AMC: Monday May 27, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. I know it's part of the canon and I chose to go along with it because it was as good as a scenario as any for bringing Jesse back but let's leave in the past.

I don't see what the added value would be in making these guys the same criminal organization that Jesse was investigating 25 years ago. How does that make the story better?

• Members

I might need to rewatch, but I thought David came up with the concept in prison but needed Joe to secure him the lab space to work on the idea.

ICAM! I still don't know what that story had to do with John Remington, Rob Gardner or anything else.

• Members

That story simply did not make sense. And believe me, I tried at the time.

I think the Cassandra story is difficult to watch but not exploitative or misogynistic. I think it does its job.

• Members

Is Cara Puerto Rican now? She mentioned that her son was in P.R. with her Mother. When AMC was on ABC wasn't she supposed to be Mexican? I thought her being undocumented was the reason Tad married her? Am I imagining things? blink.png

Someone please help clarify because I'm starting to doubt my memory now.

• Members

I caught that too, DramatistDreamer. Yes, on the TV version, she was Mexican, and I think we can just assume they are still Mexican but her mother moved to Puerto Rico.

If she wasn't Mexican, there wouldn't have been the whole immigration story or the marriage to Tad, so I don't think it would work to retcon her as Puerto Rican (being part of the US) and I don't think they mean to retcon.

• Members

You don't have to be Puerto Rican in order to live in Puerto Rico. If this is ever brought up, I don't think its entirely implausible that her mother moved there. Cara could possibly have wanted her child there bc its not somewhere David would think to look. Maybe Cara is biracial and has some relatives in PR as well. Until she is explicitely stated as being PR and not Mexican, I don't think there was necessarily a rewrite here.

• Members

I know they showed her mother on the little webisodes they had to introduce the Castillos--but I couldn't remember the specifics. (Actually her mother later showed up to check out Tad I think...)

I know they showed her mother on the little webisodes they had to introduce the Castillos--but I couldn't remember the specifics. (Actually her mother later showed up to check out Tad I think...)

Wasn't there a jewel he wanted that was in Cassandra's teddy bear or something? Am I completely making this up? LOL anyway...

I agree re Cass.

• Members

Yeah, Cara's mother showed up on the TV show for Tad and Cara's wedding, and cassadine1991 found some clips of that. She was disapproving and stern. I don't remember if she eventually gave her blessing.

Cara's mother in the webisodes had a different name, and when Cara's mother showed up on the TV show I think something was said that contradicted the webisode too. So I think the webisodes shouldn't be considered "canon."

• Members

I'm willing to believe that her mother moved to P.R., although Mexico being a vast country, larger than P.R., it might provide a bigger obstacle to David finding his son, rather than on a relatively smaller island.

Then again her son and Mother being in P.R. might make it easier for Cara to see her son regularly. And if her son was born in P.R., his citizenship status would not be an issue, since P.R. is a Commonwealth of the U.S.

• Members

I think there was also a Mexican drug cartel after Cara, so that's why she would lose her life if she was deported and Tad had to marry her. So it makes sense her mother and son would not be in Mexico.

It was never totally clear to me, but I got the impression on the TV show the whole family had moved to the United States a long time ago, but Cara had just never been able to become a citizen or permanent resident.

Also, I liked the webisodes too, EricMontreal; I think they used Griffin in particular better than the generic hero/doctor/David supporter (until he wasn't) role he had on the show.

• Members

I got the impression their mom had relocated to the US as well--so I'm fine with that explanation.

It was funny at the time, the Griffin webisode I believe had him in his underwear for the entire thing--which I cant' complain about but at the time OLTL was particularly gratuitous with men parading around half naked (more so IMHO than Ron and Frank's GH is at the moment) and AMC seemed oddly prudish about hardly ever having it--I think Griff had about two shirtless scenes on the network version (one being a particularly silly one with him working out in that tiny little coffee alcove people always hung out in the hospital.

Archived