PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

A "proper" PR team? That can spin every decision that is made so no one panics prematurely over every change or adjustment? No such magician exists. They've made some hard choices. Like them or not, they are designed to draw in new viewers more than to accommodate us die hards. I don't like it. But I accept it because it's necessary.

Ask some of the bloggers how they feel about the proper PR departments from the network soaps.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like appealing to the diehard "fanbases" worked so well for network soaps all these years? It remains to be seen if their decision was the correct one. I don't know and don't claim to. But the "core" always seems to think they're entitled to call the shots and has the right to full disclosure from tptb. We don't. And PR doesn't make the call either. They just present the information as positively as possible. Spin. No way to spin this that would appease the diehards.

• Members

What I think PP should do is interact more with the diehards during the lull periods - why would a die hard for example watch a 30 minute first three week summary? I wasn't talking about giving the fanbases control of story. More is supposed to do that (appeal to diehards I guess), but really skypeing and all that, what about something simple like a releasing cast photography for every actor. It has to exist. That said they haven't built their infrastructure yet. There isn't even a cast bio section on their website for example, which is kind of ridiculous.

• Members

That wasn't produced for the diehards. Obviously. The diehards watched. Don't need a recap. It's not either or proposition. I'm sorry if you aren't pleased or satisfied. I've had a hard time adjusting myself. But this diehard continues to get enough out of every episode to eagerly anticipate the next.

More accomplishes a lot. Diehards hunger for BTS information. We want to be closer to the action and the actors. More provides that. Plus previews for the spoiler whores. History lessons for new viewers. The More episode this week was much better than the first two IMO. But you can't please everyone.

• Members

I know many fans myself included who face booked , tweeted etc those recap vids so friends can see what the shows are doing. No they arent gonna give u the small moments that make these shows great. But they cant do that in a 3 week recap that runs 30 mins.

I do have some friends now that went to Hulu & started watching because of me sharing the recap vids. I say they worked & that was TOLN's purpose for making them

• Members

Each soap doesn't have a good PR team. From what I recall only the CBS soaps have well received PR teams. Prospect Park has been a PR disaster from day one. As I said, it's not about the changes they're making, but how they're making them. You can't justify to me them blaming Susan Lucci for not being able to get the shows off the ground. You can't justify them making a drastic scheduling change THREE weeks into these shows run and then people getting upset about it. THAT is bad PR no matter how you try to spin it. They need somebody in charge for this, period. I don't even see how you can argue that.

There were many ways you can transition into showing two episodes per week in a way that wouldn't make them seem like they didn't know what they were doing. They could've continued airing 4 episodes per week and done a hiatus. That would've given people time to catch up viewing, plus they'd be able to start a fresh set of promo when the shows returned. Then when they came back they could make an informed decision on whether or not to switch to 2 episodes or keep it at 4. That would've given them time to see if viewers were still behind or catching up in the time they had when the shows weren't showing new episodes.

And it's not like they're doing anything different from what the network PR does, which is lie lie lie. Just like the daytime soaps, they need a good PR team. This is nothing new.

• Members

I agree with this. Part of the problem is that the audience needed answers to missing characters from the ABC finale and the 5 year gap, like where is Frankie and Randi, Where are Natalia and Brot, what happened to Greenlee and Ryan, among other characters who have huge fanbases that need answers and the answers are still not coming in the scripts.

PR needs to happen ASAP. It is time for another round of Promotional work to happen and the actors who are now on hiatus can start making that happen both on social media and also television media too.

Rushing the scripts can backfire to the audience who see gaps/holes in full effect. Audiences are very alert and aware of that.

• Members

Well from the soap press that has attended every press event for AMC & OLTL have said their PR team is impressive

I have seen more PR for these shows in 3 months than I had the last 10 years they were on ABC.

• Members

All shows would love to have new fans/viewers come on board to help with ratings but also just to have new fans, period.

All shows would love to have new fans/viewers come on board to help with ratings but also just to have new fans, period.

• Members

Absolutely right. The core fanbases don't call the shots. The suits call the shots and the financiers of shows call the shots. The companies producing have control rights. The fans don't have rights to full disclosure at all. We watch the shows and stick with them or not.

Absolutely right. The core fanbases don't call the shots. The suits call the shots and the financiers of shows call the shots. The companies producing have control rights. The fans don't have rights to full disclosure at all. We watch the shows and stick with them or not.

• Members

You seem confused about what PR does. The drastic scheduling change was a decision they made for whatever reason. You said yourself there is no way to justify it (although i disagree), which is basically the definition of PR. The craft of presenting information to the public to create the most positive public response possible. So the decision may have been a bad one (to be determined) and he PAr may have been ineffective. But he decision itself is not bad PR.

I think most viewers would have accepted the explanation that they weren't keeping pace with the production schedule. For one thing it's been a well documented fact. OLTL was supposed to have 40 episodes taped at the completion of their first block of taping (four weeks). They did not meet that target.

• Members

I read that as well.. and I was tipped off that they were running behind schedule when that music group performed on AMC (the one AJ got for Miranda).. and that segment was taped a week before the shows premiered and it was to air during the 2nd week of episodes. I knew that spelled trouble.. and looking at that episode.. it looked badly edited in.

If I were PP, I would have started airing the shows 2 or 3 times a week on the off chance that the production model/goals might not be met. If they were being met, then I would have then announced extending it to 4x a week.

If the shows were being filmed like a typical soap (not 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off).. then they would have had no trouble with the 4x a week air schedule.

Archived