OLTL: Thursday, May 09, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

What I liked about the JFP era is that every one of the veteran performers/characters was front and center - Asa, Renee, Bo, Nora, Max, Blair, Dorian, etc. IMO, all of those characters were floundering, especially during the Maxine Levinson era (OLTL's worst producer, IMO) The Rappadavidsons were extensions of the vets, as far as I perceived it, anyway. Pretty much each new character that JFP brought in served story for familiar favorites. I mean, seriously, Renee was front burner! Before Lindsay and Sam, Bo and Nora were practically under fivers. Viki had lost focus and importance. I LOVED that Asa constantly referred to the Rappadavidsons as interlopers, echoing much of the audience's reactions. LOL! Oh, and I cannot tell you how much I loved the daily interactions and squabbles at the Buchanan mansion when Asa, Renee, Max, Blair (and later Skye) all lived there.

No, I did not like Tim Gibbs' Kevin , nor did I appreciate the way Mel and Cassie were dispatched. But overall, I thought the show was very emotionally driven with no campy antics or fantasy fluff. The show had more focus and passion with JFP at the helm that it had for the previous two years.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I actually kind of like this - I don't think Nora was ever a character who worked well with huge dramatic stories. I actually hated most of them, or was bored by them, aside from her first year or two on the show. I think she works best with smaller material, and then supporting in other stories. I think she and Bo are good "everyday life" characters, not melodramatic characters.

The Dorian/Viki feud still isn't working for me. Dorian is a better schemer than this to suddenly be forgiving and happy just as Viki learns of this money opportunity.

I did like her brief scene with Jack.

Todd being fine around everyone but Viki was odd (although I guess he was still supposed to be loopy in some of those scenes with the kids).

Everything with Victor is strange but it somehow works...aside from the hilarious scene hiding behind the laundry cart.

I can see what Pepperman meant about the stories feeling disjointed. The Bo/Nora stuff was completely separate from the rest of the episode.

Archived