PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

It does concern me. But at first blush I think it has more to do with the production schedule than the money - the latter just doesn't make total sense to me given the first batch of numbers. And I know AMC was apparently at the point where they were taping stuff this week for airing next week. That's not sustainable and would warrant some kind of change. I also think if it's true that they're going back into production in August then that is a good sign.

People tend to jump to "CANCELLED!" way too quickly. It could absolutely happen. I just don't think it's happening yet. I also think cutting the shows to 2 a week is a mistake.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Calming down a little more ... If they did this for financial reasons, I thank them for trying to come up with a model that works. If this becomes a model that works, it will be better than cancellation.

I'm very happy I still have and like my two network soaps though.

• Members

The thing that baffles me is that judging by the reaction online, at least part of what's in their press release citing their decision based on viewer habits is very accurate - people are already behind on these shows.

I just don't understand that. These shows have been an hour five days a week for years and now they are 25 minutes, 4 days a week. This is not difficult, Facebook. How can they be behind?

• Members

I agree. I think they're correcting where they went wrong. They should've simply started us off with two, so soap fans that AREN'T online viewers can learn to get use to watching their soaps via the TV screen. Then they move to three for awhile then four. People on the OLTL Facebook page are already threatening to quit watching. angry.png I had to bless them out and let them know that it's better to have something than nothing. Look at the P&G long suffering P&G fans (myself included).

• Members
I dont see thie as any different than when they were on tv. Of course people would fall behind. Thats something thats always happened. The current format made it easier to catch up, if that were to happen. IMO, it screws over those that do keep up. I wish they had scaled back to 3 instead of 2 bc that just seems too drastic

• Members

I can understand why they cut up to a point simply because if a binge viewer binges it's harder on the numbers and profits for an online show than it is one on network. I do think they should've cut to 3 if they had to cut. I don't think it will last.

Failing that, I'm just going to blame Carl for not watching til the absolute last second. It's his fault!

• Members

Before, I just watched OLTL. When the OLTLers moved to Port Charles, I started watching GH. I haven't quit GH because they left. I hadn't watched AMC in decades, but figured I'd give it a try to support PP and liked it. So where I was once watching 5 hours a week, I'm now trying to watch 9...and falling behind.

That's how it happens.

• Members

Frankly, I think it is the psychology of the viewing habits. When on TV they were 5 days a week at the same time each day. Now there is not structure. Because there is no structure people will procrastinate. Plus, the stupid FB fans who are just now figuring out the shows are back (along with EVERYONE at the place I work, customers and employees, who watched the shows) will now be able to get caught up.

• Members

Well, obviously the binge/falling behind thing is accurate, so it's not all entirely an evil conspiracy built by cheapskates to justify slowly killing the shows, as much of the online soap fandom would love to claim.

I still wish they'd cut to 3. But knowing these guys they will react pretty swiftly to the reaction as well, and we'll either get that or 4 again.

• Members

Who cares if people are binging? Isn't that the whole point? They're "anytime" soaps?

This sucks. I'm not even sure why I should keep watching. It's bad enough they sliced the episodes in half and only aired four days. Now, I'm only getting TWO?

They should have never brought these shows back if they couldn't produce them on a typical soap schedule.

Archived