Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Members

Discuss any pet peeves you have in regards to the production of our lovely soaps.

For example, the recent OLTL episode reminded me of my pet peeve regarding paper coffee cups on most shows: They're always empty and you can ALWAYS tell. An empty cup makes a distinctly different sound when handled/put down than when it has liquid in it. Small, but that's what a pet peeve is laugh.png I just don't get why they won't at least put some water in it or cotton or whatever. Or edit the sound. Or instruct the actors to not flail their hands around. tongue.png

Also, doors that don't open towards the person opening them laugh.png In all my life I have yet to come across a door like that, but they're everywhere on soaps (especially AMC and OLTL right now).

It can be story wise, but I'm looking for stuff like the above.

Any pet peeves?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG laugh.png I just can't communicate today.

Lemme try again:

House doors that you have to push instead of pull towards you. smile.png See Tea's house. Or AJ's bedroom.

It's awkward when you're answering the door and the person has to step back so as to not get hit by the door. Or you have to reaaaaach out to grab and close it lol Anyway, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Stuff like that is normal in stores but I have never seen it in houses. Except for on shows.

• Members

Two Faces East, I believe is the camera shot term, a classic soap opera look.

I agree about the empty coffee cups. I used to always see/hear this on Y&R at Crimson Lights.

Speaking of coffee, DAYS is using the same device that Guiding Light was using during their cheap 2005-2007 era, where there's a coffee stand in a restaurant so that customers may pour themselves FREE cups of coffee... it's like, what? Why would The Brady Pub or GL's Company have a free coffee stand in their restaurant? This isn't a waiting room at a hospital; it's a restaurant where one should PAY for a cup of coffee. GL's Company even had one outside which was double strange.

• Members

This peeve was prompted by the ATWT clip posted in cancelled soaps.

When a character enters a room talking and is supposedly so preoccupied they don't notice some surprise visitor.

On ATWT, Chris entered the kitchen were Nancy and the presumed dead Joyce were in full view,but he was so busy 'chatting' that he was seemingly blinded to their presence. Then follows the double take and stuttering reaction when he notices what anyone else would have seen...

Also, residences of supposedly mega rich characters that have front doors that open to the living area or tiny foyers. And staircases that have about 5 steps.

No one ever has a TV on display in their home.What would be wrong with showing someone watching a show then hitting the remote when the phone rings or someone comes to the door?

• Members

Most houses here have two doors, and the outer door opens out, and the innter door opens in. When someone is at my door they have to step back or to the side for me to open to screen door, but soaps dont seem to have screen doors so i get what you are saying

• Members

that's not exactly true. I know for sure OLTL used to always have characters watch that Christina movie around Christmas (which was brought over to GH). AMC's Jake and Amanda would watch telenovelas together

I HATE when people have private conversations in public areas. Like someone is talking loudly about their deepest darkest secret right in the middle of a hospital or restaurant as if no one is going to hear them. Of course no one does which is another peeve of mine

• Members

Agree about the conversations.

Yet, when it suits the plot, someone nearby will be able to hear the conversation.

Also,can I comment on the use of extras. In a hospital or restaurant,the same 5 people will be moving around constantly.It can be quite distracting.

In real life, a hospital can be fairly quiet with just the occasional person passing by...

Archived