TNT revived Dallas why can't it revive ATWT and GL??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really don't care about AMC or OLTL being revived. I'm over them. Actually by the time they were canceled I had stopped watching.

As far as reviving a soap not to sure about that. Creating new soaps that are different from the ones currently on air would be appealing. As for the past few years all the soaps have been resembling each other too closely.

• Members

I believe it is far harder to create brand new soaps (look at how many failed even when soaps were thriving). It is far better to take an existing brand (like AMC and OLTL or any of the P&G soaps) for three reasons: 1) you have a huge fan base from which to start; 2) you have a canon to work from with a few existing characters/actors; and 3) the beauty of soaps is that they can evolve into something new under the same brand. Think Y&R in the early 80s - the entire show flipped from boring piano playing into Jabot in a matter of six- to nine months.

Forget the prime time venue for daytime soaps - except for Dark Shadows and Edge, which really encompassed more elements of L&O before L&O existed. It could work as a procedural quite easily. It was far more about the crime in the city than soapy love stories.

• Members
The man who produces the day time Emmy Awards claims that he wanted to revive guiding light but was rejected by Procter and Gamble production. Evidently they did not approve of his vision and desire to replace the majority of the cast with younger actots. Personally, I think ATWT may return because it is the only PGP soap not doing that cheezy AW TODAY Twitter thing. I think TPTB must see the soap as thier strongest brand. GlL was too damaged and EON is just to retro and distant. I do wonder if CBS would pick up Days if NBC cancelled the show. Soaps still earn more than game shows and I am concinced LMAD willget the ax.

• Members

Actually, if someone were to revive EDGE OF NIGHT in some format, the fact that the original series is far removed from the zeitgeist might work in their favor.

DARK SHADOWS attempted to revive itself both as a primetime series and as a movie; neither was successful. The reason, I think, had to do with the original series, minus some episodes, being available on VHS and DVD. Granted, the original series was not what you might call quality television (not even by daytime standards). Nevertheless, it was readily available for people to watch and compare with; and usually, viewers both old and new found that the original series had an indescribable quality the latter, more polished incarnations simply lacked.

Conversely, aside from older viewers' memories and whatever's available still on YT, what else is floating around "out there" to remind folks, especially ones who were born or came of age after 1984, on a regular basis about EON? A new EON could be launched without relying on nostalgia to help it along; and from there, it can build an audience of its own (...or not...), on its own terms, without always being compared to its predecessor.

• Members

I don't think the DS problems were down to the original being available, I just think that the show had a very unique formula (part serious, part camp, part completely unintentional camp), some one-of-a-kind actors (Joel Crothers was one of the best "true blue" heroes around; Alexandra Moltke was the perfect ingenue, Lara Parker was the best bitch-with-a-heart, Jonathan Frid was charismatic and haunted, Grayson Hall was a one woman show and charismatic as hell, David Selby was a matinee idol, Joan Bennett was pure class, Nancy Barrett was diverse, electric, and beautiful, Louis Edmonds was the perfect stuffy uncle/father), and a very specific era where this was going to shine. They also had Dan Curtis and Gordon Russell. The primetime series was too serious. The movie was too campy.

Edge of Night could easily be revived. The show is timeless. The episodes available haven't dated a bit, other than hair and fashion and technology. If you have a writer who can write a mystery, knows how to pace a plot, has respect for the law, and can write strong female characters, you have a show. You even have Frances Fisher, Ann Flood, and Forrest Compton, if they're willing or able to appear. I think Deborah as a grizzled police chief, still earnest after all these years, and Mike and Nancy as figureheads who show up sometimes.

Daytime currently has none of these.

• Members

When I was in college I worked up a very elaborate DS revival spanning five seasons in the vein of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in some ways - monsters of the week, a big villain but overarching, ongoing stories. It didn't reboot the franchise but it allowed for some appearances and some returning characters. The movie stopped even the germ of that idea totally in its tracks for anyone, I suspect, but looking back some ten-plus years now it's not at all removed from most of the shows on the CW. Sadly, since then Joss Whedon has inception'ed all my ideas out of my brain.

I do think EON is prime for a revival. It's got huge possibilities. I've told this story, but back when OLTL was doing nothing but murder mysteries and the Music Box Killer SL was actually working, I desperately wanted them to have John and Bo visit Monticello while working a case, and do a guest appearance for the Karrs - since EON ended up, IIRC, as an ABC soap.

Archived