The Taylor Swift Thread

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm all for dating around. Hell, I'm all for sleeping around. I'm not all for sleeping around and then writing countless songs about your many escapades and then pretending to be an innocent ingenue when people point out that you've dated or slept with everyone in Hollywood.

Oh, and she still has minimal (if any) talent.

• Members

Not to defend Taylor or anything, but Joni Mitchell did the same thing back in her day. You know, date/sleep around and then write songs about it? In fact, Rolling Stone magazine published a sort of flow chart chronicling her sexcapades that caused a fallout between her and them for many years.

• Members

Trying to shame a woman for woman doesn't go with you being all for it though. Not at all.

She's a songwriter and a singer. Should she make up songs about unicorns and write about Wall Street? No. She writes her emotions, and shocker - in her early twenties most of her emotions come from dating and relationships. Good, bad, sexual or platonic.

You talk about her like she's this evil, malicious villain. Maybe she's not pretending to be an innocent ingenue? Maybe what the media makes her out to be doesn't change who she is?

Go after her for whatever lack of talent you see. That's fine. Butdont claim to be all for sleeping around then try to south shame a girl for doing it and talking about it.

Exactly. This is nothing new. Men and women have been doing it forever and will forever.

Some artists just have a way of connecting with a huge, wide range of people by singing and writing about very relatable issues and relationships. Swift is one of them.

• Members

Like I said, I have no problem with dating around, or sleeping around, for that matter. Hell, I don't even have an issue with writing songs about it. What I do have an issue with, like Cheap said, is her Miss Innocent schtick. Whore may have been the wrong word, but people like her really bug me. If you want to date around and sleep around and write a song about it, then do it. If you want to be an innocent ingenue figure, do it. But you have to actually REPRESENT this act you want to portray. And, in my opinion,writing a song about every man you've dated/slept with, slamming them and never assuming maybe you could be the problem, and then acting like she's the Virgin Mary when people point out that she's dated most of Hollywood's younger set, is very annoying.

• Administrator
The record I want is Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again" record for highest one week sales for a female artist. "Red" got 1.2 million but "Oops" got 1.3 million. Hoping "1989" gets 1.4 million.

Taylor's a Joni Mitchell fan. She even cut her hair like Joni (the bangs). Joni's fourth album was called "Blue" and Taylor's fourth album was called "Red".

I like that you get her. smile.png Are you just a casual fan or do you follow her closely? I obviously fall in the latter. LOL

• Members

I don't think Taylor is eying to represent herself as this weeping willow innocent victim. But like - John Mayer and joe Jonas did her wrong. That's not her playing a victim role. It's her being honest. We don't know a lot about her relationship with Jake but she wrote all too well about him and she's not a victim nor is he seen as a bad guy. It's just a failed relationship. Furthermore she made herself the bad guy in her songs about Taylor L from twilight. The media play her as a wronged victim but she can't control that, because that isn't represented in lol her songs.

Toups, I am a bit more than a. Casual fan but I'm not a die hard. I know about her personal life, I like her singles, and a few swift super fans have turned me onto the Joni Mitchell song and all too well. I really respect her as an artist and a person and her ability to genre hop is truly rare as is her ability to speak so honestly through her music. Plus I love a girl who doesn't play by the industry or society rules.

• Members

Not going to happen without her Country fanbase which she has consistently been isolating with each of her successive album releases. She pretty much told them to completely eff off in a press statement about the album earlier this month. This album is a pure pop album and there will be nothing there for country fans. Way to completely give the middle finger to the fanbase that made her a household name. She's killing her crossover appeal, and her sales will tumble because of it. Shame as she could have been the next Shania Twain in courting both markets.

Edited by Skin

• Administrator
I'm impressed by how knowledgable you are about her. We disagree on a lot of things, so I hope Taylor will be that one thing we'll have in common. LOL

I love her fashion too.

I think most Taylor fans are fans of her and her music and not the actual genre of song/album. All her albums are successul because fans are able to connect with her songs no matter the genre. Some songs are more country-er, some are more pop, some are more pop/rock.....it doesn't really matter. I think once she's done with "pure pop," whether it be this album or the next, I'm sure she'll change a bit for future albums. Maybe she'll go in the pop rock direction - a sound like U2/Coldplay. She sings, writes, produces, plays intruments, and is the leading force of her career - she's not a puppet. She can do whatever she wants.

'1989' might not break Britney's one week record, but I still think it will sell 5 million worldwide like every other album.

Back to the connection thing, I don't think there's any other artist out there who connects more with her fans. We're not only fans of her music but we're fans of her, who she is as a person. She's shown time and time again that she cares about us, so in return we care about her and support her.

• Administrator
It's more like "You don't like me? I don't care. I'm just going to have fun." That's the whole point of the song: "People will find anything about you and twist it to where it's weird or wrong or annoying or strange or bad. You have to not only live your life in spite of people who don't understand you, you have to have more fun than they do."