New episodes of AMC & OLTL to be posted on Mondays

• Members

Oh, it's easy to predict this stuff at this point. About thirty people are going to be outraged and castigating PP for "irresponsible moves" for about 12 hours on Twitter and then life goes on. It's a nice sociological experiment but it doesn't actually mean anything each time. I just have much bigger priorities at the moment personally and professionally, like making it to the end of July with my sanity intact.

People talk about how they hate the old hidebound institutions of the networks, but it seems as though anything less than the same schedules and rotations we're used to is generally looked upon as disaster. That's not my endorsing a reactive move or the constant scheduling changes, because I think they need to find one and stick to it for at least six months of growth. I think not doing this to begin with was a mistake. But in the end, whether or not PP is more reactive or scatterbrained than another such company, it is still a start-up, and many start-ups are often prone to making rapid changes like this early on. So in the end for me it's a question of whether I'm able to handle that kind of fluid situation for awhile or just want ABC to hold me in its arms and make me feel better.

I have an even more hectic life now than I did when these shows went off the air, so for me the changes work. I don't particularly care about the perception or whether it's not what we're used to or what X heard from Y. I just care whether it's any good.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. While I see why they would choose this method for their next arrangement (Mondays have to be their high view day no matter what the airing schedule), I can see it having similar results. "The audience thought it was too much on one day, so we're cutting..."

It is better than nothing but the constantly changing schedule might become too much for some viewers.

• Members

Yes it would be nice if it was stable for a time. Not everyone keeps up with these kinds of things, so I can see people being lost on July 1 when they see everything for the whole week is available on that day.

• Members

I think they have network that is going to rebroadcast the shows. But they are not revealing it yet. Just think about it the first schedule change then no curse words and now another schedule change.....

Just merge them both into two separate hourly shows twice weekly. Makes more common sense and cheaper

• Members

PP did say they were anytime so now they mean it

I actually like this better. The full week rolls out every Monday but you can watch them as you chose. Its a good idea. Dont see the big deal here.

Its not a big deal for fans who are unaware of the change and still think AMC MW OLTL T TH Hulu will show as new episodes remaining til those episodes are watched

Maybe PP is following Netflix and its releasing of House of Cards & Arrested Development all at once?

• Members

Makes me wonder why PP didn't think to do this on week 4 instead of the M/W T/Th combo. Netflix does it with their shows, so makes sense PP would do this now.

I did e-mail Jeff K. advising him that they need to be careful about jerking viewers around too much... doubt it will do any good.. but at least it lets them know what I think.

• Members

I wonder the same thing but I also wonder whether PP didn't want to rattle the traditionally minded Daytime drama audience with doing this outright? I feel like it would've been easier to do this in the beginning but perhaps they felt like they had to hew as closely as possible to the broadcast model and then discovered that it wouldn't work very well for online viewing.

We have all figured out by now that some of the Daytime crowd can be pretty averse to change, and there were lots of detractors who were still mad that these shows weren't returning to TV. With that in mind, is it possible that PP wanted to replicate as much of the traditional broadcast experience as possible before finding it unfeasible and needing to make changes?

In any case, it's a good thing because it's more in keeping with what other online programs do and there must be a reason why many of them seem to do it now (it probably works). I call it the House of Cards effect. tongue.png

Archived