Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soap Rankings

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,478 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Once again...lets rank them

1. Days-shocking but the best soap on air right now

2.OLTL- yes its gone from TV but not on mine...and I find it better than most soaps on air

3.B&B- some good some bad...lol

4.AMC-too much Angie and Co. for my tastes, New JR sucks...too many newbies

5.Y&R- saw some lately and the same [!@#$%^&*] just JFP in charge

6.GH-the worst piece of trash on air right now...how disappointing

#2 JtSmarts

JtSmarts

Recurring

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

1. OLTL (By far the best soap imo, I love the cast and I'm enjoying the direction of all the stories)

2. Y&R (The show I look forward to the most out of the remaining network shows. I find it entertaining and way less offensive than the other 3)

3. AMC (I haven't really been an AMC fan since 06 but I'm enjoying this version)

4. GH/DOOL (Dool and GH are almost interchangeable for me. Dool is definitely written more tightly at the moment but I still hate the direction of 2/3 of the show. GH has really devolved since April but overall I still find it more watchable than Dool)

6. B&B (With the exits of Steffy and Taylor I won't be watching B&B at all soon)

Edited by JtSmarts, 19 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#3 Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

CHARITY - The last BITCH left standing!

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

1. Shortland Street

2. Hollyoaks

All others can't compare.

#4 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm not watching any regularly, and to be honest, none of them are enticing me to get in a regular viewing habit anyway. 

#5 greens_dupres

greens_dupres

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

For me right now:

OLTL-  Tuesday and Thursday are my favorite days of the week. 

DOOL- its just really fun and totally watchable- 2013 DOOL is a miracle of sorts even if its not super high quality soap

AMC- Its steadily held my interest but with the reintroductions of Colby & Dimitri, its inching up there with OLTL

B&B/Y&R- no emotional connection with either of these shows but if I put them on its usually a mix of things I really like & don't like

GH- I loved GH, camp and all, all fall and winter. After the Nurses Ball/Stavros, the show plummeted in a huge, horrifying way. It makes me so sad because I was finding it fun and soapy for the first time in ages. 

#6 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 24,478 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

For me right now:

OLTL-  Tuesday and Thursday are my favorite days of the week. 

DOOL- its just really fun and totally watchable- 2013 DOOL is a miracle of sorts even if its not super high quality soap

AMC- Its steadily held my interest but with the reintroductions of Colby & Dimitri, its inching up there with OLTL

B&B/Y&R- no emotional connection with either of these shows but if I put them on its usually a mix of things I really like & don't like

GH- I loved GH, camp and all, all fall and winter. After the Nurses Ball/Stavros, the show plummeted in a huge, horrifying way. It makes me so sad because I was finding it fun and soapy for the first time in ages. 

I agree with you 100 percent on this one...the show went downhill after the Nurses Ball.

#7 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Only soap I'm regular watching right now is Y&R though I do catch B&B most days when I'm too lazy to change the channel.

I don't watch the online soaps. I don't like watching things on Hulu because I can't fastforward over the crappy bits.

I had to give up GH and really I don't miss it. That show is beyond unwatchable.

And DAYS still isn't appealing enough to me to watch full time again.

Edited by frequentsoapfan, 19 June 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#8 allmc2008

allmc2008

Sexy and I know it!

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

It is hard to believe we have 6 soaps again

1. AMC- This will always be my soap and I have the most emotional attachment to it.

2. OLTL- I always had mixed emotions about this. I thought it was too campy during the last 5 years on ABC but at times I found it more compelling than AMC. I always wanted to get into it more but now that it is online and 30-minutes I can finally get into it.

I am only a casual viewer of the following:

3. DOOL- though I no nothing about it I hear good things plus LB is on the writing staff and I always loved her work.

4.Y&R- Anything can be better than MAB

5.  GH- I am 50/50. For a while I thought it was almost comparable to the Riche/Labine Era but now I find it revolting. I think there issue is execution but at the same time I don't get "Second-Hand Soap Viewing" Anxiety Attacks when I watch AMC/OLTL. I am not sure but I do find this Sabrina propping morbidly disturbing.

This is what I think of when I think of Sabrina:

#9 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,678 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm not watching any regularly, and to be honest, none of them are enticing me to get in a regular viewing habit anyway. 

#10 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,682 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I agree with you 100 percent on this one...the show went downhill after the Nurses Ball.

I thought the NB was a huge joke, and didn't serve the purpose intended.  I'm still scratching my head on Jax's return.  Still have not been able to put together a coherent thought on that one. 

The show has always been garbage under Crappy with a few rays of light here and there. 

#11 Darn

Darn

wRecKed

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I thought the NB was a huge joke, and didn't serve the purpose intended.  I'm still scratching my head on Jax's return.  Still have not been able to put together a coherent thought on that one. 

He came back to say he and Brenda were engaged for a day! Isn't that ENOUGH?

#12 greens_dupres

greens_dupres

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

It had none of the emotional resonance of early Nurses Balls but I did enjoy it and the stuff leading up to it UP UNTIL the last ep with Patrick/Britt/Sabrina & that horrid ballad- then I was screaming at my tv. The Jax return was odd- it seemed like they just wanted to shout out to their best triangle during anniversary week which I sort of get but yeah it did none of the characters any favors. 

I know some haven't enjoyed any part of Cartini GH but from around right after the time change last fall to the Nurses Ball, I was watching every day and enjoying it. No it wasn't my beloved 90s GH but for me it was light years better than what we've got now. It felt like a sharp fast quality decline but just my opinion of course. 

Edited by greens_dupres, 19 June 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#13 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,682 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

He came back to say he and Brenda were engaged for a day! Isn't that ENOUGH?

lol...too funny. 

It had none of the emotional resonance of early Nurses Balls but I did enjoy it and the stuff leading up to it UP UNTIL the last ep with Patrick/Britt/Sabrina & that horrid ballad- then I was screaming at my tv. The Jax return was odd- it seemed like they just wanted to shout out to their best triangle during anniversary week which I sort of get but yeah it did none of the characters any favors. 

I know some haven't enjoyed any part of Cartini GH but from around right after the time change last fall to the Nurses Ball, I was watching every day and enjoying it. No it wasn't my beloved 90s GH but for me it was light years better than what we've got now. It felt like a sharp fast quality decline but just my opinion of course. 

I liked NOTHING up until the fall, and that was only because of the pathogen story and Tarly (Tarly was mostly RH and LW), then AJ's return was wonderful FOR A WEEK!  After that, a few scenes here and there, and it's not like I have not tried. 

If I had to pick a soap, it would have to be GH, and that's only because it's the only one I watch.  I want to give it up, but if I do, I have no soaps, and I've been a soap viewer for 33 years.  I don't know how to not watch a daytime soap.  I've seen all from the current era at some point, and AW will always rank at the top of my list.  I'd give anything to see the reruns from about 87 to cancellation. 

#14 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,927 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Days: A-

AMC: B+
OLTL: B
B&B: C
GH: D

#15 greens_dupres

greens_dupres

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

If I had to pick a soap, it would have to be GH, and that's only because it's the only one I watch.  I want to give it up, but if I do, I have no soaps, and I've been a soap viewer for 33 years.  I don't know how to not watch a daytime soap.  I've seen all from the current era at some point, and AW will always rank at the top of my list.  I'd give anything to see the reruns from about 87 to cancellation. 

I hear you- I prefer having a bad soap to no soap too and maybe it will get better again. I put it on every few days now in the hopes of that and I do like a lot of the cast but the OLTL 3 madness has really taken me out of the show. If AMC & OLTL, which were my childhood soaps, hadn't come back (in good shape IMO) literally right when GH started plummeting for me, I would probably be hanging on much harder and trying to find bright spots. 

#16 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,726 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

1, Days. The show is working like it hasn't in many, many years. The entire canvas is being used for once. Will and Sonny, Ej and Sami, Brady and Kristen have been wonderful. Scenes like adrinne vs marlena and Brady and Nicole being friends with benefits add so much. The best is everything leads or ties into something. For example the video chad took of Sami running around like crazy is now prime evidence in her murder trail. It's great.

2. b&B. for one reason, Heather Tom is killing it and I can't wait for Katie to find out the truth.

3. GH. I am really liking Kiki and Michaels story. Carly getting Olivia shot has been interesting. Franco and Ava are not great but I'm untested. Nik/Liz/AJ is wonderful. I am really looking forward to Maxie giving birth. Then there is Connie and anything with the terrible teens.

4. YR. I don't think it's bad it's just a bore. But I am loving the Chelsea storyline.

#17 soapsnstuds

soapsnstuds

Recurring

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

1.  GENERAL HOSPITAL                A

2.  ONE LIFE TO LIVE                     B

3.  ALL MY CHILDREN                     B-

4.  YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS    C-

Watched Days of Our Lives when I was a little boy (1970's) and had no choice (grandma's show) but got out of that unhealthy habit circa 1987 at 16 when I realized how terrible it was and always would be.

#18 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,643 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

AMC (no surprise--but this week sealed it for me.)

OLTL which is very closely under it.

DAYS.  It's never been really my style of soap--and that hasn't changed.  Just the style of camp (I guess I prefer Nixon camp--even before JER, DAYS has had that Bell style of camp that is dark instead of light and so seems more serious--like today with Kristen flirting in that ridiculous accent and wig), the music (!), and a few other elements.  But I've found it very compelling the last few months, and I enjoy watching it--for the first time in a long time, it feels like I understand the characters and care about them. 

It's hard for me to rank the rest.  I still watch GH daily, but I have no idea why.  Y&R actually seems to improve to me, but I only catch it a couple of times a week.  And B&B is always good for a laugh--and in that case is very well done, but everything is so redundant, and the people behave like they live in some alien galaxy.

#19 OLTL_fan

OLTL_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

OLTL: B+

#20 Nate4

Nate4

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

DAYS: A-

Y&R: B

B&B: C

I'm watching AMC/OLTL, but I'm wayyy behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users