anna discovered the report on Jerry and his radiation poisoning in the WSB files, and when Luke discovered someone had collected on Jerry's ransom despite his supposed death, he decided he's going to go and try to track Jerry down in order to find a cure.

On its own, that is actually a perfectly fine way to tie two big stories together - and while goofy, the whole radiation poisoning gambit from Helena is classic GH. The problem is that the Robin storyline has been limping along for well over a year with no end in sight, and there's a whole lot of other crazy [!@#$%^&*] on this show.

I think we've now had 3 or 4 days in a row with Franco and Ava in the Quartermaine mansion, which is just amazing.

• Members

I think some podcasts are good and others are not. For me the length isn't an issue depending on the amount of topics discussed. If you are talking about one show, a 30 minute weekly show may be excessive, but if you discuss the four shows on television, plus AMC and OLTL that would be devoting less than 5 minutes on each show once you get through the introductions.

The thing that gets me about the stuff in the Q mansion is that the people in the mansion haven't earned it yet.

Archived