OLTL: Thursday, May 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Dani and Matthew, especially Dani, but there's too much focus on their empty lives. I'd prefer to either see less of them, or see more of them with people besides each other. Todd and Jeffrey are also on every day, but I'm not tired of them.

• Members

I'm one of their biggest cheerleaders (as actors and as characters separately and as friends- really not totally sold on the romance) but I actually completely agree with you. They need to branch them out especially if they want to play them everyday- Dani especially. I'm mostly drawn in because I find RG extremely charismatic and Matthew has both the Michelle/Dani story element and the deadbeat angle, the latter of which I find more interesting and because I think Kelley plays the hell out of whatever she's given and has been making me laugh with her antics. I actually don't think a third girl needs to be thrown into Matthew's orbit because there's more than enough potential drama with Dani and Des but we'll see how it plays out. I think you're right about a scene of Matthew and Drew alone- that could really help humanize him and I hope they do it soon. I feel like Matthew gets super tense when he feels like Des/Bora/Clint are watching him to see if/how he interacts with Drew but if they played him 1:1 with the baby, he would probably be much softer. Ugh why couldn't we have gotten him babysitting today instead of cyber-chatting with the invisible girl.

I think when they refer to Dani & Destiny being tight, its more that they historically were tight on OLTL 1.0. They're fond of each other and old friends but I don't get the sense at all they are actively involved with one another/hanging out offscreen.

Fair enough- I think OLTL has tried to feature everyone (save for Dorian) pretty frequently if not every episode but I guess Dani/Matthew/Jeffrey, Todd & Viki have probably been the only ones popping up pretty much every single day. I did think it was a lot more even this week in particular (Nat seems way more major than the first 2 weeks now) even though 3s Company were in both eps. Matthew being a large part of Bo/Nora's story feels right to me and I'm sure eventually they'll get more cop stuff and the radio show thing will amp up. I wonder about them drawing in new viewers- I'm in the younger (ish-not 21 sadly) demo they're supposed to appeal to and they do appeal to me but I've been watching my entire life so PP had me no matter what. I wish there was a way to get some more info about the online viewing- I'd be interested to see if OLTL is skewing younger than AMC.

• Members

don't remind me of Pratt, can't believe he blamed Eden Riegel for that mess... don't remind me of 2009 on OLTL.. i kind of liked Kish, but I couldn't relate.. I still wondered if the network didn't nix Malone's plans for CJ and later Joey, how would those stories have been like

• Members

The big problem with the "cannot relate" thing was that both parties of the Kish couple had no connection to characters that mattered to production. As much as it pains me to say, Cristian/Layla were in the periphery too. Kyle Lewis was the town pariah who didn't have his sister anymore and the people whom he shared the best scenes (Jared/Natalie) were in another story. The best thing to ever happen with the Kish story was Stacy and Kim, whose stories were cut short mostly because Farah got pissed that Crystal and Amanda were stealing her spotlight (which is ironic because it really wasn't hard to steal the spotlight from the eternally boring GiGi, but I digress).

• Members

exactly.. Kish wasn't tied to a core family or some character very important.. so that stuff about Crystal and Amanda against Farah was true, can I say thank God she wasn't asked back, though I wish Austin Williams was (or a Shane recast), I still say kill off Gigi/Rex

• Members

If they bring back Austin, they should wait until he hits puberty...and bring him back as a new character (call him, Kiki, or something. I don't care). I don't want the slightest possibility of seeing Rigi on my screen again. It helps that JPL and Farah are no longer together. I'm sorry, but I'm quite passionate about this because that couple predated the Fords in their show-killing prowess. Great characters like, Adriana, Layla, Brody, Cutter, Aubrey, Cristian (during that BS that was the art storyline) Sky, Rachel, Kim, and Stacy were sacrificed at their altar. That's quite the body count.

Basically, I don't want AW back with the Shane baggage.

• Members

Joey was the original gay teen n 1992. ABC balked saying it had to be a new role, enter Billy Douglas

Gary Tomlin wanted Rex Gay/Bi and going after jessica's then BF Seth in 2002. ABC said No

Griffith/Malone originally wrote Paul Cramer as CJ's lover in 2003 and even had him ask about CJ a few times. ABC decided that since they were doing the AMC/OL crossover they needed someone as Bad guy & turned Gay Paul into Babe's ex who gave a baby to his sister

However they had gay roles in 2004 and 2005 but Mark became Daniel's secret lover & Daniel killed people rather than admit he's gay

Marcie's brother was after school special and a bad one at that.

Kish was actually well recieved. The actors really ut their heart in it but OLTL lost ratings cause of the mitch return, potential rape of Jess but ABC sun that the Kish story caused it & they got Dumped.

After ABC canned OL, Cartini wanted to give Kish a better ending but Frons said NO

Im thinking if either AMC or OLTL wrote a gay romance now, it would be given equality to the straight romances and I would love to see one. As long as it fit into story

• Members

yeah.. I still say kill off Gigi/Rex, I used to like Rex.. all the characters you listed had lots of history and potential (but I did despise Cutter, Sky, Kim and Stacy)..

it does suck though we can't bring back Shane without his parents, I still think the Shane/Jack stuff wasn't resolved, I consider them like a Todd/Marty kind of thing.. but the whole artist thing with Shane could involve Paolo Seganti's character

• Members

I just nearly choked to death laughing. You win line of the day with Shane-Kiki.

The fact that Rex was made a Buch puts fear in my heart that they could resurface at anytime. But the breakup does help some. As does the fact that no reference has been made. I actually liked them up to the Adriana wedding because they made Adriana become Bitchy Bangs and win my heart. But following that, they were so much worse for the show than the Fords ever were. While AW was fine, there must be another Buch kid in the OLTL universe who can fill whatever role c91 had in mind for him. Zane?

Really post- cancellation notice? I've never heard that. Wonder what would have been...

Archived