Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That one took me back to the days when Johnny Mathis & Patti Austin and Lee Greenwood & Rita Coolidge would turn up in Oakdale to sing at places like the Cellar or Mona Lisa's. Damn, but that show could be so bougie sometimes.

• Members

The one on my landline constantly dies with the battery so I dont even look anymore.

I hateyoung children who mouth off to adults all the time or are always in grown folks business. It's not cute or precocious it's bratty and annoying and the same ones who call it cute later bitch about it when the child is a SORASed teen doing the same thing.

• Members

Here are two things that irk me, one specific to Ron Carlivati's "stories," the other about soaps in general:

1) People sitting and reacting to something on television is NOT DRAMA.

2) Close-ups of laptop, tablet and smart-phone screens are dull, dull, dull.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I absolutely cannot stand it when you have a popular couple who gets their happy ending and leaves the show and then later one of the parts is recast and the couple is split up so one-half can come back without their other half.

I mean, I get it if one of the original actors (or the latest who got that happy ending) wants to come back and the other doesn't, that doesn't bug me.

But I HATED it when Guiding Light first brought back Alan-Michael as a recast WITHOUT Lucy and then brought Dylan back as a recast WITHOUT Bridget, and what did the show gain from that? Nothing. Neither recast was welcomed or accepted and LAM and Dylan/Bridget (whose fans had already been screwed once) were destroyed for nothing.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

• Members

On the last week of Guiding Light when we saw Dylan and Bridget again on screen I took it as they were getting back together. While on paper I get why they would want to bring the character of Alan-Michael back because he was extremely important the material just wasn't good at all as the pairings they gave him were ridiculous. That was a waste. I prefer when they let characters have happy endings or let them visit...

• Members

I know what happened in the last week, but it wouldn't have been necessary if someone hadn't had the WTF idea of bringing in the Angel Kid from Port Charles to play Dylan. What a terrible recast. Dylan and Bridget should have been celebrating about a decade of marriage together when they came back for Vanilly's wedding.

At least Dempsey looked like Alan-Michael and even had a few "Spaulding moments," though "Spaulding moments" at that time seemed to be near-irredeemable villainy and that was NEVER the Spauldings, except maybe that old donkey's ass Brandon.

• Members

The thing that was frustrating about when they brought in Brian Gaskill is they asked Morgan Englund first and he said no because of the amount of work GL had planned for the character of Dylan on GL as it was way too much of a commitment. Then when Gaskill was brought in he worked in so few episodes, that it made no sense. It was ludicrous that they even had Dylan and Bridget break up as they could have had him just come (even in the guise of a recast) as someone visiting his daughter. I know you know what happened the lat week Katie, just saying that at least they got a happy ending unlike Lucy and Alan-Michael. AM was written as the evil, and that was annoying for many reasons.

• Members

Since no one heard from either Alan-Michael or Lucy, I like to think they got back together once Alan-Michael worked through his family issues regarding Phillip's "death" and the fact that he would have believed that Alan mourned more for Phillip than he would have for his own biological son.

We didn't hear that LAM AREN'T together, so I think they are.

Bridget/Dylan greeted each other as people who most likely hadn't seen each other for a little while.

Archived