2 years ago today was BLACK THURSDAY? Was it the worst day in soap history?

• Members

Well said, I agree for me the GL cancellation on April Fools 2009 was worse.

JONNYSBRO may have meant something different with 911 than people are taking it as, as the original post said "911" (like the emergency line), not 9/11.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't like the comparison to that day in 2001. That said I have no problem using the term Black Thursday, even if it is a tad melodramatic. When it comes to the GL cancellation having it come on April 1st was awful because some people thought it was some sort of joke and didn't believe it was true. When they realized it was it was an additional hit in the gut.

• Members

911 could stand for emergency or mayday/distress call for the soap industry, and the day could refer to the day of cancellation. The 911 could merely be an adjective for the day of cancellation.

I'm just saying, let's not jump to conclusions before jumping all over the original poster.

• Members

I've heard of Black Thursday. The other one? Yeah no.

April 1st 2009 was harsh, but I do feel that the double whammy OLTL/AMC was epic because 2 iconic shows were dumped on the same day (and unlike The Doctors & Texas' 1982 cancellations, there weren't another 11-12 soaps on the air to turn to), one of which starred THE FACE of daytime soaps, Miss Susan Lucci. It really was a harsh wake-up call (at least, at the time) that daytime soap operas were done.

But now, 2 years later, we have much reason to CELEBRATE!

Archived