OLTL: Wednesday, May 8 Discussion

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew I recognized the name, but don't remember anything about them.

Great episode. I realized why for AMC and OLTL, while I mostly like the quicker pacing, it sometimes feels off--and I know people have mentioned this before. I think it's due to the fact they'll have some scenes cut and then cut back to the same conversation while meanwhile the scenes inbetween will have characters meaterialize in other parts of town--if that makes sense.

Matthew seems to kinda catch on but Jeffrey really seems clueless--I guess he hasn't seen Dani in sometime, but doesn't he see how high adn/or strung out she is always acting?

• Members

I think Jeffrey is more worldly and more laid back. But I also think it's mostly been a pen pal thing for them since the Warwick Academy.

Sophia was a schemer who worked at Crossroads with Ben Davidson as a waitress. She developed a thing for Joey and went after Kelly, particularly after discovering Kelly had fallen for Kevin behind Joey's back. She eventually became close to Dorian, a quasi-protege, and looked uncannily like a young Robin Strasser. When Dorian left town, Sophia joined the police academy and fell for Antonio, but they couldn't quite consummate the attraction, IIRC; he was busy screwing around with Roseanne most of that time. She was injured in the line of duty and left town to recover. Her brother, Freddie, was some sort of ne'er-do-well, IIRC, and got her in trouble at some point. I think he may have been killed as part of a story.

I always liked Sophia, and Charissa Chamorro, who played her. I thought it was a huge mistake for Gary Tomlin to write her out.

• Members

Sophia was a waitress at Crossroads, who told Dorian about Ben and Viki. Ben was trying to escape from the mob at that point. She lived with Dorian for awhile and had a crush on Joe. Freddy was her brother and always getting into trouble.

• Members

Yes, Sophia was all JFP. As soon as Gary arrived he iced her.

IIRC, Sophia was crippled when the cops swarmed a location on the docks where they discovered Colin McIver's corpse - or someone's corpse, anyway. Something. I dunno. Anyway, a huge box or something fell on her - I could've sworn it was a container housing Colin's body, on ice - and that was it. She left town to recover. We got word a few months later that she was walking again.

• Members

I really liked her and was so annoyed when she was abruptly written out. She was a super background character at first who was given more and more to do slowly- I miss when soaps used to do that. I remember feeling bad for her with her unrequited crush on Joey and she had chemistry with Antonio when I still cared about him. I never understood how he ignored her for that vapid Roseanne. And I forgot that she was a Dorian protege but that was good stuff too.

• Members

Good show today. Even better that tomorrow's show will be here so soon.

I find it so interesting that now, finally, Todd is the target and Victor the aggressor. I also think it's right. This is something RC and FV waffled on - they couldn't find a stand to take on the characters, but I think it works here, because it is a classic thriller setup. Victor is the man back from the dead, everyone loves him, he's getting along with everyone and he is trying to kill his brother. Todd at his best is very intelligent and could scheme with anyone, but of the two of the "Todds" I always felt Todd was the exposed nerve, very emotional and passionate, while Victor, particularly in later years, grew far more internal, remote and calculating, cold. This storyline suits that take - Victor puts a placid face across to the world while slowly killing Todd. I don't know if he is smarter than Todd, but he is far more subdued and conniving, and always has been. I wish they'd make more of his intellect, whether he was autistic or whatever, and explore who this person really is. It's early days, of course, but we have never gotten a chance to explore what actually makes Victor as Victor tick. Then again, who's to say he knows?

The Clint and Matthew scene was incredible. Jerry ver Dorn killed that and I loved Matthew just saying "yes, sir." The silence and ambient noise - the birds - also drove it home.

The Viki stuff, with Jeffrey, Clint, etc. Great, adult. Both for her and for Jeffrey - I know the struggle of the freelancer all too well, and I don't mean a soap blogger. Loved the kids and the apartment as well.

Andrew has improved! I'm so proud. And I loved Dorian taking the wig off.

Des and Nat were nice together. I wish we'd gotten more. There's still a lot of place-setting going on within the show, but I do hope that when that's done they'll allow some longer scenes, like what we got with Viki and Clint, or with the kids, or Clint and Matthew, etc.

Archived