Daytime lineup programming shuffles

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There were periods in the late 80s where SB and especially DAYS had ratings spikes. I think SB had a rating spike of sorts when Cruz/Eden married.. I recall a few instances where SB jumped above #10.. but I think pairing Days & SB back to back would have helped SB.. but killed AW faster. A shame that AW didn't jump to CBS.. it seemed more like a CBS soap then an NBC soap.. for some reason especially in the 90s

• Members

I live outside the States so I don't always understand the main channels and affiliates. You have a central TV network like NBC, so it decides that it airs Days at a specific time - why is it not then shown at the same time across the country (taking account of time zones)? Why do the affiliates seem to have some power of deciding whether to air a show or not? Surely it is in NBC's best interest to have Days (or any show) shown at the specified time and across the whole country? Why isn't there a general NBC feed that is time-shifted for time zones and then local areas just shown local ads and local news during specific slots?

• Members

I'm pretty sure he is; I believe AMS said he lives in Louisiana.

For me (growing up in Grand Rapids, MI), the lineup was:

ABC:

12:30PM-1:00PM

Loving / The City / Port Charles

1:00PM-2:00PM

All My Children

2:00PM-3:00PM

One Life to Live

3:00PM-4:00PM

General Hospital

CBS:

12:30PM-1:30PM

The Young and the Restless

1:30PM-2:00PM

The Bold and the Beautiful

2:00PM-3:00PM

As the World Turns

3:00PM-4:00PM

Guiding Light

NBC:

1:00PM-2:00PM

Days of our Lives

2::00PM-3:00PM

Another World / Passions

(Santa Barbara aired on NBC after I was born, but I was too young to ever remember seeing it on TV).

• Members

Not that I saw SB firsthand, but their style of soap would have paired up nicely with DAYS' wacky over-the-top gothic tales of the mid-90's. If it had lived past January 1993 and aired after DAYS once Reilly's brand of stories began airing, there may have been a ratings upswing (though that would mean AW would have been cancelled by January 1997 to make room for Sunset Beach).

• Members

Re AW and SB/SuBe timeswap I agree on paper that the 2 newer soaps would have worked better following Days and taking on OLTL and ATWT but I think the problem was that 3pm timeslot is very important to affiliates as it is the lead in to their local programming and the networks try to keep them happy.

Putting AW at 3 would have led to outrage from affiliates as its ratings and demos would have dragged down the lead out.It was perceived as a failing/tired show.Not that SB.SuBe or Passions did any better but they were sold as hip promotable shows that would grab the audience and in time would build better ratings.

CBS had the same issue which is why GL was dumped from 3pm on many stations including CBS owned and operated like New York where GL aired at 10am for years.

• Members

I think the Y&R was on at 3pm in New York right? I didn't live in NY but I had Direct TV so I remember coming home and watch the Y&R. Back then (the mid to late 90s) Direct TV didn't show local network affiliates at that and you had to watch other regional network affiliates like NY, LA, Nashville, and Seattle.

• Members

I've been SCREAMING that for years. Had SB stayed on the air past Jan '93, and NBC switched the lineup to DAYS/SB/AW, I think the show would have thrived. Hell, all 3 may have ended up thriving- SB would have been the perfect bridge between DAYS and AW during the Reilly years. And maybe we never would have had to sit through Rachel/Justine.

Yeah, they would have had to go. Definitely would have been part of the deal. I actually sometimes wonder if it was their job to destroy the show and take away it's identity because that's exactly what they did. I don't think Rauch was the bigger problem here, unfortunately, because I didn't mind the production during the Dobsons' period before it. Long's SB wasn't SB, it was a bunch of boring people that we didn't care about and the heavy-handed issues they all seemed to have. Everybody talks about the Walkers but people forget about the dreadful DeAngelis/Beckwith house of horrors, another shoddy Long-spun tale that ate the show in the summer prior to its axing. The only characters I'd ever want to revisit from that time were the ones that were there before and some of them had gone off the rails dreadfully (Augusta was committed) and were horribly recast (JW's Warren, ED's Kelly).

• Members

I lived in a variety of places where shows aired at different times;

St. Louis:

AMC aired a day behind for a couple of years because the affiliate ran a football game in December. Rather than skip the episode, they stayed on that schedule for a long time. Local programmers can be really dumb.

EON aired after Nightline

SFT didn't air either on CBS or NBC during 1980s

DAYS aired at 4 p.m. (when CBS had Oprah)

Y&R moved to 4 p.m. (when NBC had Oprah) - it still airs there today (during the 1980s - STL was the #1 market for Y&R as the stars filmed promos announcing that)

Chicago:

GL at 10 a.m. - day behind for most of run

Seattle:

Did not air B&B for several years.

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks Y&R has the perfect time-slot? I mean, right after the 12:00 noon news, everyone has there TV on and then there is Y&R. I think if ATWT had that time-slot it would still be on TV today.

• Members

In August 1980, NBC should have returned AW back to the 3:00-4:00 PM timeslot that it aired in for most of the 70s. AW was a know identity, and while its ratings were slipping, was in better shape to hold its own against GH and GL. Texas should have premiered as a half-hour show in the 2:30 PM timeslot right before AW. The Doctors could have remained at 2:00 PM, with DAYS at 1 PM. When NBC acquired SFT in 1982, it could have taken the 12:30 timeslot without moving The Doctors timeslot three times in three years.

Not sure what NBC was thinking launching Texas as the first 60-minute soap and putting it against GH and GL. It was set up to fail from the beginning. Then, they moved it to the morning against Price is Right- another not so bright move. I also wonder why NBC even bothered to move The Doctors to 12:00 PM for eight months when it acquired SFT. Why didn't they cancel The Doctors at the time of the SFT switch rather than let it limp along until the end of the year?

• Members

I think NBC was hoping to cash in on the Dallas craze going on at that time. Didn't work, though I do remember watching Texas as a young child. But I really couldn't go into who any of the characters were except for Iris.

• Members

If AMC hadn't aired during the noon slot pacific time, I prob would have never gotten hooked on soaps. It was just at the right time to be able to watch most of it while I was home for lunch.

I do think Agnes Nixon was probably right with her desire to stick Loving between AMC and OLTL where I suspect it would have had more of a life.

Archived