AMC: Week Of July 1, 2013 Discussion

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kinda liked having the weekly previews so I am sad they cut them.

Dr. Anders can GTFO, what a tool. And, as a feminist, his comment about Dixie being the prettiest psycyatrist he'd ever met irked me. He undermines her at work, doesn't trust her at all and has made public comments disparaging her credentials but that should be okay because at least the jerk thinks she is pretty?....

At the risk of angering Black Agnes I would really like to see Angie do something other than cry to jesus.

Do they no longer teach logical reasoning in school, because it seems Hunter could stand to take a few lessons.. His obsession with Miranda being a lesbian makes no sense at all, unless it is one of those things where someone calls someone else gay to distract from the fact that they themselves are gay.

Loved, loved, loved BCT being the one to save AJ

And based on the More episode I guess Bianca finally ended her DC speech. She will likely spend the next two weeks stepping off the stage.

• Members

I think OLTL is pretty solid and generally good, often very good. But it has had fits and starts largely relating to the Todds' availability, specifically TSJ and that storyline. And I think AMC has been more consistently strong every week for a while.

• Members

Dixie is right about Cassandra's pregnancy is Cassandra's decision and not Angie and Jesse. Cassandra is how old now? She is somewhere in her middle 20's, 25-26 years old by now so she is a grown adult and I hope the writers will finally start maturing her. Whether to abort, keep the baby or give up the baby for adoption, should be Cassandra's decision and ONLY Cassandra's and nobody else. Now her family will play a part. Cass and Frankie are so close. It is time for him to come home.

• Members

I honestly didn't mind JL as Liza - I just thought of her as a separate character who happened to also be named Liza. But really, if AMC needs a lawyer on canvas, I'd much rather have Livia Frye-Cudahy back. You know, someone who was actually a GOOD lawyer. If Tom wanted to make a few appearances too, I wouldn't object to that either.

• Members

I don't see Tonya Pinkins returning. Not given her recent issues. I love her but she's a hot mess.

I always laugh when people accuse one soap lawyer of being better than another. Soap law is about plot not quality of representation.

• Members

Yeah, it's a real shame about Tonya. I love her, but uh, no.

It's true that any character and their profession is inherently plot-driven, but there are only two soap lawyers I ever really admired for their ability: Alexis Davis on GH in the 90s, back when she had a mind, and Téa on OLTL. Whether you love her or hate her - and the [!@#$%^&*] she did in a courtroom I often found morally repugnant, like defend Victor on that rape charge - Téa would do absolutely anything to win. She's the only one left that I know of where you always know she means business and has no limit.

As for AMC, Walt Willey did used to give great courtroom speeches as Jack. I do miss that. But that was back in the '90s too.

• Members

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/theater/theater-the-trials-of-tonya-pinkins.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

''I'd just won the Tony for 'Jelly's Last Jam.' I had two beautiful children and was married to someone I loved'' -- Ron Brawer, a soap opera music director, whom she thanked in her Tony acceptance for taking care of their sons so that she could work. At the height of her happiness -- with no clue, she said, of what was about to happen -- she walked out of the Virginia Theater's stage door after a Saturday matinee, accepted what she thought was a request for an autograph and found, as she started to sign her name, that she had just been served with divorce papers. (Among other things, the suit cited Ms. Pinkins's Tony speech as evidence of her secondary parental status.) Thus began a seemingly endless legal battle in which she lost custody of her two young boys (despite being declared a fit parent), was ordered to pay $25,000 a year in child support, had her wages garnished for failure to do so, was barred from and eventually lost her equity in the couple's Manhattan loft and New Jersey mansion and ended up -- even as recently as two years ago, when she was already workshopping ''Caroline'' -- on public assistance, all but homeless and dependent on her friends. Meanwhile, she had had two more children, whose fathers left her, and them, without a penny. The legal case was so tortured and its outcome so unusual -- since when does a legally fit mother lose custody of her children? -- that it became the subject of news reports, feminist crusades and law journal articles. In Ms. Pinkins's retelling, it sometimes seemed too dramatic to be true. She willingly discussed her anger at the judge, who wrote of her ''palpably obvious anger throughout the proceeding,'' but omitted, for instance, her handmade poster campaign against him. More than that, there was a question of extremes. How can you be a Broadway star one day and a deadbeat mom (as The New York Post branded her when she fell behind on her child support) the next? ''I don't think her story is so rare,'' said George C. Wolfe, the director of ''Caroline'' and a longtime colleague of Ms. Pinkins. ''Artists have rough lives! That's how they get an audience to experience joy. When success comes, it's very wonderful: you get paid for commercial success. The rest of the time -- you don't.''

• Members

Irrespective of a messy personal life, I think Tonya Pinkins is a hell of a talent. If people could keep hiring Robert Downey Jr. even during the worst time of his personal life, I don't see why anyone should shy away from her. I've been in the theater business since graduating college in the late '90s and I've only ever heard of her being a professional.

I think now, in fact, she's getting more theater work than ever. Not necessarily big splashy B'way musicals, mind you, but pretty well acclaimed material.

I am not a long time viewer of AMC, though, so I can't rate her performance on the show.

For the record, my favorite soap lawyer was Jessica Griffin but that's a different soap.

Anywho,

Liza (or any lawyer) could have a purpose if Jesse is exposed for his part in concealing Uri's escape from justice. Lea seems relentlessly by the book and if she were to discover how Jesse violated the law--well, I could see her reporting the matter (albeit reluctantly) to Internal Affairs or some such dept. Then Jesse would really need legal counsel. And I think it would be a good twist for Liza to represent him.

• Members

IMO, people shouldn't have kept hiring Downey but that's a separate discussion.

I love Tonya and Livia and if they want to bring her back on, great. Hell they managed to raise Michael Nader from the ashes so anything's possible but I'm not seeing it.

• Members

I think Cassandra's story will tie into Miranda learning about her conception, and then lead to the controversy of abortion when the pregnancy has resulted from rape since that is a ripped from political headlines story.

I thought Brooke and David could have traded far more barbs about their past. Brooke spitting back that she did confront the man who killed her daughter, but didn't shoot him. David throwing back that she did take down Jim T. with four bullets to the back. David saved her fiance's life as well as his brother, and Brooke's adopted daughter Laura. It shouldn't have gone deeper.

Archived