AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Far be it from me to defend Ron Carlivati at this point, but I'm not sure they're complaining about the shows so much as they are being bitchy about Oprah and missing the forest for the trees.

Of course, coming from Ron who has not deigned to comment on anything OLTL since all things OLTL slipped from his creative control, this being how he breaks his silence is just lousy. And that's not even getting into how they tried to turn the relish wars into them vs. PP. "You can have the name, but it won't be the real Pickle Lila!" It's just sad.

• Members

I never do that sort of thing - or at least, I haven't since Bianca was raped ten years ago - but I did in this specific case and it wasn't a crazy email. I pretty much said the realistic language and sexuality was the gateway drug to acclimating the traditional older audience to more progressive storytelling for minorities, GLBT characters, etc.

Mr. Giddens on occasion has a good idea - having Tika Sumpter be part of a launch special for the shows on OWN. I also wouldn't mind seeing Debbi and Darnell, Erika Slezak, etc.

• Members

For me, this is the biggest takeaway from his comments. He has ignored these shows and hasn't said one thing about the reboot, and this is how he starts?

Still, he's irrelevant to this. Oprah made a mistake, but everybody makes mistakes. She now see's how well soaps are working on her network and has doubled The Have or Have Not's order and if this does well, this could be a destination for soaps now. How is it any different from sticking with ABC, even though they canceled two soaps? Or CBS which canceled several soaps? What is important is what is happening NOW. Everything goes out of style and comes back. I just hope the timeslot is good and that these shows do well. I do think they should've aired the two shows back-to-back thoughl.

• Members

Anyone who sees this as anything other than a good thing is retarded. This is great news for both soaps, and I am sure they will be able to bring in the viewers to OWN and thus guarantee their futures. Hell, the production values already are a million times better than The Haves and the Have Nots and the acting is on a par if not slightly better. I just hope they promote the hell out of these shows and get a real buzz around them, and also put them in a decent time slot.

I actually think it would be a really good idea for them to put them on twice a day, in the morning and again late at night (with more swear words etc) to open the shows up to a whole new audience.

Archived