NY Times rips All My Children & One Life to Live reboots

• Members

Review was harsh and biased but I'm glad somebody said it. I got tired of the soap community acting like the reboots are some super amazing shows. They ain't! I think a lot of fans are just so happy AMC and OLTL are back that they are giving these shows way too much credit. OLTL is better than AMC but neither are anywhere near as good as they use to be.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC comes off tired and wheezy to this girl. That show ran out of steam almost 10 years ago and so far the reboot isn't showing me any signs of new life! OLTL is better though. It different but it has potential.

• Members

I have not read the article but I will. I'm just not sure why anyone is not allowed to dislike the reboots and are wrong for not jumping over the moon because 2 dead soaps have been resurrected? I'm seriously at a loss. Not everyone mourned the loss of the cancelled soaps.

As for the reboots, AMC lost me in one eppy because it seemed like a Disney show with a few of the old AMC faces. I didn't care for it at all and I'm not the least bit curious. OLTL reminds me more of an old ABC soap, but I just don't like that show at all or any of the characters. I have not loved it in years.

I guess I'm a terrible person. Oh well!

Thank you! There was way too much fuss that didn't take very long to die down.

• Members

There are definitely things to critique, like anything else. But then there's going in with a preexisting attitude and bias, which is the case for some fans both on boards and on Facebook, the blogs, etc. I just can't take seriously people who spent weeks if not months prior to launch publicly ranting and raving about how bad they knew these shows would be, and how much they actually, literally personally "hated" them as though they were live people they knew in waking life as opposed to, you know, material things they watch on a TV or computer. I did see that somewhere else; it was pathetic. Get a grip.

For people like that there was never going to ever be anything to satisfy them. They decided long before they clicked on the first episodes that they were going to be bad, because so much of their personal identity and investment was wrapped up in the shows being bad. And they got what they needed on an emotional level, because they decided they were going to no matter what. It's an emotional and psychological thing I will never understand, but it bores me to tears.

• Members

The thing about the article is nobody really should have to need history to see if a show is good or not. Some people just dont like soaps and I get that I do! But if you tuned in to that opening episode of AMC with no history or love would you really think it was a good episode?

• Members

Or, people just didn't like it and that's the bottom line. No one needs to be analyzed because they didn't welcome the reboots into their bosom. It happens with a lot of shows. When I watched Grimm for the first time, I was over the moon (that has since changed), but my friend said, "girl, how can you watch that sh!t). It's a matter of taste, plain and simple. The reboots don't fit my taste! Many feel this way, but its some big psycological thing? Yeah ok!

• Members

I read SON and thougth I'd check AMC out. It was not AMC, IMHO. I watched 1/2 of OLTL and didn't care to see more.

It's not about if that person who wrote the article likes soaps. The person just didn't care for these 2 particular soaps.

• Members

And that's fine, if they watched and actually gave it a fair shot. But when some people - you included - spent weeks talking about how bad they were going to suck and then tuned in for a fraction of the first episode and promptly declared your verdict sealed in concrete, why is anyone supposed to believe you went in with an open mind, take you seriously and not dismiss you just as you preemptively dismissed the shows? People dismiss me because I went in with a chip on my shoulder about, say, The Matrix, and they have a right to do that, because I made my feelings clear long before I saw that movie.

That being said, when we get to the bone-deep, seething hate from some other strange people elsewhere, yes, that's a different story and yes, I think it is a weird psychoanalytical thing I will never understand.

And the article is a whole different thing. Okay, you both happen to dislike the shows - great. That doesn't change the fact that the article was a lazy, vapid retread of every mainstream article I've read about soaps since before O.J. It wasn't worth mentioning. It doesn't suddenly gain credence whether or not one of us agrees with a sentiment, as though any old statement, no matter how stupid, can 'back us up.' Just because I like the same show allmc does doesn't mean I want to be within a hundred miles of him.

• Members

I did spend weeks and months saying that I would not watch. Then I realized, it's a whole new set up with different writers and EPs, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't like them! It's not that I psyched myself out to dislike them. I just don't like them.

They will not last!

• Members

I don't think he's the devil. I think it's a just a lame, tossed-off article by a lazy writer in an increasingly lazy paper that people are blowing way out of proportion and above its station for drama on soap boards.

• Members

And U can tell that after 10 mins of each first episode. Give it up man. U went in hating on it & never give it a chance. Whatever that is fine. Just own it. Dont back pedal now.

Archived