AMC: Week Of July 1, 2013 Discussion

• Members

I thought I would enjoy doing them back to back but I won't next week- did AMC separate and enjoyed that more than OLTL double dose. Maybe I'll pair AMC/OLTL twice a week and watch them back to back old school style. I thought the second ep of AMC was strong.

I was enjoying JR/Cara but David/Cara broke my heart- I am so excited to meet Oliver whenever that is. They were both very very good in the coffee shop scene. Also Cady McClain just looks so lovely with her hair pulled back.

Now that Cass is free, I'm excited to get to know her as a character beyond just the victim of this tragedy. I don't really remember much of her from ABC. I think they could have done a powerful story without the pregnancy but I'm not opposed to that development.

Seeing everyone on the interview set made me so nostalgic for WRCW & The Cutting Edge. I thought Julia Barr did good work in that interview scene.

Continue to be shocked by the fact that I like Lea & Zach. He is actually kind of fun with her & chemistry is there for me at least.

I like the bemused way David deals with Colby. After being so Celia heavy the first month, the show seems to be backpedaling a bit as she was kind of window dressing this week and not on last week. That's working well because now I'm actually kind of ready to get back to developing the guardian/nightmare mystery.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have done a much better job with the balance.

Zach IS actually fun around Lea. He and Kendall should stay apart. I want Kendall away from him for the most part when (IF they can snag Alicia full-time, that is) she returns. I think they wasted her for so long on the endless Ryan/Zach relationships. I want her as her own character for a while.

• Members

I am really excited for the inevitable "David finds out he has a son" story. And I have a feeling about Colby being a big mouth who doesn't know that Miranda doesn't know. I mean US gag orders are not executable internationally.

Honestly though how many "child of rape" stories can this show handle. I at least hope they take it in the opposite direction, just for story constrast.

• Members

I HAVE to believe that the writers have another angle they intend to pursue. I don't see anyone in their right mind thinking that Cassandra should carry to term especially given that she been given copious amounts of heroin, booze, methadone and suboxone. Not even God-fearing, ever praying Angie. Which begs the question...how long was Cass supposed to be gone? It seemed like a week or two but her condition (the pregnancy and addiction) seems to be of someone who was gone at least a month. Frankly the heroin angle doesn't ring true for me because we never saw her under the influence. We know they gave her drugs but often enough to get her physically addicted? That doesn't match what we saw on screen. JMHO.

Anders reminds me so much of Zachary Quinto's Sylar from the show Heroes that I half expect him to cut someone's head open.

• Members

Someone on here mentioned that Anders seems mildly autistic. Having a step father who actually is a very successful doctor but has at least Asperger's (though I would trust that he would have at least a somewhat better bedside manner) and a step brother who is quite severely autistic, albeit functional, I could actually agree with that, though it seems an angle the show wouldn't be taking.

Only watched the first episode so far, and don't have much to add except I agree with most of these comments :P

While AMC already did at least one abortion controversy from a child of rape story (with Julia--where they even had Tom picket against her--though in a peaceful manner) I think that would be a much more interesting issue to deal with, especially since the network soaps have been terrified of telling abortion stories for at least a decade now. As long as it's not too drawn out. I don't think we'd gain anything by having an essentially new--and traumatized character like Cass stuck being pregnant and having a baby from this ordeal for a year+ and similarly, while I suppose it could be a social storyline, Cass is IMHO the wrong character to tell a story about having a heroin-baby and dealing with those issues.

• Members

I'd love it if she chose to get a medical abortion. Give her the methotrexate/misopristol combo and use the whole story for education. No picketing. No debates. No need to build an clinic set (although technically she wouldn't have to go to one since she's already in the hospital.) Maybe Griffin can finally come out of the on call room and do some doctoring. Better yet, let Cara be the one to do it. After the crap David gave her for her "abortion" it would be fitting.

Given what's going on in the states, I can practically see Agnes salivating over the chance to do an abortion story.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to mention JR. I really am enjoying this characterization--but I LOLed when he took Ricky or whoever the bad kid actor is' ENTIRE backpack. Not just the drugs. I mean it looked like he actually did have school stuff there (and when he hid it from Cara, and then AJ and Miranda went to the living room where it obviously was I thought for sure they would find it.)

And why was he wearing such a ill fitting blue zipper polo? I mean it was baggy the way someone with a large gut might have... I assume it was just to show he was still sorta in recovery/work out clothes or *something*.

Absolutely agreed (though sooner or later it does seem we'll see the Miranda Center--my bets are it'll be a while yet, though.) And yes, that was my thought exactly--much like the early 70s, abortion is a VERY hot issue right now (I guess it was around the time of the Julia story which is why they did show Tom's peaceful objection as I remember there were a few clinic bombings around the time.)

• Members

Angie's reaction to Cass reminded me of a story on Private Practice. (For those who don't watch, fertility doctor Naomi Bennett was always staunchly anti-abortion until the day her 15 year old daughter Maya confessed to being pregnant. At that point, Naomi grabbed Maya by the arm, physically dragged her to Addison's office and demanded that Maya get an abortion.)

Given all the other stuff going on with Angie/Jesse, I could see Angie struggling with the fact that she wants Cass to have an abortion. Half the drama in Cass' story has come from the effect its had on J&A individually. I don't think that's going to change.

• Members

So yeah, "Wednesday's" show was very good. As I said on the status feed, the nightmare sequence with Cassandra, with the FX and production values was just very, very well-done. Both that and the Celia sequence a while back were a cut above anything else on "old" daytime. Really excellent.

I was so glad they did show us the David interview - though I felt it could've gone on longer and been more in-depth, I was satisfied. I did feel they'd cut something from the subsequent scene with J.R. and Cara, where she rebuffs a romantic advance that didn't quite happen as far as I saw. I like that whole continuing dynamic, though; they're great together. But the David and Cara scene at Jane's killed me - wonderful stuff for a wonderful couple. They just better not go back there before giving me David and Angie.

I was glad they packed so many people into the show; that's what I appreciate about both the new AMC and OLTL, how they'll use people even in small ways each day. Seeing Dimitri and even Celia on the outskirts was refreshing, and I thought a smaller dose of Celia - plus her being bitchy about Colby and Pete - worked. I think Jordan Lane Price had a lot more spark just having that bite to her, and I hope they capitalize on it and on developing her into more than just a sweet naif. Dr. Joe's drive-by was another thing that was a nice surprise.

Dixie and Anders, well, we'll see. I just want Dixie to keep having story. I liked her walking in on J.R. and Cara and giving them a bit of frost - I couldn't help but think she was recalling Tad and Cara.

I am pleased to say Zach and Lea are getting better and better with every episode. Really, really cute today, and smart. And I loved his big line, what he never wanted to say to a woman: "Get dressed."

Ending the episode on Angie and Cassandra just drives home that the Hubbards are now at the very least, even more of a central core family than before. Yes, the Chandlers, Montgomerys and Cortlandts are all around and active and so very important, but Adam and Bianca are still recurring presences, Erica and Kendall are in the mists - Angie, Jesse and Angie's daughter are all right here, right now. And I think it means a lot for an American soap opera to begin and end an episode on a central black mother and daughter. Yes, AMC has leaned on Angie and Jesse in the past, but they're doing it in an even bigger way now. And that's great.

A minor note on the "More AMC" of the week - there was a segment re: the profanity where the EPs said "s**t" and "a-hole" were among the words now out. I don't think they should be, and I know "ass" can be used on daytime. I hope this interview was shot well before this week's shows were transmitted, as A.J. did happily spew his filth once again, and he needs to continue to do so. Don't give away the whole store!

• Members

I agree with both of you. I think Cassandra having a medical abortion and how it impacts the rest of her family is the next phase of the story. I suspect Angie will be torn about it due to her strong religious beliefs versus her medical training and with Jesse not being around so much, I wouldn't be surprised if David helps her cope.

Archived