AMC: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Nelsen was fantastic in his reaction to not being recognized by his own dad. The writers are using this so wisely to continue to develop and show his relationship with Miranda. I'm enjoying them so very much. RB is very good as well... he's totally selling this for me.

The club scenes were excellent. I'm not crazy about the actress but this is tough material. Zach seemed totally in his element! Really liked the extreme soapiness that was Zach and Cassandra missing each other by seconds, twice. :lol:

Oh Morgan! I almost lost a contact because I was crying so hard. So happy about the scene where she walks out of the room and breaks down. She gave it her all and the directing really did her well, too! The David/Jesse confrontation was also great. David was so sweet to Angie. And I cannot wait for David vs JR!

No Petey/Celia again! How lucky are we? :D

Oh, and

Tyrion_slaps_Joffrey.gif

She deserves it.

• Members

No, they shoot out of order like they always did. I think that was a rumor that spread like wildfire. They may have parts of 20 episodes done but I don't think it was 20 whole episodes. All of Eden's scenes were filmed in the first two weeks but I bet she's done airing in the next week or so. It was pretty obvious the scenes were post-break, Debbi, Vincent, Eric, Denyse, and even Cady had alterations in their hair lengths/styles.

• Members

Darnell Williams and Debbi Morgan are the most greatest Black Soap Actors of All Time On High. They have won more Emmy awards than even the academy can remember. Angie and Jesse represent everything that is good and holy and progressive about Black folks. That is why they are remembered and those others (no doubt, also created by Agnes Nixon) are not.

• Members

It was a slog to get through this episode. Eric Nelsen's crying and other sad acting was unconvincing. Also, all the weird camera angles in the episode (such as looking down on Angie crying) seemed like bad attempts to be "arty" and took me away from the emotion of the scene instead of allowing me to feel it. And I think AJ made JR out to be worse of a dad than he was to AJ when he wasn't in a coma (not that JR was a great dad, and not that teens don't tend to exaggerate their problems).

So I guess "Synnamon" is Lea -- way to give away that plot twist in the opening credits, show.

Zach just missing Cassandra's performance -- really? I usually like soaps dragging out stories and milking them but this is one story I want ended faster. It's just too miserable and graphic for me, as I've stated, although I do appreciate the attempt to shed a light on a real-world problem.

On the positive side, I liked JR taking responsibility for his actions the night of the shooting as he found out about them. I also liked David being genuinely concerned for Cassandra.

I agree with those who would prefer David and Angie to stay friends -- mainly because I know any relationship wouldn't last and I wouldn't want Angie to be a Dixie-ish figure shrieking at David when it ended. I also see the point of those who have concerns about wider industry and media issues in regards to racial representation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's difficult for me to invest in AJ's meltdowns. When he went back home after seeing JR, my first thought was, "He's going to throw the decanter...yep, there he goes," followed by, "If he threw the decanter so close to him I'm surprised he didn't get any cuts."

I did like the scene where Miranda consoled him. They do a good job of showing her kinder moments. I've said it before, but I prefer these two as friends.

Some of the dialogue they gave AJ was stilted ("my own father and his own son"...jeez), but hearing him talk about the father he'd never had was moving.

I'm so glad Jesse didn't punch David, as he would have on the ABC version. Some great scenes all around with this story. Very effective montage with Angie's prayer mixed with Cassandra being forced to dance. I'm still skipping most of Cassandra's scenes.

That was more flesh on Lea than you'd get on ABC. I was surprised to see Paula Garces, as she went on to some major TV work, like The Shield, after leaving GL. Unfortunately, she still can't act.

Not sure how I feel about JR but I thought his reactions to everything were believable enough, and I was pleasantly surprised that he was willing to go to jail for what he did to Marissa.

I wish Dixie was written with more nuance.

Archived