AMC: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think that Mimo/AJ are getting less frustration (I don't want to call it hate just yet) because they're strongly anchored by their relationship to Bianca and JR. Pete/Celia are primarily focused on each other with some marginal assist from Opal and Brooke but Miranda and AJ's drama is a direct result of their parents. Personally, I think the break we need is more from AJ/Miranda together. Give us more of AJ with his family and Miranda with Bianca. IMO, an episode or two of apart time would be beneficial.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't agree more... I'd rather have a few days rest from AJ/Miranda while we get to see what Brooke, Opal, and Dixie are up to.

Part of me thinks Opal should have been the owner of the coffee shop with Jane there to manage it, or else have Opal revive the Glamorama where all the women could gather to gab and gossip (we could have seen Miranda there getting ready for the dance, while Bianca and Opal could be talking about Erica's latest adventures in Hollywood, even have Opal reveal in passing if Erica/Jackson have reunited or never got back together... for example).

I don't want to see Brooke and Opal playing second fiddle for Celia/Pete.. I want both Celia and Pete to be playing second fiddle for Brooke and Opal. We could see Brooke taking a liking for Celia and wanting to help her out.. thus clashing with Evelyn and this mystery guardian as she starts running Chandler while clashing with JR/Colby. Plus, we could see what Opal has been up to.. is she running a business.. is she dating anyone?

Plus, we could rotate those scenes/stories with the human trafficking story.. plus AJ/Miranda.. and JR coming out of the coma. I know this is a half-hour show now.. but if all these stories are on non-stop without a break then it will become like it was on ABC.

• Members

Dimitri coming back should be marked as a spoiler. I am excited for Colby. I cannot imagine Susan will sign on to this full-time. We will likely see her here and there for special guest arcs and events

I don't think we necessarily need an influx of characters in their 30s to attract fans in their 30s. I am 25 (in that super coveted 18-34 demographic) and I love AJ & Miranda and also David, Opal, Brooke & Adam, who are all outside my age group. When the show was centered around the 30something group of Ryan, Kendall and Greenlee, the all important 18-34 and 18-49 demographics plummeted and the show was cancelled.

agree 100%. i just want a day without the guitar riff. I really like them & think they will ultimately be AMC's first great young couple in years.

• Members

I don't see much hate for the OLTLers anywhere, really. And I don't think it'd be warranted for A.J. and Miranda either. The reality is these shows, particularly AMC, are have a definite focus in on these kids. It helps that they work.

I want to see more of Brooke, Adam, etc. as much as anyone, but I think what they have done is slowly rebuild the show - which they're still doing - with a new canvas mixed with older characters. And I think that takes time and it has to assert its new paradigm. You can't do that by going about business as usual with all the old favorites first.

• Members

I LOVE both younger sets and am always up for teen stories as long as the acting is not terrible, which is certainly not the case on either show. The only reason I threw in the OLTLers (who are my favorite storyline on both shows) was that I saw multiple separate threads on SOC about bratty, unlikable, bad role model, show-eating young characters on SOC. I am not seeing any of that on either show. I think Allison Goodman had a really daunting job casting/recasting a lot of key legacy kids (Erica's daughter's daughter, Adam the 3rd, Palmer's son, Bo & Nora's son) and did AMAZING.

• Members

Other than Jordan I'm not seeing anything wrong with the acting. It's the airtime I take issue with.

Someone on another board said about the 'A team' on OLTL (first off referring to the younger set as the 'A team' doesn't endear them to me JP) 'How can I miss you if you never go away?' That's the feeling I have about the teen set on both shows. Or any story that is on every single episode. No one should be on that much.

And if they are - they better be a long time fan favorite and not characters they just came on.

• Members

Darnell is 58? And Debbi is 56? Holy God are they drinking from the fountain of youth? I know I watched from when they were first on and it's been decades but they don't look that old to me.

I completely get what you're saying about the demo and advertisers. I just think the mindset that to get those people you need to have endless days of the teen set. Like I said I started watching at 4 because I loved Doug and Julia on DOOL. They were not teens. In my twenties I watched for Brooke/Adam, Ross/Natalie, Dorian, Alan and Monica and Luke.

What are they basing this 'write for the teens and the coveted will come' MO on? Focus groups? Dear God say it ain't so. I say write good stories played out by good actors playing tried and true characters and they will come.

• Members

Right there with you. I will keep watching because I'm so appreciative they brought these shows back (may not seem like it from all the kvetching LOL) but I really did get excited at finally seeing Adam and Brooke back together and getting married. And other characters from the past I loved.

I wouldn't mind Pete/Celia or AJ/Miranda if they were on less. Same convos lasting twice as long as my faves scenes while cutting their airtime becomes annoying.

But I will just give it time. Like others have noted they're still working things out.

And ICAM about Julia. She just looks gorgeous to me. I will say I loved her wardrobe for her 2010 visit. Especially the green dress from Annie's daymare that Adam was leaving her for Brooke.

• Members

I think part of the problem with the shows are the casts are too small and they are showing some characters every day. If you don't like the focus you get bored...and the people who do like the focus eventually will freak if the performers leave.

• Members

More, schmore! Debbi Muthafcukin Morgan replied to my tweet. That's all I care about!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/thersinclair">thersinclair</a> I'm so sorry...LOL!</p>&mdash; Debbi Morgan(@debbimorgan) <a href=" 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's refreshing after that disturbing psycho incident I encountered on twitter last week. mellow.png

• Members

Linda actually made some good posts today. I echo that the episode was well balanced today. And I didn't see anyone else bring this up but it seemed to me like Opal knew exactly what she was doing because I got the sense she has changed her mind and would like Pete to see Celia less. She basically pulled the classic reverse psychology ploy on Evelyn and Evelyn fell for it. At least that's how it played to me.

I am sorry, but I just can't with Dixie, at least not how she is being written now. I can not take her or Jesse with the constant "David is all things evil" diatribe. I get that it's part of the way David's story is supposed to go, but I feel like they used to pull it off better without making other characters sound so utterly ridiculous.

• Members

LMAO! Congrats! Debbi replied to a tweet of mine a couple of months back and I called my mom to tell her "ANGIE HUBBARD TWEETED ME!!"

Yeah, I was really confused by Opal today. I couldn't figure out whether she was honestly being that dense and meddlesome or if she's turned in to PV's answer to Lucille Bluth.

Archived