DAYS cancelled in Australia after 45 years

• Members

Because Days goes off every year for the summer break,they were getting further and further behind and I think ratings were slipping.

A number of years ago they decided to skip 3 years of DOOL and Y&R and show a special catch up episode to help viewers keep track. Melody Thomas Scott hosted the Y&R catch up but I'm not sure who hosted the Days ep.

I think the problem was that viewers now had the internet to catchup on stories and the Aussie soap magazines found it difficult to balance what was airing in Australia with what was happening in the States.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They really should've just aired it year-round in that case. What a waste sad.png Though, to be fair, if the ratings posted are correct, that means that LESS THAN 1% of Australians were watching DAYS every week. Not that they're comparable, but it'd be like the show getting a 0.5 on NBC. YIKES!

• Members

Days and Y&R got interrupted by the Cricket every summer (starting around 1980 when the network got the rights) and would go on hiatus for December each year, regardless of any Cricket being shown. So we would lose around 2-3 months every year.

Back then you couldn't do much unless someone could tape it and send it to you, now I watch online, because who wants to wait a year and a half. I think that is where most people have gone to get tv from overseas. Networks here have been smart enough to show some primetime shows within hours of airing in the U.S but a daytime soap has less value to them.

Sad to see it go, but with such low ratings not a surprise. Feel more sorry for any older generations not tech savvy who might have still been watching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Seriously, how many foreign soaps have made it the US? The fact that US soaps had incredibly long runs in so many diverse countries is nothing short of amazing. And, yes, technology definitely changed the game, which is not a bad thing. After all, it's because of streaming that AMC/OLTL will return.

• Members

Wow. I guess if they pair it up with B&B it could do better ratings wise as B&B still seems to do ok here. Though from what I hear channel 10 is in dire straits at the moment. Maybe Days will be a cheap alternative to any Australian content currently airing.

And true about it being all year round, apart from the Melbourne Cup once a year Channel 10 doesn't pre-empt B&B at all. One of the reasons we are seeing episodes so soon after the U.S

Archived