AMC - Monday, April 29, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members
Her Days got praise early on as well, but then time went on and her flaws became apparent. Its still way too soon to judge her and say she's a hit on AMC. I think we will have to wait at least a month to see if she has much direction and if her plots aren't as bare and boring as they were on Days

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because DOOL as an organism is biologically incapable of accepting good writing into itself.

There is no way in hell I am using spoiler tags all goddamn day. I say cut them off at either 1 or 2 PM EST - the original opening and ending of the show.

• Members

This makes the most sense to me.

One question: does this mean the "In Production" threads are going to be locked? I feel like from here on out stuff like casting and press should probably go into the spoiler forum, when appropriate, like every other show. JMHO.

• Members

I wasn't watching DAYS yet at the time, but the criticism of McPherson I've seen is that she had bad pacing but good ideas as a general concept. So Errol's comment that more happens on OLTL in the first episode but AMC will be great once it gets going is really not contradicting that so far.

As for whether DAYS can accept good writing into itself, the present team, especially the scriptwriters, is doing great there.

• Members

I do think this venture is much more up Marlene McPherson's alley. If you watch her interview with Errol from when she and DRT were starting at Days you can tell she really wanted to modernize the storytelling ("Let's stop sitting around talking about [how we're going to update these shows] and let's actually do it!"). I don't doubt that she hit a brick wall in NBC/Sony/Corday/whoever in that regard.

Having said that, I'm still concerned her material will be dullsville once the excitement of the show being back wears off. I'm also worried that the Uri/Vlad stuff will end up being as cartoon-y and cringe-worthy as when the DOOL teens were being held captive by the illegal online gambling guys (including Carlos the Fusion handyman!), or that the mystery of Celia's locket will end up being as "make-it-up-as-we-go" as the whole Alice Horton secret bank accounts mess.

It's unfortunate the way things worked out because had PP not been looking into the fi-core writers earlier on they probably would never have come across McPherson.

• Webmaster

What I meant was that AMC lost a lot of its identity in its latter years. McPherson and Snyder have to get people re-invested in AMC from the start. They re-introduce the characters in a way that for new viewers they don't feel like they are being catered to and for old viewers don't feel like they are being given a lesson. It's hard to explain. Whereas with OLTL, they just go BAM! I'd say both soaps are very family oriented, but AMC is more laid back to a point initially while OLTL is all action from the start. Again, hard to explain. Ya'll will be the judge tomorrow.

Archived