OLTL: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No she did not. The above posts were referring to a joke that has spiraled from the AMC threads having to do with Jesse/Angie.

One more thought on today: Kelley Missal showed some flair for physical comedy today. I loved her popping up behind the guys offering cocktail weenies and then wiping out with the gnocchi. She impresses me more and more now that she is not Starr Lite.

• Members

The best stuff on the show was Viki and Clint on the Banner. Really smart, adult stuff - I just really appreciate the whole storyline and the way they're doing it.

The swerve on Todd was brilliant. I knew he was lying about only being back for Dani because we saw him with the card in the pilot, but I didn't realize he was acting on the organization's behalf. Both Todd and Victor know way too much. The question is what did Todd know and when did he know it? On GH, he was supposed to drop Starr in L.A. and then head straight to Llanview - that was at least three or four weeks before he actually showed up in town. How long has he known about whoever these people are? It's a real mindfuck and I love the story because I no longer have any idea who is what, where and why.

Natalie and Cutter are cute. That is all. I'm still getting used to Destiny being a junior contemporary of Nat's though.

I like the college stuff because honestly, that's who kids like that are and what they do and how they behave. It's all very real and they play it so well. It's plotless, but it's character (and building to Matthew/Dani as well as Jeffrey/Destiny). It's good stuff.

• Members

I'm really happy we've gotten some time to know these characters before their story heats up. I think was an excellent idea on the writers' part given that it involves recasts, a new character and a different (but more interesting) take on Dani. I feel like heavier plot is coming very soon but I like that we now have a sense of their dynamics and where everyone's head is at

• Members

I don't hate the youngsters, and I was resigned that the show was going to skew younger before it first aired. But I can't help resenting the amount of time devoted to them doing basically nothing.

And Matthew getting all gooey over some chick who lives in Toronto (real or imagined) is boring the hell out of me. Plus it's stupid.

The youngsters work in stories where they're integrated with the vets more. The drinking games and 3's Co. roomie situation should be the garnish in their lives, not the main course. As weird as it feels to me that Natalie and Destiny are hanging out together, Destiny is improved and made more interesting by that relationship. Her scenes with Nora were developmental as well and explained a lot about who she is and what she's made of. Same with Jeffrey and Viki. Matthew and Clint. I need more of that, and less of this "development". It's basically the same thing day after day and there's a LOT of time devoted to it at the expense of things that are more interesting TO ME.

• Members

I admittedly love them so I don't mind them getting a lot of airtime but I TOTALLY agree with your points about integration. That's how you get people who aren't hot on them to begin with to care.
I think they did a great job with Jeffrey and the Banner and playing Destiny with grown ups since her life is smart since her life is obviously way different than 3's Company. It gives her depth. I think Dani really needs to be playing more into the Todd story and Matthew needs more Buchanan stuff as well. Kelley plays so well opposite Roger and Florencia so its a waste to confine to her to the apartment & silliness with Matthew. The Matthew & Clint scene was one of the best of the entire show so far but we need to see him with Bo, Nora, Clint at BE & even David. David used to get through to him (in his ridiculous way) when Bo/Nora coudn't. And if David should be bugging anyone about this silly reality show, it should be his hot younger brother. They can work in some meta stuff about the show needing to skew younger. I'm writing it in my head right now.

• Members

Forgot to post in here before that I love Rama being a fan of "Vickerman"! Love her analyzing of the chipmunk tattoo and her being drafted into the reality show.

I like it and relate to it when people have passion for things that are not necessarily popular but that they truly believe in and see the merits of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched this...

I thought the Rama/David scenes were amusing but ran for too long. I would have been more interested if she'd tried to pick him up and he'd had to backpedal furiously. Still, the scenes were OK. I laughed when he talked about Uta Hagen because, while that was probably an unintentional homage, Hagen appeared on OLTL briefly and didn't have fond comments to make about daytime.

I agree with Vee that the Clint/Viki scenes about firing people from The Banner were the best part of the episode. They also serve as a metaphor for what happened to daytime, cutting so many people who had kids, history, families. And the whole idea of being unable to escape biology, and Viki fighting this. I think that's a very interesting story for Viki, and that Clint keeps insisting to her that you can't escape this, when he knows who her father was, is one of the reasons I would rather see these two break up. I do think Erika and JvD both did a great job in these scenes and I think Jerry is very adept at playing the Clint we're seeing on PP.

The Jeffrey/Matthew/Dani scenes mostly seemed to repeat each other. I know that Matthew is supposed to be somewhat soft under the player image, but I'm not sure I believe he would have fallen so hard for a girl he was chatting to over the Internet.

Natalie and Destiny as friends - I can't quite go there yet, but we'll see. I am waiting and seeing on Natalie and Cutter too, but it might work.

I laughed at Todd overhearing Tea's yelling. The Tea/Bo scene was very good, and they got Tea's motivations across in a way that still seemed true to her character. Todd being the one to spy on everyone was a great twist.

Archived