What Political Ideology/Affiliation Would Your Soap Character Have?

• Members

Right around Edward Quartermaine's death on GH, he'd been written to have donated a significant part of his estate to PBS. With that reveal, some viewers presumed that he'd voted for Obama and while I didn't agree (much as I love Edward, I can't at all see him as any kind of Democrat), I thought it made for an interesting topic.

So, judging by what you know of any soap character's personality/actions, what would you guess his or her political affiliation/ideology would be? Would they be a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, staunch conservative, uncompromisingly independent, or anything else?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The PBS question is interesting because at the time I thought that was just Carlentini giving us a liberal wink and a nod to an issue which had been in the news recently. Personally, from the way Edward was obsessed with ELQ and having a worthy heir to the company, and the way he was always spinning deals at home, I just assumed he was Republican, for tax reasons.

Obviously Alexis is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal. NLG wouldn't have it any other way!

I think Brenda would have been a small-"d" Democrat voter, mainly because of Robin and having been "in fashion." If Obama is good enough for Anna Wintour... :)

• Members

Speaking of fashion, I could definitely see The Real Kate Howard holding Democratic fundraisers on behalf of Crimson with Clucking Chicken being a frequent guest of honor. Diane would be the fly in their buttermilk as a Republican (and no, it's not because of her portrayer's political affiliation).

I can honestly see Tracy being a registered independent, though I'm not sure if that'd be because of her own views or because she'd want to get Edward's goat while secretly hoping that he'd approve of her marching to her own beat of the political drum.

I know Viki was shown to be (running as) a registered Independent in the mayoral race, but I can't remember if Dorian was the same or a Democrat (I say 'Democrat' because of the obvious parallels that Ron made between her and Hillary). What I do know is that I can't see Nora as being anything other than a Democrat, though Blair and the bipolar banshee could lean towards either Republican or Democrat to me.

• Members

It's funny you should view Diane as Republican, I thought that too, though I had no clue about the actress's political affiliation. And, yes, Kate (especially Megan Ward's Kate) would be all over a glamorous fundraiser for the Dems. Like, say, if Jax ran for state senator (though, again, corporate raider and descended-from-the-aristocracy Jax might be more Tory/Republican on economic issues while being socially liberal).

• Members

I've always thought that Bob Hughes was a Republican and Viki Lord was a Democrat.

Nancy Hughes - Republican

Clint, Bo, & Asa Buchanan - Republican

Kim Hughes - Not Sure

Mac Cory - Not Sure

Rachael Davis - Democrat

Erica Kane - Democrat

Ross Marler - Republican

Jo (SFT) - Democrat

• Members

LOL, I could totally see that. I think Sonny (Kiriakis, not Corinthos! -- though Corinthos most likely too) is definitely a Democrat.

Edward was not purely a business mogul ... I could see him having that secret charitable PBS side, much like his connection to Mary Mae and the Wards. Besides, PBS is not a totally partisan thing. Plenty of Republican families have their kids watch Sesame Street. There are also business things like Nightly Business Report on PBS. Even more selfish rich people would like to feel good about themselves by saying they give money to causes.

• Members

Can't believe that I missed this, but I completely agree with you there (and I'm not just saying it because she is my favorite GH character). Not only would her relationship with Robin (and the late and beloved Stone) would prompt her to vote and support that way, but my girl has been running in the same moneyed fashion circles as The Real Kate Howard.

I based my political affiliation guess of Diane on how she's been 'characterized' over the years, as I honestly can't see her being sympathetic to the same issues that would get Clucking Chicken riled up. As for Jax, I can honestly see him being a PC version of Mayor Bloomberg (registering as Independent, running for office as a Republican, yet being open to working with Democrats on social issues).

Archived