Y&R: Jeanne Cooper has passed away

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Judging by what he's done thus far, I don't see him being able to pen a suitable funeral for Kay. IMO, I still don't think that he has a good grasp as to what Y&R is. Yes, he's TEN times better than MAB but he ain't perfection. IMO, Kay or John are the only writers that are capable (and studied) under Bill and knows what he'd do for a character like Katherine.

• Members

Those scenes with Katherine and Jill were ominously prescient.sad.png

The selfish person in me, feels like another piece of my childhood has gone away and that wonderful era of soaps that I grew up in (80s) has truly drawn to a close (at least on CBS, it has).

I guess, at the very least, I got the opportunity to see a professional in action-- who gave it her all, down to the last. I'm grateful that Corbin let us in more than he ever had to so that we could make our peace with the reality of the deterioration of her health and the end of her earthly existence. All I can offer in return is my deepest condolences to him and their family.

Thank goodness for You Tube where I can go and relive her best moments on Y&R and hopefully on other prime-time shows (it would be nice if MeTV could show some episodes this weekend). And yes, that will include Brenda Dickson because they had terrific chemistry as JC with Jess Walton.

What else is there to say, I will miss her and her feisty and hilarious interviews and her presence but I am glad she is at rest.

• Members

You will be missed Jeannie Cooper. While I haven't watched Y&R regularly in a while, I appreciate that Y&R never put Kay out to pasture or only drag her out for "special occasions". She pretty much constantly got story until the end.

• Members

RIP, Ms. Cooper. I'll simply add that you were one of the few reminders of how great this show once was and could be again, so I thank you very much for providing us with decades of great entertainment.

On another note: what's the likelihood that SOAPNet'll actually dedicate a weekend-long marathon to the great Kay Chancellor?

• Members

While someone already explained the whole SOAPNET-being-owned-by-ABC thing to me, I'm sure that they can make an exception and make the same (at the very least) effort for Ms. Cooper as they did for the 50th anniversary of GH. If those GH throwback weekend ratings were any indication, folks would definitely tune in to watch some vintage Kay throughout a weekend (or at least DVR it).

• Members

Oh I just thought about it, they need to bring Amber back despite how many of us feel about her.

Plus, isn't the actor that portrayed Rex and at least one of the Phillip Chancellor actors alive? I'd really love for them to greet Katherine into heaven a la Dixie did on AMC. I thought that was cute.

• Members

If they have any class, they'll do what OLTL did with Phil Carey and Clint Ritchie and let the old faces limitations BS slide. Show clips of the original actors, specifically Brenda Dickson. Give the audience some [!@#$%^&*] credit.

• Members

As someone said, I doubt Soapnet would devote a marathon to Ms. Cooper's untimely passing. But, then again, it may be out of Soapnet's hands: The TV Guide Channel (now half owned by CBS) may now be the ones that hold the rights, so it may be up to them, since Y&R will debut in the summer at its new home.

While I wasn't a viewer of Y&R, my late grandma was, so I'm familiar with Ms. Cooper's work, a little. I still find it sad another piece of daytime's golden era is gone. May she RIP.

As someone said, I doubt Soapnet would devote a marathon to Ms. Cooper's untimely passing. But, then again, it may be out of Soapnet's hands: The TV Guide Channel (now half owned by CBS) may now be the ones that hold the rights, so it may be up to them, since Y&R will debut in the summer at its new home.

While I wasn't a viewer of Y&R, my late grandma was, so I'm familiar with Ms. Cooper's work, a little. I still find it sad another piece of daytime's golden era is gone. May she RIP.

Archived