When and Why Did Cartini Lose Favor on This Board?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tess never would have worked because DID stories make me sick. It doesn't help that RC made her into a carbon copy of Annie Lennox in the "I Need a Man" music video, but stories on alternate personalites have always creeped me out. The Spencer Truman days were horrific. The only Higley creations I liked were Hugh Hughes and Claudia Reston (Nash's ex who should have been a foil for Jess), and they were very minor characters.

People were praising RC way too much in 2009 and 2010. People blamed Frons for the disastrous stories in 2009 and much of 2010. I think the hype died in early 2010 when the actors who played Rachel, Sky, Fish, and Kyle were fired. It also changed in mid to late 2010 with Eli being OMG THE EVUL, especially in regards to Tea's "cancer". He finally started getting more blame with the awful, awful Ford brothers, Jessica (who is maybe the most ruined character I've seen on a soap), and Gex hell (Rex/Gigi).

I think Ron first took some blame in late 2008 with the rapemance. So of course Ron did damage control by rewriting the story with TSJTodd not being the real Todd Manning.

• Members

When he made Eli the evil baddie, that is when I lost any shred of an opinion that Cartini were talented. You don't take a good looking grey character like Eli, who also had good chemistry with Blair.. and turn him into an evil character.. just so Blair could go back to wanting Todd/Victor Jr again.

Plus, I wasn't a fan of the super short scenes. Just as I was starting to get into the scene, we would be flashing to a new scene then back again. It gave me whip-lash and made me wonder why they couldn't just have the short, chopped up scenes air as one longer scene (a 2 or 3 minute continuous scene isn't too much to ask for.. instead of scenes that last 1 minute.. if at that).

• Members

Talk about revisionist history. I won't disagree that Natalie took over while ET was still in the role, but it was brief, and wouldn't have lasted if ET had remained. But once they cast Bree, she was the darling and she had one bad story after another IMHO. They spent more time writing emmy bait for that chick than telling stories.

• Members

This was one of the best stories never told to come along in years on Daytime. They dropped in 2 weeks so we could have Spencer Truman 9 days a week as his backstory changed each week, sometimes each eppy. Shudders!

Coulson being gay was fine, and that story could have carried the show for at least a year. Having him kill Lindsay's daughter (forget her name) was absolutely ridiculous. The DA's husband just happens to be gay and he's having an affair with his son's best friend? Who cans this so that Spencer can run around town and hide behind garbage cans? My god! No one cares about drama anymore. I want to cry :(

• Members

That explains why GH has a similiar feel with their scenes that OLTL had. I knew that All My children had somewhat longer scenes so i knew it couldn't have been a Frons mandate.

This 'innovation' ended up killing off the little moments that made soaps of yesteryear so much richer. I understand that 5 to 7 minutes scene are a thing of the past.. but you can certainly compromise at 3 to 4 minutes.

I'll be interested to see if OLTL and AMC will have longer scenes or not.

Archived