• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have weeks of TV shows to get caught up on thanks to my vacation and I keep forgetting that "Sleepy Hollow" still exists. It's amazing how in one season they took me from loving the show to being so apathetic that I didn't even realize the new season started.

I don't believe they can ever get back the fan goodwill they squandered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Wow, I'm surprised they killed Abbey and got rid of Beharie. I didn't watch the finale but got feeds of her departure. I wondered if her character was truly dead and would be revived if there's a season 4 but after reading Beharie's comments it's final. Reports are also saying she wanted out of her contract for quite some time. 

http://tvline.com/2016/04/08/nicole-beharie-leaving-sleepy-hollow-abbie-dead-season-4-interview/

• Members

I really only glanced at the show a few times over the last couple years, but it was always clear its premise and its pull was that duo together and the audience the both of them brought in with what is still an unconventional pairing.

I think there are a lot of situations where people online fight the wrong battles and take scalps for the wrong reasons; this is not one of those cases. Look at shows like Castle where the two leads allegedly do not get along BTS or one of them is supposedly a nightmare - they still move heaven and earth to keep the pair together for Season 192 because they understand that they are the core premise and indispensable to that audience. The stars of Bones go so far as to sue FOX, and FOX still buckles for them. But you cast a black woman paired on a show with a white man where they're the central double act and suddenly one half of the pair can't get on DVD commentaries, is underpromoted or under-utilized and then sidelined for a succession of white additions? Even if she wanted out (and likely for the reasons outlined above), Helen Keller could see the difference in attitude.

This is a kind of show suicide that rivals FOX's own regularly-mentioned-by-me New York Undercover - and at least they still had Malik Yoba and Lauren Velez. And it's obvious at least someone either at the network or at the show or likely both feels the SH "problem" would be solved and the show formula will be cracked to allow it to run for years to come if they just bank on yet another show starring yet another charming Brit and find a new woman who can bounce off him and be less black. There are dozens of procedurals like that, why can't SH do it if they just 'fix' this one thing? The logic is obvious, it's disgusting and I hope they don't get away with it in 2016. Adding another woman of color is not going to change the issue, either.

Hopefully people will stop riding The Walking Dead about the ancient days of T-Dog now, BTW. That show is heavily black both in front of and behind the camera (Ernest Dickerson, Seith Mann, etc), employing half the onscreen and behind the line talent from The Wire. And it was clearly something the current showrunner prioritized.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The sad thing is it poisons the well - I've seen Michonne fans insisting the show will now have her as the one Negan killed because it proves you can't trust white people. And I guess I can see why someone would feel that way, even though I think they've shown a lot of love and care to Michonne and I personally don't think she will be the one who dies.

I guess the network or various showrunners assumed the show was popular because of Tom Mison (I think there was even talk at the time that he was invited to a lot of interviews and appearances and she was not), and viewers would support a shift in focus to that effect - at one point, he and his long-lost wife were living in her home rent-free while she would go out and buy them food and supplies. And one of the writers who used to work on the show basically said it's not always about race, but when a black female lead is repeatedly pushed aside for the white male lead and various white actresses (while she was supposed to be stuck with a man who'd slept with her sister), and she is then killed off, viewers are told it was fine that she died because her purpose was to keep him going, and he is going to off to find some new version of her, then of course it's about race.

Hell, they didn't even follow Beharie on Twitter. She had to ask them like a month ago.

The most annoying part to me is they had the arrogance to compare this to City on the Edge of Forever. I don't think so.