OLTL: Thursday, May 23, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH had the rights to John Starr Todd Tea Blair Hope & Cole but not Natalie. Cartini made it sound like it was cause of MA's contract with PP but GH but the lawsuitt showed that as false. Maybe SBH & TR was like forget what GH wrote, re Nat. It never happened

• Members

I feel that if PP had worked a new deal with Ted King. OLTL would have forgotten that GH sent Tomas on a case for the CIA and that he could be Alcazar. However when Ted didnt sign on, maybe OLTL thought well GH gave us an out for Tomas. Let's use it.

• Members

Lol. I was confused in the last many years why Natalie was EVER hung up on John. Why anyone was EVER hung up on John. But I accepted that she was. And that he was the "love of her life". Melissa keeps referring to Natalie losing the love of her life in interviews and they've promoted that relationship as such and continue to do so. So I just accept it.

I loved Natalie's phone conversation with Viki. Those two have such a lovely genuine mother/daughter vibe. I enjoy the humor in the writing so much. It's so much more sophisticated than Ron's vaudeville style (I always expect to hear the ba da dum drum beat after Ron's punch lines).

• Members

Who wrote Wednesday's show? Alex Douglas? There were some funny [!@#$%^&*] lines and larger exchanges. The whole Jack/Todd exchange about Victor has been mentioned, but I also liked Todd talking about Victor's left strangling hand was much more powerful than his right. Also, Cutter and Natalie are still adorable. All their banter was great. "Give the lady anything she wants...five dollar limit."

I loved that they went so far as to give us Viki and Destiny, and longer scenes with B&N and Des and Drew, then Clint and Jeffrey, who is so competent, so capable and so cool. There's just a real sense of building community that works so well for this show. And sorry not sorry, Matthew and Dani are still incredibly hot. That stuff was great, especially the opening.

I absolutely adore the Banner story because no one is entirely right or wrong and everyone has a point. Clint and Jeffrey are right about the paper, but their methods and approach need work. Jeffrey is young and brash and doesn't realize when he oversteps - he clearly deeply admires Viki but needs to get paid, and is increasingly impatient with her dragging her feet - and Viki is too traditional and overprotective, as well as fearful for her position and perhaps just a little bit "Lord of the Banner" in how she regards Jeffrey. The level of industry detail in what they talk about, and the fact that all their interplay is so mature and layered is really fascinating stuff, way ahead of anything on network soaps right now. I just really hope that this story doesn't wink out with the existing HWs gone. Hopefully not, since they're promoting from within.

I thought Andrew Trischitta was fine. He keeps improving - the Manning stuff was good and I just love that set. I just hope they start getting to the meat of that stuff in the next several weeks. Also, Jesus, Bruce (Ryan Cooper) is hot.

• Members

Would be excited if Jack really is vegan and not just refusing Todd's food! That would be the kind of representation of real stuff and real people that has been missing from soaps.

I don't understand, when did Bruce become Australian? Or was that just him putting on an accent like I sometimes do? If the latter, it needed to be explained better.

They randomly aged Drew in between last week and this week.

Natalie forgetting at first that she just rescheduled her date with Cutter 20 minutes ago was weird and seems like an example of the bad continuity that plagues the show, particularly on days written by Alex Douglas.

Yay for Destiny really working at the Banner and apparently not having the story from the audition script. She needs to find time to sleep though!

• Members

I don't think it was bad continuity at all. She forgot and remembered like any of us would anything in the course of a normal, slightly goofy conversation. There's times I forget where things are while I'm holding them in my hands.

Bruce was always Australian.

• Members

How do you explain Natalie acting like she and Cutter hadn't already set a date for Sunday and acting like Viki had to convince her to set a new date then? When one has to go to great lengths to explain what is really happening in a scene, and given the history of how this show has been shooting out of order with numerous continuity issues -- if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Thanks for explaining about Bruce. I guess the accent was not as noticeable to me before.

• Members

Or, just maybe, someone wasn't clearly paying attention to the dialogue in which Natalie thinks to herself that she's free on Sunday, then realizes that oops, no, I'm not, we rescheduled - a scene which was all in one, not pieced together, and a deliberate parallel to the scene in which Cutter said almost the exact same thing to her before realizing he was busy with work on Thursday earlier in the exact same episode - then maybe, just maybe, you're not quite as all-knowing as you think you are.

• Members

You're the one who seems to have forgotten Cutter and Natalie already rescheduled for Sunday. Viki doesn't have to tell Natalie to reschedule because Natalie and Cutter already rescheduled!

I already know that Natalie "remembers" in the scene that she's not busy on Thursday after all. That's why I wrote "forgetting at first." But that doesn't explain why Natalie says the date was "cancelled" and why Viki says it has to be "rescheduled" -- it is already rescheduled.

• Members

You're not paying attention. Viki only reinforces what was already discussed by Natalie and Cutter. Natalie mentions it to her in order to reinforce the beat that Natalie is gunshy about trying again with someone new after John, looking for an excuse to shy away from the risk - and Viki is there to tell her to press forward and go ahead with the date. No one in the scene says anything about her not having already rescheduled; Viki doesn't know Cutter and Natalie have already discussed it, all she knows is Natalie is worried about being hurt again and needs a push. That is the point of the scene. So it has nothing to do with the continuity, it has to do with a character beat. You're so eager to believe it's about continuity issues and these shows according to your perspective that you're not actually allowing the show as it happens to intrude on that.

Archived