Freaky Friday: What would the Nixon soaps be like if Bill Bell wrote for them vice-versa

• Members

Lets pretend for a moment that in the late 80's Bell decided to write for AMC/OLTL and Nixon decided to write for B&B/Y&R with full history of each others work. What would Bell have done to the Nixon shows and vice-versa?

I don't know much about Bell's work so this will be fun for me and for others who are not familiar with either Bell's work or Nixon's work!!

Correction: Does not need to be the 80's!!! I said that because that is when both shows were on fire!!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Martins would have been gone. Bell doesn't do lower class white families well (look how isolated Jill became by the mid-80'). Erica would be less camp and more of a dark figure. Dorian would be written more akin to Katherine Chancellor, with Megan or Gabrielle being Jill.

• Members

well what about how Bell wrote the Hortons on Days (oops that was in 70s not the late 80s), yeah look how he drove out the Brooks and Fosters, that's a shame..

wonder if he would've wrote the Buchanans and other Lords??? I bet Buchanan Enterprises would be written like Newman Enterprises, I doubt he'd have Lord Enterprises (The Banner, Lord/Manning Plant, the other radio/TV stations) like Jabot

• Members

They would've both been terrible writing each others soaps. The two have a completely different point of view and style. This is why the ABC invasion hasn't worked for Y&R the past 10 years. The style is just too different, so each regime, plucked from the ABC mindset (same for the actors), is always going to be wrong. Days (and Passions) has more in common with the Bell soaps due to shared staff and then I could see the PGP soaps blending better with Agnes' ABC soaps. I could see Doug Marland on AMC or OLTL and I could see Agnes on ATWT or GL, but that's about it.

• Members

I corrected my OP with:

Does not need to be the 80's!!! I said that because that is when both shows were on fire!!!!

I now feel regretful because there cold have been so interesting responses. Also, I would like some explanation.

• Members

Assuming Bell didn't create Y&R and took over as HW of AMC after Agnes I would assume he would have kept the show fairly similar to her vision. While giving it more of a psychological slant, a little darker, less humour. I think there would have been more singing and more crazies running around Pine Valley. I think he would have played up the Brooke/Erica feud more and Erica would have become Jill and Mona would be Liz, I say that only because they already fit that mould anyway. Stories would have moved a lot slower. He would have had a writing protege like Pat Falken-Smith or Kay Alden who would have taken over after he retired.

When I see B&B I can see similarities to Y&R but Days didn't look like Y&R at all, which says to me Bell was capable of taking someone else's vision and adding to it, rather than gutting it and making it what he wanted. Established characters didn't suddenly change personality just because Bell took over, and the ones he added don't come across as early versions of the ones he created on Y&R or B&B.

As for Agnes if she hadn't created any shows and simply took over Y&R at some point, I think we would have seen a lighter show, even more family oriented with heavier social issues. I think it would have moved a lot faster too. It is harder for me to comment on Agnes as I haven't watched a lot of her AMC and OLTL.

Archived