The Taylor Swift Thread

• Members

Thanks, love. :)

Without getting TOO off topic, that's one thing I admire about Miley Cyrus. I'm not crazy about everything she does, but I love that she started her own organization dedicated to homeless youth, specifically those in the LGBTQ community. In fact, she's been very vocal about gay rights since she was a teenager--she even left Twitter for a year because she got death threats from tweeting her support for gay rights/marriage so often.

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Demi has some valid points, but the timing really wasn't the best. In one sense this is about combating sexual assault, but the bulk of it is about Kesha likely needing money for lengthy and so far unsuccessful legal battles. In this particular instance, if Demi is concerned about Kesha, she would have been better off not splashing some of that about Taylor Swift all over social media. She also, unwittingly, ended up making it all about herself and distracting from her cause.

• Administrator

What "mean girl clique"?  What have they done? 

First, things are taken out of context all the time in articles.  When she gives that Madeleine Albright quote, she doesn't say Tina and Amy, nor does she allude to them.  Secondly, this was years before Taylor's feminist stance. 

The "attack" was provoked, so she was merely responding.  She's allowed to defend herself.  And the song, as shown in the video, is about doing something after your friend betrays you. It's not like all of a sudden, she lashed out at something without cause. Granted, it was something small like stealing dancers, but Taylor used that anger to write a song.  She didn't go to Twitter to rant, instead she wrote a #1 song and created an award winning video. 

Again, how?

That was a misunderstanding where she thought someone was coming at her, so she was just defending herself.  She was wrong and she apologized publicly and privately. 

That doesn't mean you have to speak up for every single female issue.   I'm so sick of feminist police who tell other people what they should be doing. 

• Administrator

And there's nothing wrong with that.  She doesn't have to be political.  There's a lot of people who think celebrities don't need to insert themselves into politics.

She has acknowledge that she is a powerful woman.  She wrote two very well received letters: one in the Wall Street Journal, and the other is the letter to Apple.  She also made a career move to pop when her team wanted her to still have a foot in country.   Building your own successful career, steering your own ship, making decisions that make you happy - why can't this be a great example of feminism? 

And maybe she will.  Why does she have to pick one now?  Is there a timetable, a how-to book on how to be a feminist?  Taylor is a very savvy person who is doing great things, and will continue to do great things in the future. 

No.  The "I send text messages now" was about dealing with misunderstandings.  And so far, she has learned from her mistake, as proven by these last two weeks with Kanye and Demi.  

• Administrator

I do know what Demi/Selena/Taylor used to be close, and they had this on-and-off friendship.  Taylor and Demi both dated Joe Jonas, so that could've been an issue.  There's this infamous clip, from I think 2010, where someone asks Demi, "How's Selena doing?" and Demi replies, "Ask Taylor."  LOL   The last time all three were together (that we know of) is when they posted about their facetime together, I think this was around 2013.   Demi and Taylor were scene shopping together that year.  The last time they were together publicly was when they took pictures together at the 2014 VMAs.  So the last I heard of Demi/Taylor, I thought they were cool.   But you asked about Demi/Selena....I don't fellow Demi or Selena, so I don't really know about their relationship.  I don't remember reading any recent Demi/Selena stories from the mainstream press.

• Administrator

There's always something different, or a little bit different, between albums.  Like with Red, you could see where she was going.  I think album 6 will be something like Red - a mix of the old (1989) and a few songs to see where she is going.  Unless of course she sticks with a "sonically cohesive" (a term she used a lot when mentioning 1989) sound. Whatever she does, I think she'll be smart and not upset the core fanbase by doing something off-the-wall, totally different. 

• Members

I know that this isn't directly about Taylor, but from what I've heard about Demi/Selena, they had a time period where they weren't speaking/Demi very publocly unfollowed Selena on Twitter--maybe Demi was tired of the relationship drama between Selena and Justin?--but apparently over the last year they've become friends again. It seems like Taylor/Selena are much closer to each other now than they are to Demi, though.

How long after Taylor did Demi date Joe? There's a clip from Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve--going from 2008 to 2009--where Taylor and the Jonas Brothers are there, along with Demi, Lionel Richie, and Ryan Seacrest. Taylor and Joe had just broken up shortly before that and it's SO awkward to see them on opposite sides of each other. The video quality isn't great, but here it is:

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Interview with Liz Rose: Liz Rose On Co-Writing Taylor Swift's First Hit 'Tim McGraw' | 10 Years Of Taylor

Love how she came up with the song in the 9th grade math class.

You haven't listened to her old albums?  You're missing out on a lot of great songs.  LOL  :)

I can't believe it's been 10 years already and her career is still going strong. And I still believe her best is yet to come.  That's kind of crazy considering all the success she's already had.   I admit she wasn't on my radar when she first started.  I liked her songs but I wasn't a huge fan or anything.  I didn't become a huge fan until 2013. 

Edited by Toups

• Members

Not a chance. She may have stopped caring whether some aspects of her life appear fake (i.e., this new "relationship" with Tom Hiddleston, which screams publicity stunt--even those who have never questioned the authenticity of her relationships before have called BS on that one), but after this song came out, she's done with Kanye. And I don't see her EVER appearing naked in pubic in any way, ever.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

https://wearyourvoicemag.com/identities/race/taylor-swift-messy-bitch

Admittedly, the fact that the conversation was taped opens up questions as to whether or not what Kanye and Kim did was illegal, but the damage has been done: Taylor not only lied as a way to find an excuse to play victim again (or threw them under the bus once she saw the backlash against the line), it looks like she deliberately race-baited, too. It's disgusting.

Here's the tape in question:

Do I wish someone other than Kanye and Kim had exposed Taylor? Yes, but as the old adage goes, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." 

I like a lot of her music, but she should have just owned the calculating businesswoman side of herself, because unlike any other backlash she's had--even the Nicki Minaj stuff on Twitter last year--this has hurt her credibility more than anything. Combined with her overexposure and her refusal to admit she lied and apologize, it will be VERY hard for her to recover from this. 

And except for a few Tweets at the beginning from members of her Girl Squad (including Selena Gomez, who quickly put her OWN foot in her mouth), the majority of her famous friends have kept mysteriously silent about this.

This is a good article, too:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/when-did-the-media-turn-against-taylor-swift.html

Edited by MissLlanviewPA