Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Members

I hate when a family name is passed on improperly..

Most recent example: AMC

Adam Chandler

Adam Chandler Jr. Aka JR

Little A/AJ? Unless the J means something I don't know.

OLTL:

Victor Lord

Victor Lord Jr.

V3 or Baby Victor Lord Jr.

B&B

I'm just assuming every male Spencer is named William.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This happens across the board but it's more pronounced on soaps:

Women waking up in their hospital bed in full makeup, flawless hair.

I get it that you're on TV, but relax! :lol:

I love it when MTS goes bare in hospital scenes.

• Members

I hate when people refer to Bianca's daughter as MiMo. Her name is MIRANDA. She's a person; not a dog. People thought it was cute to combine Miranda and Mona together to get it but it wasn't cute; it was stupid. It looks silly to see her grown up and still referred to as that.

• Members

YES!! And IIRC, they used the "Mimo" name onscreen once or twice tops before she was even born, and they never ever uttered it again on the show, ever, but people have been calling her that online ever since.

Another pet peeve. Long-term characters who were on a soap at different times who are suddenly onscreen together and are "friends." On AMC, Livia was in Pine Valley in the early 90s before leaving town. Ryan came to PV after she was gone, then he was out of town when Livia returned in '03. He came back to town shortly after, and I swear I heard Livia refer to him as "a friend of mine." THEY'D NEVER EVEN MET OR SHARED A SCENE TOGETHER!!

I believe they did the same thing when Angie came back and had her referring to Krystal as her friend even though we never saw this alleged friendship.

• Members

Angie and Krystal's friendship developed onscreen after Angie came back. Their first scene togehter was them meeting for the first time. I dont beleive the show acted like they knew each other before.

This was done on GH last year with Anna and Luke being referred to as old friends. By the time Anna joined GH in 1985, Luke was long gone and didnt return to town till 1994, 3 years after Anna was killed off. She then resurfaced on AMC and didnt appear on GH again till 2006 where she made a few brief appearances. She and Luke only met after that and they were barely acquantinces but the dialogue made it appear as if they had gone way back as if both were around in the 80s as "old friends". Drove many people crazy

• Members

One thing that OLTL used to do, and the new AMC did it in its first episode. Having teenagers doing things and going places before school. I don't know what time the high school day starts in Pennsylvania, but there was no way in hell I was getting up, visiting people, having coherent conversations, completing basic tasks, etc. before going to school when I was that age. I woke up at the last possible minute, rushed to get showered and dressed, and made it outside just in time to catch the bus or get a ride from one of my friends. Yet you'd have Starr Manning coming in from a brisk walk around La Boulaie and forty-five minutes into the show rushing Jack to get ready so that they could go to school. In the middle of June, mind you.

• Members

Getting simple things about school wrong irks me too.

In high school the prom is for juniors and seniors and you can only go as a freshman or sophomore if you are going with a junior or senior. I heard on GH Molly's talking about going to the prom . She's not old enough to be a junior or senior.

And I remember last year at the end of May Kristina's family was freaking out because they called her dorm at college and she wasn't there. I was thinking of course she's not there. The semester is freakin over!

• Members

To me, that's the inverse of David and Jesse's relationship. Jesse was LONG out of Pine Valley when David first showed up. Yet, almost from the moment Jesse returned from the dead and to P.V., he appeared to have this decades-long vendetta against Dr. Hayward. (David might have turned him down for Project Orpheus, who knows.)

Archived