AMC: Monday, May 6th Discussion

• Members

Oh, dear. This is all I'll say on the matter since people seem to be having trouble understanding Miranda's point of view.

When you, as a straight 16 year old girl, are subjected to public humiliation and unwanted advances from an 18 year old "switch hitter" and have been duped into it by a boy you thought was into you for you... ALL BASED ON "HEY, YOUR MOM'S INTO CHICKS SO WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE INTO CHICKS TOO!" -- how is her mother's sexuality none of Miranda's business when her peers are using it against her?

Enlighten me, please. :)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never wanted Miranda to be like her mother's mother. Nor did I want her to be like Bianca. Miranda is a girl who has had to grow up in the shadows of two extraordinary women: one, a world-reknowned model and cosmetics magnate whose many marriages make Zsa Zsa and Liz Taylor look virginal, who has battled both drug addiction and severe sexual trauma, and who has had more maladies and misadventures and public ordeals than I could enumerate; and the other, a lesbian rape victim who went through hell in order to get her baby back after she was taken from her at birth. (Let's not forget, too, Miranda lives in Pine Valley, a town where there is a shelter for abused women named in her honor.) If I were Miranda, I would not want to be thought of as "different" or "special." I would want to be "normal," living a quiet and stable life.

• Members

OH MY GOD! THAT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME!!!

If I knew that hookers and rape victims and beaten wives would go to the R Sinclair Shelter... when I was 16 and trying to fit in... I don't even begin to know how that would make me feel. I was a terror back when I was 16 because all I did was try to fit in and not have to accept the fact that I was gay. The last thing I need is my name attributed to a center for hookers and rape victims!

Yeah... to the earlier mentioned point, I would find it weird that Miranda didn't know she was a "product of rape" considering how the Kane Women celebrate their "Legacy of Rape." ESPECIALLY since Miranda's mother's mother was raped at 14, I would think that they would try to safeguard her as much as possible. The fanfic person that I'm ashamed to admit lives in a locked cage with in me wants to think that, in order to prevent Miranda from ever being treated like her mother and her grandmother, she'd be told that No means No and use their own lives as an example. If I find out that the show didn't even do that with this character, that will be my first and BIG cry of failure on this headwriter's part.

• Members

I don't know whether you were being sarcastic, R, but God love you and your wonderful way with words. smile.png

It is unfortunate that Bianca and Miranda have to live side-by-side with such ignorant douche bags as Hunter. However, at the end of the day, Bianca does not and should not answer to her daughter for anything. Besides, it isn't as if Bianca is rubbing her sexuality in front of everyone's faces. She is not strident or militant about her sexuality, nor is she someone who will flirt with any woman, regardless of whether they are gay as well or not. If anything, Bianca can be TOO conservative at times about the issue. Miranda, IMO, has learned a very painful lesson about life -- namely, that the world will not be sympathetic to your pain just because your mom happens to dig chicks more than dudes, and that she should consider herself lucky to have people in her life who CAN look past the issue -- and now she needs to just deal.

• Members

Can you imagine how it must have been for Amanda Dillon growing up? That girl had to grow up with people knowing her mother was a convicted murderer who once stole another woman's identity. Seems to me Miranda living with a lesbian mother and Erica Kane for a...mother's mother is a cakewalk by comparison.

• Members

Bianca isn't responsible for other people's children being jerks. I don't thin it takes away from the fact that it must be difficult for Miranda, but I really don't see how that gives her a right to blame her mother.

Anyway, it's good teenager drama so blame away Mimo. I hope next episode she throws in a "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" Kelly Kapowski style.

• Members

True. And she had janet, Nat and Laurel as mother before she was like 7. Didn't she end up in the well trying to see where Janet had stashed Nat? I loved the little girl who played Amanda- I was so sad we didn't see her grow up onscreen.

I wish the Miranda issues stemmed more from being the child of rape rather than Bianca's sexuality.

• Members

Are you guys really trying to act like it's impossible to understand how a 16 year old girl being subjected to humiliation for her mother's sexual orientation could lash out at... wait for it... her mother? In Miranda's YOUNG mind, if Bianca just kept her sexual orientation on the low none of this would've happened. Miranda, whether you want to admit it or not, is the innocent in this. She believed a dude she had a crush on liked her. He was deceptive. He liked her only because he assumed she'd be into what her mother likes. Is her outburst on Bianca rational? No! Bianca had no clue any of this was going on. But was Bianca a factor? YES! HUNTER SAID AS MUCH! So what is Bianca supposed to do? She was humiliated, indirectly, because of her mother's sexual orientation!

Now, should she have cursed and yelled at her? Morally and ideally, no. Bianca wasn't to blame. But is she justified in her anger at the fact that something she has nothing to do with, such as her mother's sexual orientation, was used against her? Yes! It's a delicate balance. Miranda doesn't care about Bianca's sexual orientation. She just feels that with Bianca being out and proud it works against her own life. That's a valid concern.

I had the opposite. My father went around telling everyone he knew that I was gay. I told him to calm it down! I don't know these people you're telling my personal business too. He felt that "well, I'm your father! You're my son! Don't I have a right to -- " and I said, no! You going around broadcasting this information to people that I don't know affects their perception of me. I'd like the ABILITY to get people to know me for me... and not because YOU decided that you're ok with sharing with the world that you're fine with having a gay son.

• Members

"i believe when David grabbed the gun it went off killing Marissa and David's finger accidently pulled that trigger."

John, I wish that was true, but it was very clearly shown in the third episode that after the gun fired wildly, killing Marissa, David expressed his rage and grief by blowing away JR. He said afterward the only regret he had was not being a better shot! Although JR fully intended to kill both Bianca and Marissa and disappear with AJ, with an alibi and flight all planned, now nothing will legally happen to him IMO, thus jumpstarting David The Toxic Revenger!

(Quote Post isn't working for me, again!) sad.png

• Members

Well, I am not saying she shouldn't be upset about it. Obviously she should be upset and disappointed, but did she lash out at Hunter or Mustang-Sally, no. She lashed out at a completely unaware Bianca with some rambling speech about why couldn't she just be less gay so that eveyone at school would like Miranda better. I get that their are teens who would do the same (I wasn't one of them but I knew a few.)

As far as I know, Bianca isn't going around broadcasting to everyone "Hey, in case you didn't already know I am Miranda Montgomery's gay mom."

I get what you're saying R, but I actually think we agree and are going back and forth for no reason or because of some opposition to the use of the word bratty.

Well, though I understand her frustration, I still say her behavior was bratty. She got upset at the wrong person (typical of most teenagers), I don't like her any less for it, but I am hoping at some point she realizes Hunter is the one to unleash her Kane venom on, not her unsuspecting mother.

• Members

I agree that Bianca does not owe Miranda an explanations for who she is and who she loves, but I can competley understand Miranda's pain. She is growing up in a conservative town, on the PA Main Line, a world of old families and even older money. This is not NYC or Los Angeles, where there is a large gay population. I can completly see Miranda being ostrecized for her mother.

I mean, I was embarrassed of my mother at Miranda's age just for wearing an embarassing outfit to school. If my mother were on of the few gay people in town? And something of a celebrity (like a daughter of Erica Kane would be)? I would have walked around with my self-depricating head down staring at the sidewalk.

I hope Eden sticks around long enough to play all the beats of this storyline.

I agree that Bianca does not owe Miranda an explanations for who she is and who she loves, but I can competley understand Miranda's pain. She is growing up in a conservative town, on the PA Main Line, a world of old families and even older money. This is not NYC or Los Angeles, where there is a large gay population. I can completly see Miranda being ostrecized for her mother.

I mean, I was embarrassed of my mother at Miranda's age just for wearing an embarassing outfit to school. If my mother were on of the few gay people in town? And something of a celebrity (like a daughter of Erica Kane would be)? I would have walked around with my self-depricating head down staring at the sidewalk.

I hope Eden sticks around long enough to play all the beats of this storyline.

Archived