OLTL-Tuesday, April 30th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:P No I did not haha I had no clue!

Ok I will give you that-I thought she was decent in those scenes. However in her first scene when she got out of that chair trying to cop an attitude & talking about the drugs I was instantly cringing. She was channeling her inner Charity Rahmer.

• Members

Harrier was alright. She is green but I like her expressions and her attitude and I think she's capturing Destiny's personality. I quite liked the chemistry in the Matthew/Destiny discussion. I liked the talk as well.

I've always liked Victor/Jack's relationship and bond and I kinda love Todd squirming about it. I want to actually see him fight for his kids like he told Blair. Tea was stellar this episode. Florencia was great. Todd and Blair still definitely have IT. I ate up their scenes. Even if it was in that godawful tacky coffee shop.

Cutter doing damage control was LOL. I love how it all fell apart. Rama <3 I like their friendship.

THANK YOU for having Viki finally involved in family drama again. My god I felt like she never even knew who Todd's children were on ABC. I do kinda lol she just had such a non reaction to Victor. Kinda like "oh here we go again". Which is kinda what I would expect. I really didn't mind the Victor reveal. I would have played it up a bit more and maybe stretched it a bit longer but whatevs. I'm rolling with it. Viki caring more about nailing Dorian didn't bother me either.

Dorian and David were a tad out of place but I love seeing Dorian again so I'm fine with her hysterics. It's Dorian to me. I think she's less cartoony than on Ron's version and David sure is toned down. I like he's not "on" 24/7 like it seemed before. I don't see them being as bad as everyone is saying.

I like they gave Clint a scene with Matthew. I liked Clint being all fatherly towards his nephew and believing he's not on drugs.

Corbin Bleu <3

I love the casting people Prospect Park hired.

Aside from the under-fives and extras and some recurring players, all of the actors they've hired, they're all very charismatic and interesting.

Overall, a very solid second episode.

• Members

Enjoying it a lot. My random thoughts:

- THEY NEED TO STOP CURSING! It's getting annoying and most of it isn't natural. So inappropriate for Jeffrey to curse in front of Victoria fricking Lord. Who would do that?

- nuDestiny was hired for looks, just as I expected. She was the safe choice when casting a young black heroine, not the best choice. It was obvious, but I'm glad to see it's been confirmed by her poor performances.

- Todd in two episodes has been written with more heart and more like Todd than he was in his entire GH run. I'm going to miss him of Roger Howarth leaves or if they have to recast.

- LOVED the scenes with David/Dorian and also Rama/Cutter.

• Members

Great episode! I think Laura Harrier is good. I'm feeling her emotions and expressions, and she doesn't have any problem making her lines sound natural. Loved the conflict between Matthew and Destiny over how Drew is being taken care of or not, and over how Matthew had been involved with drugs.

Love how Jeffrey was made into someone whose fame as a friend of Matthew and Dani's (at boarding school?) preceded him despite actually being new -- "*you're* London Jeffrey?" LOL. Nice writing.

I continue to like the topicality of the CIA rendition/cover-up story because the whole human rights vs national security question is one of the biggest issues we face in the country today. The focus is on the characters, as it should be, but the mere bringing this up is enough to get people thinking. I was interested by Jeffrey looking kind of disappointed on the phone to the senator's office at the end of the episode -- wonder what's going on there.

Why would Victor not reveal himself immediately? He wants to be reunited with the people he loves. I don't think people had non-reactions; it's just we can assume a lot of the reactions were happening off camera. Don't know all the backstory, but love the angst for Todd of Jack being mad at Todd showing up, and Jack hugging Victor glad Victor is alive. Just speculating here but I think maybe also Trevor St. John is not going to be on for good and they need to make the most of what time they have -- similar to how GH has allegedly "rushed" stories for certain vets who came back for limited runs. I would think nothing of the pacing were it not for seeing reactions here though. Also though, I am not seeing why Trevor St. John is such a loved actor yet ... I can't always understand what he's saying.

Loved Cutter doing damage control and Rama with him as well. They should have shown more of their dance since they focused so much on Cutter and Natalie's in the first episode. I also like that it seems Cutter seems serious about wanting to be a good employee for Blair and taking his job seriously (although he did have that sketchy exchange with that guy about not selling drugs to Dani)

*That's* toned-down David? What was he like before if that's toned down? Haha. I like him though.

When did Jeffrey curse in front of Viki? Jeffrey seems like one of the more prim and proper youngsters so far. I honestly don't notice all this cursing much, so I think it's pretty natural still.

• Members

I made gifs of my favorite moments biggrin.png

k12zuq.gif

2z4z5uf.gif

LMAO at Jeffrey wipping out his iPhone

33uwqhw.gif

5bcyg1.gif

ih23n6O.gif

Jack gave Todd the DIRTIEST look

352hnco.gif

Loves them together. Cant wait till Dani and Sam join them. Have I mentioned lately that Im glad dumb bitch Starr is nowhere in sight?

• Members

I'm so relieved. I know it's almost sacrilege to complain about them, but their story is a glaring misfit with the rest of the show. And it seems to be the thread linking everyone together.

And the lack of reaction to Victor's return from the dead makes the dialogue sound even more ridiculous. If you weren't familiar with the backstory you would think they were all joking.

• Members

Okay, this is legitimately good entertainment. Not good for a soap or good for daytime/primetime. The youth scene is what MTV wanted when they poorly remade Skins, the cursing is what would happen in real circumstances and is unforced, and I even liked Matthew (who I hate but that may be more to hating EA and his non-acting and goofy looks) this episode being a real post-HS teen ("Who hasn't tried it? ...but I felt like [!@#$%^&*] the next day...").

It's a good mix of veterans and kids with storylines that still lean on the soap aesthetic but aren't beholden to them. It's more real, and can be far-fetched when it needs to be to ratchet up the drama. Again, I reference Skins (this time the original)--which at its worst was melodramatic and over-the-top but at its best was warming, charming, and a true indication of how awkward it is to become an adult in a world brimming with temptation and expectations.

What I really enjoy is how genuinely complicated and real the Matthew/Destiny dynamic is. Matthew is a kid who has a kid and wants to be young and reckless rather than tie himself down to family and responsibility. Their exchange at the hospital was layered and I give credit to whoever is playing Matthew. Far more complex than EA.

And Tea! Wow! Still good looking.

EDIT: Jeffrey does curse in front of Viki, when she asks about the second source in the hospital. It's quick and natural and if any of you have been around a newsroom (former journalist here) many "prim and proper" (aka professional and well regarded) reporters and investigators are sailors with their language because it's high risk/high reward/high stress. It's not so bad at a local paper but we've always been led to believe The Banner is akin to the Washington Post or NY Times in its level of reporting and though not as big, just as sterling as both. This is Jeffrey's first big chance so the pressure is on.

Archived