Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Soapnet

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Max

Max

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I have some questions about the current operations of Soapnet:

1. Why does it still exist? (I know that soap ratings have modestly recovered, but what happened to the plan to turn it into Disney Junior?)

2. Which party--PP, Disney, or Hulu--is responsible for not allowing repeats of current episodes of AMC and OLTL to air on Soapnet?

#2 John

John

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

PP cant put the show on TV til at least September. Thats part of the agreement with ABC

SoapNet is run by who ever oversees ABC Family

#3 Wizzerkat

Wizzerkat

Contract

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

On DirecTV, Soapnet is still on and they added Disney Jr. So I guess it depends on that TV service you have whether they replaced Soapnet with Disney Jr or what.

#4 All My Shadows

All My Shadows

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 12,402 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

I don't have it anymore, but our expanded cable package has both SOAPnet and Disney Jr.

#5 Tracy J

Tracy J

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Time Warner Cable still carries Soapnet.

#6 QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Recurring

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

PP cant put the show on TV til at least September. Thats part of the agreement with ABC

So that's why Soapnet was pushing The Lying Game and other ABC Fanm shows so hard with those marathons for no reason!

Soapnet is loosing Y&R soon which is it's highest rated program

#7 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

i didn't even know there was an option to put it on TV. Wonder if any American networks would want to air them

#8 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Why do they need to be on Soapnet when you can view them anytime you want on Hulu?  Is that not the case? 

#9 Golden Duck

Golden Duck

ENJOY THE STRIP SEARCH, RON!

• Members
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Direct TV still carries Soapnet. I just watch the old GH reruns on there sometime. And, I love it when they have the GH marathons. (80s/90s..the good stuff)

#10 applcin

applcin

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Time Warner Cable still carries Soapnet.

And it put Disney, Jr on another station.

#11 ellabelle

ellabelle

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

The only reason to put AMC/OLTL on SoapNet is to appease the elderly viewers who refuse to use computers.

#12 applcin

applcin

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Why do they need to be on Soapnet when you can view them anytime you want on Hulu?  Is that not the case? 

If you judge by some of the posters on FB:

1) They want the show back in exactly the same state it was when it went off: on tv, preferably ABC, same cast, no time lapse and no cuss words.

2) Some have never heard of/used Hulu, iTunes, etc. The whole free Hulu vs Hulu Plus thing is still confusing to some. It's not just the folks who are using tablets, phones, etc...it's the folks on computers who see the Hulu Plus message and assume there is no permanently free Hulu option. Some people need really big signs spelling things out to them, and even then, they don't always get it.

3) Some don't like the idea of sitting in front of a computer to watch shows. Forget about trying to explain about HDMI cables or whatnot streaming internet to your tv, assuming their equipment is even up-to-date enough for that to be an option.

Finding out the soaps have "returned" has, I think, brought a lot of people to an aspect of the internet they were not familiar with before, or has brought them to the internet, period. Some are adapting, others not so much.

#13 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

that same argument could be made for most shows on the air as most are on the internet

Edited by Cheap21, 02 May 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#14 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

that same argument could be made for most shows on the air as most are on the internent

But we are not talking about something that already exists/in place.  We are talking about fans asking for something that the networks didn't believe was a necessity any longer and won't accept the substitute. 

#15 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

But we are not talking about something that already exists/in place.  We are talking about fans asking for something that the networks didn't believe was a necessity any longer and won't accept the substitute. 

I don't see the issue with wanting these on tv. Arrested Development was cancelled years ago but is getting a revival set to debut on Netflix very soon. I still wish that was being aired on TV

#16 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't see the issue with wanting these on tv. Arrested Development was cancelled years ago but is getting a revival set to debut on Netflix very soon. I still wish that was being aired on TV

There's nothing wrong with wanting at all.  I'm not moving to predominantly internet viewing until I absolutely have to.  I'm just saying that the shows were removed from TV and the option is internet. 

#17 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,692 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

I still have soapnet, and love it.

Watch 90210 and Veronica Mars all the time. 

#18 Max

Max

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

I thought the original plan was to replace Soapnet with Disney Junior, circa January 2012. I was unaware that Disney Junior was able to be launched while sparing Soapnet.

The only reason to put AMC/OLTL on SoapNet is to appease the elderly viewers who refuse to use computers.

That's certainly a good reason to put them on Soapnet. But, it seems as if the main point of the network (originally) was to air same day repeats of soaps, so re-airing AMC/OLTL goes along with that purpose. I wasn't aware that the PP/ABC contract prohibits these shows from going on television until September. Even then, however, I could totally see Hulu trying to block both shows from being seen on Soapnet.

Edited by Max, 03 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#19 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

The "not till September" contract is actually with Hulu not with ABC.

#20 Max

Max

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

The "not till September" contract is actually with Hulu not with ABC.

That makes sense, because Hulu is the party that will suffer most if AMC/OLTL are shown on TV. Thank you for the correction.

Edited by Max, 03 May 2013 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users