Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Y&R: Jeanne Cooper has passed away

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#201 DaytimeFan

DaytimeFan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think we need confirmation that the show is, indeed, killing off Katherine Chancellor before we start thinking of how the funeral will play out. CBS has yet to confirm that she won't be recast. 

#202 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

To me, it sounds like some one-off special where the actors talk about Jeanne and they show highlights from her years as Katherine.

The funeral/death of the character may take a few more weeks to come on the show itself (if they go that route).

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, 10 May 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#203 SoapDope

SoapDope

Contract

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

I wonder if they will show her first scenes from 1973 ? It would also be cool if they showed when she first met Jill at Hazel's beauty shop.

#204 Darn

Darn

wRecKed

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think we need confirmation that the show is, indeed, killing off Katherine Chancellor before we start thinking of how the funeral will play out. CBS has yet to confirm that she won't be recast. 

I have no doubt that they will kill her off.

#205 soapfan770

soapfan770

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I know they probably won't but I hope they bring Vernee Watson back for Katherine's service (if the actress is still alive). She was a woman Katherine met while living at a homeless shelter, and she stayed with Katherine at the mansion for a few months.

I'd definitely agree they should bring back Birdie, especially over that rude Pearl woman! 

I wouldn't know who to bring back, obviously Brock, Mac, JT, Phillip, Dina, etc. But hey, can you image bringing back Ellen Weston to crash the funeral?

#206 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

They film 6 weeks in advance so that's definitely a special and not Katherine's funeral service. 

#207 yr9190

yr9190

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm glad they are giving Jeanne this tribute. :), I wonder if they will bring back past co-stars?

If they do decide to do a funeral episode, I bet it probably won't air till early July, but hopefully they decide to actually do a funeral episode.

#208 WillenFan21

WillenFan21

Contract

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

'The Young and the Restless' Plans a Celebration to Honor the Life of the Late Jeanne Cooper

Amazing.

I'm guessing they'll just be all gathered on set and talk about her interview style.

I got tears after reading this. I've been so emotional over her death and I haven't even watch Y&R since like ATWT went off air. RIP Jeannie. <3
&nbsp;

#209 WorldTurningDays

WorldTurningDays

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I know people wanted the Jill and Katherine feud reignited, but I honestly LOVE that Jeanne's last scenes were a quiet and touching moment with Jill. Jess Walton's face in that scene though, just broke my heart. You could tell from them both that was it for them.

It was the perfect goodbye without being overly emotional or silly. The look on Jill's face was telling.
I hope Jill is used more often. She is the new grande dame now that Kay is gone.

#210 Nate4

Nate4

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

May 10, 2013, LOS ANGELES, CA … Internationally renowned actress Jeanne Cooper, who played the vibrant and tough grand dame with a heart of gold, Katherine Chancellor on “The Young and the Restless”, died on May 8, 2013 after a brief illness.

She was born Wilma Jeanne Cooper in Taft, California on October 25, 1928, of English, Irish and Cherokee Indian descent, something she’s always been extremely proud of, to Albert Troy Cooper and Sildeth Evelyn Moore. After graduating high school in the rural oil field town, she attended the College of the Pacific and performed in the Civic Light Opera Company and Revue Theatre in Stockton, California before graduating from the famed Pasadena Playhouse School in Pasadena, California.

Her professional career began with the film “The Redhead from Wyoming” with Maureen O’Hara in 1953, followed by many classics such as “The Man from the Alamo” with Glenn Ford, “There Was a Crooked Man” with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda, “The Boston Strangler” with Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda and George Kennedy, “Tony Rome” with Frank Sinatra and Jill St. John, “The All-American Boy” with Jon Voight, “The Glory Guys” with James Caan, “Kansas City Bomber” with Raquel Welch and “Let No Man Write My Epitaph” with Shelly Winters. More recently, Cooper starred in the feature films “Carpool Guy”, directed and starring her son Corbin Bernsen, as well as “Three Day Test” and “Over the Hedge”, also produced by Bernsen’s film company, Public Filmworks.

Additionally, Cooper became a recognizable name by starring in many early television shows such as “Playhouse 90”, “The Twilight Zone”, “Perry Mason”, “The Untouchables”, “The Virginian”, “Maverick”, “Bracken’s World”, “Ben Casey”, “Bonanza”, “The Big Valley”, and many others.

Cooper’s most notable stage credits include starring roles in “On the Town”, “The Miracle Worker”, “Plain and Fancy”, and the touring production of “Plaza Suite”. She also starred in the critically acclaimed “Love Letters” at the Canon Theatre in Beverly Hills.

In 1974 she joined the William J. and Lee Phillip Bell daytime drama “The Young and the Restless”, which just celebrated its 40th anniversary on CBS, in the iconic role of Katherine Chancellor. Cooper was the longest-running cast member on the series. In 1984, footage of Cooper’s real-life facelift was televised on “The Young and the Restless” as her character underwent the surgery at the same time. Additionally, she made public, through Y&R, her struggle with alcoholism. She liked to say that she was the first reality show on television.

During her 40 seasons with Y&R, Cooper garnered 10 Daytime Entertainment Emmy nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, winning in this category in 2008, and one Daytime Entertainment Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. Additionally, she received the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ Lifetime Achievement Award in May of 2004.

In 1962 she was nominated for a Prime-time Emmy Award for her role on “Ben Casey.” In 1987 she was nominated, again, for her recurring role on “L.A. Law,” playing the mother to her real-life son, Corbin Bernsen in the category of Outstanding Guest Performer in a Drama Series. Bernsen subsequently joined his mother on “The Young and the Restless” making several guest appearances as the priest Father Todd.

Additionally, in 1989 Cooper received a Soap Opera Digest Award and the Soap Opera Digest’s Editor’s Award for her portrayal of Katherine Chancellor on Y&R. She was awarded two First American in the Arts Awards as Lead Actress in a Drama Series and in 2009 was the recipient of the coveted AMEE Award from the AFTRA Foundation. Cooper received her star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1993.

In 2012, Cooper published her memoir, “Not Young, Still Restless”, which she wrote with her dear friend Lindsay Harrison, which was a New York Times best-seller.

Cooper has been the spokesperson for “No2Debt.com”, a company that helps people reclaim their lives by getting out from under the burden of debt. She also is extremely proud of “Spring Board Center” in Midland, Texas, a facility for drug and alcohol addiction that she co-founded.

Cooper was pre-deceased by her parents and brother, Jack Cooper. She is survived by her three children, Corbin, Collin and Caren, eight grandchildren as well as her sister Evelyn Rader, and her beloved animals, Bishop, Daisy, and Crackerjack. Services are pending.

#211 SoapDope

SoapDope

Contract

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

I saw on youtube that Marie Osmond posted her December 2012 interview with Jeanne. Marie was a big fan of hers and has been watching Y&R since the 70's.

I know they probably won't, but it would be interesting if they interviewed former cast members like Julianna McCarthy, James Houghton, William Gray Espy, Jamie Lynn Bauer, Janice Lynde, Robert Colbert and Donnelly Rhodes etc......who were there in the early days with her.

Jeanne has always been close to her cast. She said that when she started on Y&R, everyone all came out to greet her. She said William Gray Espy ran up and hugged her.They had met a year before on a movie. I also remember reading articles that said she would bring them food, take them on little field trips, throw parties etc.....

In her book I crack up at the story about Brenda in the early days, where she asked her to pick up her fur coat and Brenda acted like she had asked her to wash and kiss her a**.........LOL

#212 jcren

jcren

Vixen

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

From Corbin's Facebook Posting:

The day continued to bring peace with only brief moments/flashes of sorrow. For the most part I've come to a quicker than expected belief that my mom, right until the end, worked her magic and made all things exactly as they should be. I played back the last couple weeks and whereas I thought maybe she wanted more time, I think I was wrong - that was me wanting more. There were so many "hints" of her "ready to go." But she would graciously play it out until we were all ready, and in our proper places on the "stage." The consummate director.

This evening we gathered at her house for a meal. I was, admittedly frightened, not knowing if I would be ready to see this hub where the family had gathered for so many years, swimming in the pool, eating birthday dinners at her large table, or just laying next to her on the bed, talking about "stuff." But again, I was wrong. It was magnificent. I know I use that word quite a bit, but it was, it was extraordinary. Sure, had a quick cry when I went into her bedroom, smelled the sheets, the traces of her scent, but then it all suddenly lifted and there we were, together, her family, eating at the table once again, laughing. And she was most definitely with us, offering up her home as always, seated right alongside us at the table.

My brother in law shared with me her final scene from Young and Restless, one I had heard about only yesterday. Her final bit of "acting," or as I'm coming to believe, "being." Mom never acted, she fully became the role. Like with so many things in her life, the lines we usually draw between where we stand on issues or the line between actor and character - they simply didn't exist for her. All things simply "are." Well, as many of you know by now, that was her final scene. In it I saw a woman, who some two months ago "knew" that this was to be her farewell scene. The end of a 40 year journey on the show and a sixty year journey as an actor. Her simple "goodnight" at the end - an improvised line - pretty much said it all. But the entire two minutes or so - if you study them carefully - is the stuff of legends. Each word, her mannerisms... all extraordinary now in the context of what was coming. I'm attaching it here, watch closely and you'll see a woman in complete control of her destiny - right up until the end. My mom. Wow! A mystery. A magnificence!

http://www.youtube.c....gyX2kc#t=1621s

#213 Antoyne

Antoyne

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

That's awesome and exactly what many of us thought. What a gracious and amazing woman and performer.

#214 SeanM

SeanM

Recurring

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Daoes anyone know if Jeanne was to leave the show for a while after that last episode? How did she know that this was the last scene. It could only be if Kathrine has not been written for for the next few weeks.

#215 ~bl~

~bl~

Long Term Lurker, Occasional Poster

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

They wrote other material for Jeanne after that episode, but she wasn't well enough to come in and work.

#216 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

They wrote other material for Jeanne after that episode, but she wasn't well enough to come in and work.

Yes the story was supposed ti finish playing out during sweeps just like during the 40th she was supposed to be the minister at Nictor's wedding but was too sick to tape.

#217 sheilaforever

sheilaforever

Being Restless

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Birdie aka Will Smith's mom on Fresh Prince? I love her.

She was on Fresh Prince? Loved that woman on Y&R...

#218 Elsa

Elsa

Contract

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

RIP Jeanne...

#219 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Wow only on DC could a thread about a statement released regarding JC's passing turn into a bash JFP thread

http://daytimeconfid...f-jeanne-cooper

#220 y&r_fan

y&r_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Wow only on DC could a thread about a statement released regarding JC's passing turn into a bash JFP thread
http://daytimeconfid...f-jeanne-cooper

I saw that. Serious eye roll material. I mean, JFP had known Jeanne for 5 minutes. How long of a statement were those people expecting?

This thread almost turned into a JFP hate thread too. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users