OLTL: Thursday, May 02, 2013 Episode Discussion Thread

• Members

All in all, I love the new OLTL so far.

I hope they know where they're going, especially with the Viki/Dorian/CIA stuff, which could actually be really interesting and timely...or really campy and, what's more, completely illogical from a plotting perspective. The fact that the two Todds are clearly involved makes me fear the latter. I also worry that this was initially going to be kind of a hybrid of SBH's penchant for Gottlieb/Malone-inspired social issues storytelling (from what I've seen of YouTube, I think she actually pulled it off better than Gottlieb, with Viki's DID story, and perhaps more importantly, she did a better job of integrating it into the soap opera structure) and TR's history of '80s spy stories. Once TR's flying solo, I hope it doesn't devolve into the worst of GH/DOOL "adventure" stories, with the role of Stefano Dimera/Helena Cassadine being played by that dreadful reincarnation of Irene Manning. For now, though, I'm just enjoying Dorian and Viki butt heads over something remotely realistic, and the Jeffrey character is a delight.

I love Rama and Vimal so far. I missed most of their time on ABC, and maybe that's for the best, because I just see them as a loving couple trying to make sense of complicated sexual desires like intelligent adults.

I still can't believe I'm watching OLTL again, but it's wonderful.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good to know. To be fair, my only day-to-day exposure to his writing I had was the '80s Another World reruns on SoapNet; but I know that he was writing in collaboration with Margaret DePriest, who isn't the most beloved soap writer, and NBC at that time was probably a test run for the network meddling that would become pervasive at all three networks within the next decade. I actually really like what I've seen/read of TR in interviews since his OLTL gig came about. I do hope he does well.

• Members

I think so far it's at least on even footing with Carlivati's earliest material, which also showed promise, but I'm reluctant to make any judgments based on four episodes. Long-term lack of impact (especially some of the most interesting and groundbreaking new characters being erased from the canvas overnight) was the biggest disappointment for me, ultimately, with the last regime.

Also, given what OLTL ultimately devolved into in its last years on TV - whoever was to blame - I don't know that it's even a useful comparison. For this venture to be a success, this team has to be aiming for more than just being better than the final ABC years.

• Members

I hope the writers reveal something important about Jeffrey cause of right now he starting to irk me

he on every dang day .I think the actor is very good ,and nice to look at

but why should I care about Jeffery?.I am looking forward to see if Destiny &Jeffery click that about it.

Archived