Networks refuse to air Prospect Park ads

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there really such a thing as competition in an era of on-demand viewing? It isn't as if AMC and OLTL will air opposite any shows on the Big Five. You could watch them and watch whatever you want on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Chances are, too, you're not suddenly going to think, "Gee, why should I watch 'Revenge,' when AMC is back?". You'll probably find a way to watch both, if so inclined. I'm sorry for being so ignorant, but...I don't get it.

• Members

Perhaps. Or maybe they're afraid viewers will look at the "new," "edgier" AMC and OLTL, compare, and then tune out of Y&R/B&B/DAYS/GH because they're not as bold? But, wait, that would be admitting the nets put out inferior product, and we know no network's gonna do that. ;)

• Members

On demand or over the air, shows in the same genre will have some level of competition. Showing ads for the online soaps has the potential to draw in viewers who only switched to another soap to replaced their preferred soap that was canceled. Those sort of soft viewers could drop off and return to their preferred soap, especially if it's in a more time-friendly, condensed format.

• Members

Good point. On the other hand, if the other soaps had done their jobs correctly, those same viewers either decide not to go back, or they juggle their sked around to fit in both soaps (like, for instance, Y&R during the week, and AMC marathon on the weekends). If viewers choose to leave the newer soap in order to return to AMC and/or OLTL, then either the other soap is that awful, or they were likely to leave no matter the circumstances.

• Members

I understand CBS and NBC not running the ads during their soaps, but I don't understand ABC not doing it. They only benefit from AMC and OLTL's success. If they believe it's going to bleed off transplanted viewers who've clung to GH...and GH would have to have some astronomical numbers for me to believe that...they would be better off improving GH versus figuratively "hiding" AMC/OLTL from their audience.

• Members

I completely understand why CBS and NBC wouldn't want to air their competitions promos. Hell CBS doesn't even run enough promos for it's own soaps. I feel like my affiliate hardly runs Y&R promos period. Oh and the promos I've seen running on TV for OLTL and AMC are not good.We judge the promos the tv soaps put out all the time but I havent seen much criticism about their promos. Doesn't give me alot of hope for the product they will put out.

Archived