OLTL: Thursday, May 16, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

Did Bo really announce himself as the "Commisshhhh" on the phone with Tea? :lol:

I enjoyed the stuff between Viki and Clint, and having Jack come over to talk. Destiny and Nora spending some time together was also sweet.

Interesting that they brought the body back and are starting to connect everything.

Matthew looking at the peanut butter and being tempted was amazing. For a moment I thought it would be Destiny on the phone as Michelle--as soon as I did, they cut to Destiny/Nora. Disappointed! lol

The ending was super creepy. I kept wondering whether they would show who it is! Very exciting.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOL-ed at the Commish thing too. I never remember Bo referring to himself that way.

On the one hand, I love the idea of Destiny as Michelle because it would be fun soap. On the other hand, I feel like they've set her up as this independent girl who has accepted/ resigned to the fact that Matthew is an ass right now and is working, going to school, taking care of her baby and just trying her best to play the hand she's been dealt and do what's best for Drew. And her being behind an elaborate ruse to mess with her baby daddy and create drama just doesn't gel with that. But seeing his head explode would be SO GOOD.

I fear Michelle is ultimately going to be Hannah 2.0 based on the casting call

• Members

I liked this episode a lot. It felt like there was stuff going on, and that kept me engaged. Totally intrigued by who is watching the Lords/Mannings, and this whole mystery tattoo organisation stuff. Loved the Bo/Natalie/Tea scenes; they felt like old times.

I've not been feeling nuDestiny, until today. She worked so well with Nora.

I like the Matthew/Dani/Jeffrey set-up, and even though they have been on in every episode, they work, and I'm loving Dani right now - there's nothing boring about her at all. I felt so sorry for Tea, who is now all alone, but I liked that Dani was there to support her while she packed up the nursery.

I liked the Jack/Viki scenes as well. I love that he went to Viki for advice instead of Dorian or Blair - that felt natural.

What I'm not liking at all is David filming his reality show. Every time he says the camera is off, Todd, Nora, and now Vimal start spilling their guts even though the damn camera is still pointing squarely at them! Why are they all suddenly stupid? They're smart people. The camera is still on!

Also, the show feels very empty, unless scenes are taken place in Shelter. All they need is a few sound effects of traffic, people, birds singing or whatever, to make the outside scenes feel and sound like they are indeed taken place outside. LVPD needs more noise to make it feel like the whole force doesn't just consist of Bo, Nora and Natalie.

I also wouldn't mind a bit of development with the Natalie/Cutter/Rama/Vimial story which isn't going anywhere fast enough.

• Members

"All they need is a few sound effects of traffic, people, birds singing or whatever, to make the outside scenes feel and sound like they are indeed taken place outside. LVPD needs more noise to make it feel like the whole force doesn't just consist of Bo, Nora and Natalie."

Agreed entirely (this goes for both soaps.)

• Members

Destiny and Nora were really lovely. Classic stuff. Same with Jack and Viki (and props to AT) - and yes, Dani and Matthew had some very good material. I just wish the stuff was a bit longer for the non-romantic material, though the Des and Nora scenes did run enough.

I think people lean on the instant crutch of "arrrr, young people!" way too quickly. The fact is, CB, KM and RG are all awfully good IMO, and so is their chemistry and their story. Of course the show is going to focus in on them, just as Gottlieb did Marty, Todd, Kevin, Rachel, etc. back in the day. When you have young, vibrant, beautiful, relatable people you are going to work them. That's a tradition as old as Larry and Merrie or Jenny and Brad.

• Members

I like(d) them at first. I'm not opposed to them. But they're on about a third of every episode every day. And nothing really happens but chem tests. We're 3 weeks in and they have more time than the Todd's. And there isn't a story. Just never ending chem tests.

• Members

I don't know that it is. Their story is they're young people out in the world. Matthew is ducking his responsibilities as a parent. Dani is a troubled young party girl. They're into each other which can seriously complicate things with Destiny, who Jeffrey has eyes for despite her being his best friend's ex. It's all classic youth soap stuff. They may not be curing cancer or solving a murder, but I think it's down to earth classic soap storytelling done well.

• Members

My thoughts exactly. They do have a story, and it doesn't have to be a major in-your-face kind of story to be a story. The problem is when characters aren't doing enough or aren't conflicted enough, and that's when you know they don't have a story. It isn't just love interests that's going on - Matthew has his deadbeat dad thing with Destiny & Drew, and his growing attraction to Dani, and this whole online dating thing; Jeffrey has his work at the Banner, and his conflicting feelings for his best mate's ex; while Dani can fill a whole stadium with her issues. If none of that constitutes storylines, then I don't know what does.

In contrast to them, you have Natalie, who doesn't have enough going on. A little flirtation with Cutter, feeling lonely... OK, but nothing is happening. Bo & Nora are the same - they have no real story happening right now. I guess that's one of the reasons why I liked her scenes w/ Destiny - they had a layer of conflict and it showed there's potential for Nora to be more involved with the Matthew/Destiny/Drew story.

With all that said, they do need to devote more time to the Natalie/Cutter/Rama/Vimal story, and if they have to shelve the young set for a couple of episodes to do that, then I'm all in favour. That story is crying out for some development.

• Members

The young group is one of the best things about the show. I love the fact that the show is spending time so that we get to know them. Instant love triangles and adventures might feel a little bit forced.

I still don't see where Natalie fits in storywise. Perhaps if she spent more time with her family... Because right now it feels as though she is some random secretary who appears on a recurring basis.

Archived