JER's DAYS Discussion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember that about Celeste too, and then all of sudden it was Doug, when we all just read that Bill and Susan would only return if they weren't killed, and then Doug 'dies'. It was all so strange at the time, so something was going on. And then I think JER was pissed so he gave gave us Melaswen and then the Castle and then Jack dying sixteen times. He always acted out when things didn't go his way LOL.

• Members

It was a rewrite.

I argued with most of SON about this at the time, with most of the board claiming Jim Reilly's genius would never be touched or altered in any way, but I knew then on good authority it was a rewrite to try and salvage disaster.

• Members

Question about the Curtis Brown murder storyline.

I had just started watching and don't know anything about contract situations or developments or the like. Was there supposed to be a different murderer or was it was it to be Stefano from the start? I know the focus was to be on Billie and later the Kate/Laura/Horton family relationship, but it feels like a copout, making Stefano the killer. I know he had been off the canvas for a few years and was technically reintroduced through an innocent hospital scene, but he obviously wasn't around during the Brown slaying but it was concluded he was the one who did it or hired to have it done.

• Members

I believe Curtis' murder and the trial was just the backdrop to the real story, which was Kate finding out that Austin and Billie were her children.

I've never understood the problem with the Possession storyline. For some reason Bo and Hope can save the world a million times, Salem can have an international airport, multiple serial killers, serial rapists and stranglers, Stefano can come back from the dead every sweeps, 80 year old Alice Horton can go on adventures with her granddaughters to New Orleans and Alamania, but the line that shall not be crossed is demon possession? And when you strip it down, it wasn't even a story about demon possession.

• Members

My major issue with Reilly 2.0 was he had nothing for the audience to watch but the serial killer plotline. When the audience did tune in to see Marlena revealed as the killer, there was nothing to really keep them tuning in. The secondary stories at the time were rather played out (Shawn / Belle) or bizarre (Bonnie Lockhart sets out to seduce Mickey Horton). If there were other stories in place, the show might have been able to ride the high they had from the serial killer plotline.

On the positive side, I do think Reilly had an interest in the Horton family. He utilized Julie in the Mickey / Bonnie story during Round 2. During round one, he brought back Mike, created Lucas, and kept Jennifer front and center.

• Members

I want to say that they were all really fired and characters were supposed to stay dead up until Doug.

Matt Sanford got another job at oltl and it was by pure luck nobody else had booked a gig and willing to return. It was spin that it was always planned.

I don't think it was a loving to the city type deal tho, at all.

• Members

In the original scene of Curtis being killed he turns around, sees someone with a gun, screams NO and a shot is fired from distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOMrdaLlLU&list=PLCB56C58A6F2D3F83&index=13

When Stefano was revealed as the killer he and Curtis fought and a shot was fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhoXmPHOC08&list=PL24B59B008F0BF025&index=139

So you could be right about Stefano being a copout.

• Members

No, but I think it wouldn't have resembled the Days we grew to love over the years. I was glad the whole thing got thrown out. I had been a proud fan all the way back to the 1980s and didn't like what was going on at all.

Looking back, it was nuts to have JER write two shows at once. Henry Slesar did it twice with Edge and Somerset/Search for Tomorrow, but the advantage there was all of those shows were a half hour. You could get away with it.

• Members

I liked JER late stuff. Jan Spears was a great character and the second actress was a lot of fun. The show always had some insane element that brought a smile to my face like Sam/Stan, Shawn literally crashing Belle's wedding, that crazy Iraq story and even the island. Tony had a skeleton propped up in a chair smoking a cigar. How can you go wrong with that?!?

• Members

Watching some of the start of Melaswen and I see Nicole in bad old woman makeup. The more you watch JER the more strange, recycled set pieces you find. That one reminds me of one of those comical flash forwards on a sitcom.

Archived