OLTL: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK episode, but for once I actually liked AMC more.

Agree they should have shown Todd and Jack, and not skipped so far ahead to Todd already recovering in the hospital. May have been because they don't necessarily have Roger Howarth for long. Also part of this is the new format of the show skipping important scenes.

Yeah, I too thought Jeffrey already knew Destiny worked nights at the Banner. I'd forgotten what she was apparently up to in the audition scripts, that EricMontreal referred to earlier in the thread. It does make sense they would emphasize her lying about her job if she's not really working at the Banner, but it still doesn't explain Jeffrey acting like he didn't already know she worked nights (I can forgive him not hearing it was at the Banner the first time, but as he said he was babysitting for her the other night, so he would know about the nights... hello!).

Also bad that they never showed Destiny picking up Drew the previous night, as others mentioned in the Tuesday episode thread. She would have realized her babysitters all got irresponsibly drunk.

The continuity on OLTL is really bad.

I liked David and Nora. There is no shame in comedy. Being super serious doesn't make a program more adult. David was also right, seeing Nora getting a facial did feel real ... I also think this video footage could end up being important and thus playing a plot role later on. Maybe when David comes again to see Nora, he will catch her doing her radio show that she is supposed to keep secret and that will make her lose her DA job.

Liked Todd/Viki, liked Bo not believing and then believing Todd, liked Blair/Cutter scene (I think they actually have potential sexual chemistry too), and liked the Blair/Todd scene. Liked Natalie saying part of why she likes science is it doesn't lie.

Can't believe Viki would be stupid enough to put $5 million all in one investment but investment Ponzi schemes and Madoff-type scandals are "ripped from the headlines" too, so at least it's topical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Todd out of the hospital at the start of the episode, no scenes with his family when he was hospitalized, no immediate reactions from his family and kids to his claim about Victor...really?

Seeing Bo and Natalie interact as co-workers and as family was wonderful. The last years of OLTL barely touched on this and I often wondered if he even cared about her. MA and RSW have a breezy, casual vibe together that I like. And Natalie rocks the cleavage at work.

More Blair running the club is never a bad thing. I liked her skirt. Her smacking Cutter's bottom was a nice ad-lib. They have taken away quite a bit of the pathetic and weak nature of Blair in OLTL's last years.

If Destiny is working at the Banner I wish we'd seen more of her there. The character feels very isolated. I empathize with Destiny but I have to admit that squealed, "YES WE DO!" when Matthew said she and Drew didn't have to go made me laugh.

Jeffrey is still this combination of too perfect and smarmy for me. I don't dislike him, but I don't connect with him.

I don't have a huge problem with Matthew, other than my not recognizing the character, but I feel like there's just a great deal of repetition with the character, in place of meaningful relationships. He's a player. He's a player. He has a kid he doesn't want to take responsibility for. He's a player. This has been every scene he's had since the first episode. I think they've done a better job of showing the different sides of Dani's character.

No, really, if you'd told me before watching the reboot that I'd say Dani was one of the best-written characters on the show, I'd think you were nuts.

I go into a rage when David says "Stepnora" but otherwise the scenes were OK. They felt disjointed from the rest of the episode, but as I've said, I prefer Nora in the everyday moments compared to big drama. I like that I can laugh with Nora instead of sitting through overly neurotic barking.

Bo has every reason to be wary of Todd but I didn't get the OTT anger or the complete unwillingness to believe Victor was responsible. It just felt plot-driven.

• Members

The Matthew beats will get hammered harder before they're not. I think the show is only beginning to change up that melody right now. And yes, IMO Dani is now probably the show's best, most complex young heroine since Natalie or Marty in their days.

You will see Viki with Destiny soon. I still have a hard time believing that set is Viki's office at the Banner and not home, though.

I agree that Bo being so reluctant to buy it was silly. He knows what Victor was. I didn't have a problem with them picking up with Todd getting out of the hospital, though.

• Members

I see some parallels with the other actresses in that the actress were strong as is Kelley and the characters were not princessy ingenues like Starr or Jess became.

I definitely want to see them in each other's orbits because of the history but it feels real to me that they're not BFF right now. Destiny has a ton of unfun real life responsibility and Dani's life is her own family drama and partying so I feel like neither one has the time or energy to deal with the other's stuff. Add in that they both have feelings for Matthew, are acutely aware of the other girl's history with him and Dani lives with him and pretty much condoned his treatment of Drew. odd as it is on paper, it makes more sense for Destiny and Natalie to have a bond right now. But once Michelle arrives, I feel like neither of them will be excited about her so maybe that's an opening for them to have a 1:1 scene.

Archived