May 13-17, 2013: Good Week For Y&R and B&B

Toups

• Members

What I've never been able to understand is DAYS ratings. The show has been solid for weeks but ratings haven't increased which I think is odd. But I remember in the summer of 2007 when the show had a 1.6 household rating and then in December crawled up to 3.3 million viewers. This show bounces back and forth more than any other soap. But one thing I will say is and this has been true for decades is that DAYS has the most loyal & dedicated audience of any soap. A lot of people I know watch DAYS. Most of the time when you ask someone if they watch soaps they reply "I watch DAYS" lol plus back in 2007 a local Branson reporter came to Silver Dollar City to report about ATWT coming to the park to film and while at the park he said he asked people if they watched soaps and he said most of his replies were "I watch DAYS" he said quote "Days of our Lives is king of the mountain" lol so I never count DAYS out. GH however may be in trouble. NBC has renewed DAYS through September 2014. GH dosent have the luxury of having a contract. ABC owns the show therefore they could take it off the air today & never air it again or give it a finale if they wanted to.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't help but notice that Days has changed for the better over the past few months up to the point where it is no longer a campy daytime joke. It sort of reminds me of old school ATWT in that it really feels community based with all of the characters connected on some level.

I think Days will go up as we get into summer. The EJ takes down Stephano story is classic soap.

• Members

Yes, the Monday of this ratings week was when the three former OLTL stars came back. But ratings naturally fall from Monday to Friday, because people time-shift more as the week wears on as they fall behind. It doesn't mean people were steadily tuning out.

And yes, all four soaps, including GH and DAYS, are still up in the ratings year to year, which is a great sign for the genre.

I agree with all the positives that people write about DAYS ... It is currently the successor to the Procter and Gamble style of soap. DAYS hasn't been soaring in the ratings, but it has stabilized and shows improvement year to year, so I think the high quality is being recognized by the viewers. Hopefully more will tune in and see just how great it is.

GH is also nowhere near as bad as this board makes it out to be. Many vets are back and sticking around, hallelujah; there is a focus on the Quartermaines and ELQ; and the new generation (especially Michael) is cool too!

• Members
the entire focus has been on stupid relish and that story has dragged on for far too long and downright stinks. Great if you like it but its getting panned across the board

The vets are primarily nothing more than window dressing. There is little to no substance behind their presence.

• Members

Yep, I was mostly referring to how she could seem nice but then turn around and be scheming after Rosanna's money. Apparently I'm not just imagining it as Maura West herself apparently says in Soap Opera Digest that Ava has elements of early Carly in modern days.

Ava is more upscale than Carly though.

Archived