AMC: Thursday, May 16, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was something so fabulously retro Agnes Nixon about that Center City diner set and the clothes on the church lady, etc. It was all so weird and wonderful. And it matched my image of the place from the old '80s material I've seen.

Another solid show. J.R. and Cara, like David and Cara before them, have the right kind of wrong chemistry. I think he remembers everything. I think he's playing everyone and I think Ryan Bittle is great.

I just hope both these shows stay on track BTS, because I think there is such simple, fresh elegance to a lot of what they are doing, and I think they're sorely needed.

• Members

Yes! it's still a bit hard to grasp this take on prostituion a few blocks away from the Russians and that weird strip club. But absolutely, it felt like brilliant vintage AMC in a way the show simply hasn't at least since the 90s to me. I do hop ethat involving Billy Clyde adds a bit of levity to this story, while not makingit feel like a clash of styles. As for the Cassandra story, while I cringed through all of her scenes, I think they did a good job of pushing it but not showing what I would think of as too much.

I really really enjoyed today. I wish Celia and Petey had met better (though I liked that she admitted to Evelyn that he's kinda weird lol) but I really enjoyed their scenes today.

• Members

I like Rob Wilson so much as Pete that he makes anything work for me. He's just that good. Celia I'm still giving a chance though she's awfully bland right now - I like her backstory and the mystery. One wonders how patient people were with, say, Taylor Miller and Nina back in the day, since Nina is almost certainly the archetype. And yes, the Cassandra story is tough but not bad.

I also like David going into business with Pete. And I can't wait for

to get involved in all these dreaded anti-Fronsian business stories. I just hate fretting about the shows in the meantime.

• Members

One thing about Celia, even her slouchy posture reminds me of when Canadian actress Jessica Pare (Megan on Mad Men) was starting off in Canadian films like the teen lesbian drama Lost and Delirious and Stardom. OK she was better, but the whole look and voice are very similar.

I know they are limited by sets and extras, but I wish we could see her at the Miranda Center--maybe with Brooke, just to give her a bit more of a personality/background than what we've been told more than seen.

• Members

Wow! That was the longest 25 minutes of my life!

Are we really supposed to believe this new JR is Dixie's son? I don't care how much ghost makeup they ply onto CM, there is no way this guy should be playing her kid. A slightly younger lover (and I'm talking about 5 years or less), but her offspring? Yikes!

Celia - what is this girl on? She needs to bring it down several notches and then bring it down some more!

Not sure how much more graphic the show needs to be with Cass. We get it. If we are ever abducted and used as a sex slave, we know what to expect. I've only seen one eppy of it, and I don't understand why the audience needs to see so much of the vile side of things. Showing so much detail does not get a girl less abducted. I hope for the audience's sake, this does not last too much longer.

Debbie looks so good, and I love her hair! That was such a flattering outfit for her!

Billy Clyde!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I actually think the show has been very good about handling that material. Like I said above, they could've gone with a full on rape scene but thankfully they didn't. It's a dark story that presents a really fine line to walk. I think they've done well so far.

• Members

IA--I am loving the way they are handling the sex trafficking story. It's dark, without becoming incredibly graphic. They leave some things to the imagination, and some they don't. You just cannot do this kind of plotline without showing its reality. Otherwise, you're risking it coming off as less dangerous and horrid than it is, the audience might not care,it might seem underdeveloped or not fully realized, etc etc. For example, when Uri threatened to make Cassandra do a snuff film if she doesn't cooperate, it was just the right amount of shocking without being OTT, at least for me. We did not need to see him hold up scissors or something. But, it loses something if he doesn't say it.

There were a couple of instances of really nice music in the episode (like the piano in the David/Bianca scene).

I am loving how they are connecting David with Pete and bringing David and Bianca together. Also, Cara and JR. It opens up many possibilities. Bittle is so awesome.

And Billie, it seems like he never went away. There was something so... 80s, early 90s about that last scene, so weird and fun and original, while still reminding me of older times. It was such a... specific scene. Not a generic soap one. I can't imagine this type of scenes on many shows.

Archived