Watching on Hulu/iTunes reactions

• Members

That article was ridiculous. The writer lost credibility when he said new viewers didn't watch the original incarnation of the shows because they had jobs. Has that idiot never heard of Betamax, VHS, or DVR?

Anyway, I don't mind watching the soaps on HULU because I can watch them on my TV. I don't enjoy watching shows on my computer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they could've definitely done more to set these shows up for new viewers. That was always a complaint of mine, but I think AMC plays more like a new show with lots of secrets being slowly unraveled. But with OLTL, it's definitely very fast paced and jumping right in where they left off. As for how it is watching on Hulu, I find it so much more convenient. We can watch it whenever and without a hassle. Between VHS, YouTube, DVR and torrents I haven't watched on TV in ages. I don't miss the shitload of commercials either.

• Members

I haven't read the article but if there is a comments section someone should reply 'Hey author, have you never heard of a VCR?! Oh, I'm guessing your so called hard-working backside couldn't afford one!'

In case nobody's notice, I have a bit of a smart mouth sometimes.tongue.png

• Members

Emily Nussbaum had a great rebuttal to that review. It seems particularly inane since Martin's books actually have an unusually large female fanbase.

I wrote about the NYTimes article elsewhere, but while I think it's fair to review it as a newbie, I don't think he gets that a lot of soap fans enjoy jumping into a soap and trying to figure out who people are, etc--they don't want it all spelled out. As a format, soaps (except for those rare ones people view from day one) exist differently than even the primetime soaps he mentions--Perhaps it's an acquired taste, but you don't expect character motivation and relationships to be spelled out in the first episode you watch.

• Members

I got that too. And, I ended up watching without commercials. It's happened to me before when watching WKRP in Cincinnati on Hulu too. So, I'm glad they throw that up there as an option for ad free watching. If anyone else ever has that pop up. Play the trivia. No ads. Remember that.

Watching AMC/OLTL on Hulu is just like watching old sitcoms on my computer which I do all the time.

• Members

I've never watched Hulu until my soaps aired last week. I've been watching on an almost new 27" iMac and the resolution is unbelievable. Later this month we're putting a new 60" smart TV in the family room that has internet access, so I'll have quite a choice then.

• Members

Can anyone tell me about using the Roku to watch Hulu on your television? I saw on the Soaps on Hulu twitter that they are offering six months of HuluPlus and a Roku for $80. Sounds like a really good deal but not if the device is crap. Any help would be appreciated!

• Members

I just got a Roku for my bedroom tv a few days ago. I'm not using it specifically to watch the soaps (as I have an HDMI cable to attach to the living room tv) but I may or may not get Hulu Plus down the road if I feel like getting my hands on that library. Anyway...there are several different Rokus available. The ones I saw on Amazon ranged from about $50-$100. I actually ended up going with the cheapest model, the Roku LT, mainly because, in my bedroom, I still have an old CRT television so I didn't need the bells and whistles that go along with viewing on a new tv (HD, etc.).

Re that deal: 6 months of HP would be worth $47.94 plus the cost of whichever Roku model they're offering. The Roku pays for itself in terms of you get access to a lot of movies and shows. Some is free, some is fee-based. So far, I haven't subscribed to anything and have just been exploring the free stuff (check out roku.com if you want to see their channel offerings). The device is easy to install and seems to work fine. I did get stuck on one movie yesterday that I couldn't seem to click my way out of so I ended up pulling the plug and putting it back in just to clear that but otherwise, it's been okay. The only thing with the free stuff I've been watching (which you may not experience with a paid service like Hulu Plus) is there are lots of commercial interruptions, literally like every 5 minutes and right in the middle of scenes. They must be on a timer or something because I'll be watching a movie, the ad cuts right into the middle of a scene and then it resumes back at the moment. Anyway, as I mentioned the Roku pays for itself and you do get quite a bit out of it, so the only question would be if you want to continue paying the $7.99 monthly fee for Hulu Plus after the 6 months.

• Members

Revenge is so well-written that ABC just dumped the showrunner.

closedeyes.jpg My automatic reaction whenever I see this excuse. At least there was no mention of OJ.

NYT is mostly about chic and elitism, which is why they kept slobbering over The Sopranos 4 or 5 years after everyone involved stopped caring. To be honest I have some doubts myself, but the way this is worded still puts me off.

Archived